April 2014 Moms

Head banging

My sweet and oh so darling LO is starting to get quite a little temper! When I pull him away from something he wants (like an electrical socket or the cabinet with glass bowls in, how dare I?!), he gets so mad and will try to bang his head...either on me if I'm holding him, or on the floor if he's down. He does it pretty dang hard too. At first it freaked me out and I'd take his face in my hands, say no, and calm him down. Now I try to pretty much ignore it so he doesn't get any attention from it. He's done it maybe 5 or 6 times, and starting to get a little more frequent. I'd like to nip it in the bud! What do yall think?

Re: Head banging

• It's totally normal. If you haven't become one already, you will soon be an expert at grabbing their heads before they whack it!  After grabbing the head, I give her a short little "I'm sorry you're so mad", attempt a peace offering of another object, and then usually walk away. Sometimes I pick her up to calm her and sometimes I don't because I feel like it's good for her to learn to calm herself down rather than rely on me to do it.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks @Smores730! Glad to know he's not the only one. I give the "sorry you're mad" speech too. Now I need to get the expert head grabber tricks down! I'm gettin better!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes! We have this going on too. I have a fat lip right now because of it. I'm glad to hear we are not alone. I also do the "I know you are mad/frustrated, and I'm sorry about that. But you need to be kind to yourself and others" speech. ;) gotta get faster moves though! He is sporting a linear bruise on his forehead today from banging it on the windowsill before I could stop him. :(
  • Same here! He slapped me across the face earlier because I wouldn't let him unplug his night light. Mommy needed a time out after that one!
  • Yes! Same exact thing here too. And just recently he started the face slapping. I am not sure if it's intentional or just more of a flailing arms thing.
  • So we're still head banging over here, and now he hits himself in the head/face too. He hasn't tried hitting me or anyone else (yet), thank goodness. I'm so over this phase! How long does this last?!