April 2016 Moms

Chances of NOT having a miscarriage.

2»

Re: Chances of NOT having a miscarriage.

• My first pregnancy I had a miscarriage I was supposed to be 9 weeks they told me the babies heart didn't develop and I looked 6 weeks I miscarried a week after the doctor visit ..I'm 5 weeks 4 days pregnant today and I am sort of worried and scared for my second pregnancy hasn't been to the doctors yet my appoint is for sept.3 should I go sooner?
  • Loading the player...
  • My first pregnancy I had a miscarriage I was supposed to be 9 weeks they told me the babies heart didn't develop and I looked 6 weeks I miscarried a week after the doctor visit ..I'm 5 weeks 4 days pregnant today and I am sort of worried and scared for my second pregnancy hasn't been to the doctors yet my appoint is for sept.3 should I go sooner?

That's up to you. A lot of doctors will see you earlier when you've had a previous m/c. You can call and express your history and concerns and see if they can see you sooner
  • Poppy16 said:

I miscarried at 18 weeks. The chances of that happening are like, 0.02%. There was no good reason for it as far as anyone could tell. Honestly, I have checked this chart at least every few days to calm myself and give myself hope for this pregnancy. Sure, I may miscarry, but I don't want to spend this pregnancy worrying about it all the time. I'd rather enjoy what time I have.

I'm so glad it's helped you!!!

3 miscarriages - 1 DS (6) - 1 DD (3)  - #3 due March 30!

• Thanks for this. First time being pregnant and I'm so nervous and scared. Husband is very supportive so that is helping.
  • Thank you!! I'm pregnant for the first time and every little twinge makes me think there might be something wrong! Seeing this will help me relax...so thank you again!!
  • I miscarried in April at 11 weeks.... which is rare in and of itself. Not to mention I have 4 perfect, healthy boys... including twins.. which is odd to have complications on pregnancy # 5 (pg #4 was a BO). I am now right at 5 weeks and living in constant fear! Like... constant!
    I don't think anything will help me relax and just enjoy the moment
  • Bump

DD#1 born 3/28/16

• Thank you so much for this. I'm scared sh--less to have another m/c, and now I just want to give you creepy internet hugs.

Edit: gif fail

This!! After two miscarriages this year well into a "low" miscarriage percentage, this still makes me feel somewhat better. I am realistic especially after my losses but this is comforting.
  • I have a copy of this and I cross off each day as it passes. It helps me to relax and focus on the fact that things get better each day.

One question, does anyone know what happens to these statistics once you see the heartbeat? I'm 6w6d today and I just had my ultrasound where we saw the healthy heartbeat! So I'm curious what that does to the daily percentages.
  • This list puts my mind at ease.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Thanks for the info! I'm reading a book called "Expecting Better" that has a very small chapter that looks at the miscarriage rates by week and this seems to match up with it. I'll probably still worry until the delivery, but it's nice to have to remind myself that even though it could happen, the odds are in my favor (and that at least right now I'm pregnant!).
  • I have a copy of this and I cross off each day as it passes. It helps me to relax and focus on the fact that things get better each day. One question, does anyone know what happens to these statistics once you see the heartbeat? I'm 6w6d today and I just had my ultrasound where we saw the healthy heartbeat! So I'm curious what that does to the daily percentages.
    If you want to look into more detailed statistics, this website is an amazing summary of the research. https://sites.google.com/site/miscarriageresearch/miscarriage-general

It takes into account things like maternal age, past losses, other health risk. And to answer your question, yes the risk goes down drastically after a heartbeat is detected. Morning sickness decreases your risk too. Interesting stuff.

Personally, I find statistics comforting, especially after my recent loss. I understand the posters who feel differently though: odds and risk and stats are all interesting, but things will either happen or they won't. This time, I'm taking comfort in the thought that the odds of another miscarriage happening twice in a row are really really low.
    DS1 12/30/13
    Miscarriage 3/15 at 10 weeks
    BFP 7/23/15 EDD 4/3/16

• These statistics are really useful on the day of a normal scan for dates, in a singleton pregnancy. In between scans their accuracy is reduced. I'm more of a facts than a feelings kind of person and I like this information but it can't be used on a daily basis without a daily scan.
  • MT2015MT said:

jonesl12 said:

This chart is the odds of a healthy embryo developing . It does not take into consideration other factors such as a SCH, progesterone levels, etc. I have seen people loose their babies at 38 -41 weeks in the office. I'm not being a Debbie downer I'm being realistic. I'm not a fan of these charts however if it gives somebody some sort of comfort then how bad can it be? Just don't be naive

I'm an L&D nurse so I see it all too. I don't think we should live in fear of all the what-ifs, but as someone who has celebrated a heartbeat for a baby and then was in a D&C a few weeks later, I just wish seeing a heartbeat made me feel better, or being at the end of first tri made me feel better. After a loss it really feels like there's no safe zone. So, if it brings comfort, wonderful! Please, have faith that your baby will be okay! I will say an ultrasound table can be one of the best places of your life and one of the worst places of your life. But I only know that because I was in the 1-2%. I pray none of you EVER find yourself in that 1-2%. I wouldn't wish that on anyone and don't want people to worry. But personally, these charts mean nothing. That's all I'm saying. 

And if they DO mean something to you - be thankful! Becuase it probably means you've never been on the wrong side of them. <3:)

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for saying this. Having losses at 9 and 10 weeks after seeing growing babies with strong heartbeats, tables like this don't do much for me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sarahufl said:

sarahufl said:

MT2015MT said:

These odds used to be comforting- I wish I was still naive enough to think I could never fall in the 1-2%. :( odds just don't mean much when you've found yourself on the wrong side of them.

My thoughts exactly- I actually think this post is crap. Pregnancy loss is hard enough without others pointing it out to you how unlikely it is to happen. 

This actually is meant to provide comfort, not to rub the possibility of a miscarriage in anyones face. I think every woman who reads this post is already anxious and nervous about miscarriages, and for some, seeing these statistics can be reassuring during times when you have nothing else to go off of.

It isn't that I don't understand the point of the post. It is that I think it is ridiculous and frankly not helpful when you DO find yourself in that small percentage.

Then it isn't for you.
  • After MCing in March at 8 weeks, I find comfort in the statistic my doctor shared with me. Unfortunately this is a topic that rarely comes up in conversation but happens to 1/5 women trying to conceive. It is more common than we would like to think. But that also means 4/5 will have healthy pregnancies, and a woman that miscarries will likely go on to have another healthy pregnancy.

I am hoping for a sticky one this time!