January 2016 Moms
Options

Moms with sons

So there's a saying that your son is your son til he gets a wife, your daughter is your daughter for life. Do you agree in your observations? Is this something you ever think about? I know it's crazy to think about now, just curious because my sister and I were debating it last night (she has 2 boys, no girls). My MIL has 3 boys and adopted a girl. I dearly love her and am probably closer to her than my mom, who is a bit crazy, so I think it's not true, but my sister thinks it is. Thoughts?

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

Best Answers

• Options
    mommaSimpkinmommaSimpkin member
    Answer ✓
    Definitely not.. In my opinion.
    DH is a complete mommas boy. Before and after we got married. MIL says "jump", he says "how high".
    He's even super close to my mom. He's wrapped around her finger too.

My DS is a huge mommas boy. It's like he sees me as his best friend. I don't think that's ever gonna change.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    UptownPearlUptownPearl member
    Answer ✓
    My DH's parents made him choose between me and them, so in our case it's true, but his mom is a control freak. All my brothers adore my mom and that will never change! Just don't be a controlling mom. When he gets married accept his wife as your own daughter.
  • Options
    JandJ62914JandJ62914 member
    Answer ✓
    My MIL loves to quote this and she's made me feel like she blames me because DH hardly calls her. His sister calls their mom every day, but he chooses to call once a week to check in since going away to college 12 years ago. It has nothing to with being married to me! She is over bearing and doesn't respect boundaries so this is a choice he's made. I actually encourage him to call more frequently.

She also constantly says, "When a daughter gets married you gain a son, when a son gets married you lose a son." This bugs me because it makes me feel like in her mind she gained my SIL's husband, but not me! I've said something and so has DH, but she still says it.

I think it depends on the people involved in each case... If the son stops calling because the wife forces him to always choose her family instead it's one thing. But if it's been that way since before the marriage then I think it's an unfair statement!
  • Options
    Ju111310Ju111310 member
    Answer ✓
    It's an irrational fear of mine. I have one son, and if this LO is a boy I worry that I'll be more alone as an adult then if I had a daughter. I tell my H that we might need 3, because I think I'd be a better MIL if I had three boys vs two. If there were three DILs, maybe I wouldn't annoy them as much lol

I know deep down that it just depends on what sort of relationship you have with your children and their spouses. My MIL has two sons and the other one lives 8 hours away, so she is super overbearing and always barging in our house and overstepping boundaries. In the past, we had a decent relationship but she has never been close to my H. However, she really caused the mama bear in me to come out when I had DS and now I can hardly stand to be in the same room with her.

Re: Moms with sons

• Options
    Sooo I just noticed I posted this as a question. Damn fat fingers while mobile! Hope that doesn't mess anything up...

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015