Babies on the Brain

GTKY - what's your ride

- and what do you wish it was?

Re: GTKY - what's your ride

• The "New Car on the Brain" thread made me wonder what everyone drives - and what you'd like to drive if you could. I drive a 2010 Jeep Patriot. It's nice and roomy but gets terrible mileage. I'd love to one day own a fisker (not likely lol) or at least try driving one but would settle for any newer Audi - I love German engineering and it's stupid but I always loved the way their headlights look.
  • Oh, man. DH and I just recently went through a tiff where I was begging to trade my car in. I'm wanting an SUV so freaking badly right now. No other reason other than want, want, want though... I know once we get pregnant, we'll finally have a reason for me to upgrade but right now it's not necessary. I get great gas mileage and (I'm pretty sure it was just to get me to shut up and realize we aren't trading my car in any time soon) we just paid it off. Once we get DH's truck paid off, I might have better leverage. There's no reason for us to have more than one car payment at a time, if any... Sigh.

What I drive now:
    2012 Honda Civic EX-L

What I am interested in (New):
    Acura RDX (or MDX, if the next body style is less ugly than the current...)
    Honda Pilot (the new 2016 is sooo much nicer than the previous body style, otherwise I wouldn't be interested in this)
    Toyota Highlander
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• Loading the player...
  • als1982als1982 member
    edited August 2015
    I drive a 2001 Honda Accord and H drives a 2001 Toyota Corolla.  I love my paid for beater!  We hope to have our student loans paid off in 2016, after which we'll start saving for an upgrade.  I'm thinking either a Toyota 4-Runner or a Jeep Patriot, likely between model years 2010-2012 considering an esitmated budget of no more than $12,000.
  • We just bought a 2005 Chevy Tahoe and love it!! Love having no car payment too :) 
    If I had my choice and money was no object, I guess I would want a brand new Toyota Sequoia or Chevy Tahoe. Maybe the hybrid! 
  • Since I initiated the "new car on the brain" thread I feel obligated to post! :). I currently drive a Volvo c30, which is a small two door car. I've been looking at wagons, possibly an outback. I love the Volvo wagons but they are so expensive! My DH drives a 4 runner and we love it, I just hope to get a baby friendly vehicle soon myself so that we don't have so many expenses once we're actually expecting.
  • My DH drives a 2008 Pontiac G6.
    I drive a 2013 Kia Sorento. We just purchased (well still paying for) last year. It was the only 3rd row seating in our price range at the time. It has been great. It's really nice. We bought it used so I purchased the extended warrenty. We have only had a warning light come on and they fixed it. I did leave butter on the 3rd row seat and still trying to get it out. The only thing I hate is the interior is tan and it gets dirty easy.
  • We currently have a 2011 Nissan Sentra and we love her lol...we originally were going to purchase a Chevy Cruze because I'm just obsessed over how it looks (I think it's just the cutest car haha).  Once we test drove both cars, we decided the Sentra was better for us because he has SO much more room in the back seat than the Cruze, despite looking smaller.  We also like the fact that our back seat can fold down if/when we need extra space. 

If money was no object, I think we'd still keep our Sentra, but we'd also get a crossover/SUV as well.  We were thinking of either a Nissan Rogue, Pathfinder or a Toyota Rav 4.

Either way, I'm just glad we didn't end up with my husband's pick...he originally wanted a Spark...way too tiny for us and not family friendly!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I have a Honda Civic and I LOVE it.  Knock on wood, it's 4 years old and not a single problem, even thought I put on a ton of local miles.

H has a Subaru Legacy and it's been horrible the entire 8 years.  Just problem after problem since the beginning and we're looking to get rid of it soon.  We are looking at a Honda Accord and H is sold on a Chrysler 300, which is such an old man car!  I don't like it though.
  • I have a Honda Fit and love it so much! H has a Subaru Impreza.

If kids weren't in our plans, I'd want a Mini for my next car. I'm less fond of the big four door ones. You can probably tell I'm a small car fan! H would like a Forester but the Impreza is new and not going anywhere for a while.
  • jenfarm3jenfarm3 member
    edited August 2015
    I have a Honda Civic and I LOVE it.  Knock on wood, it's 4 years old and not a single problem, even thought I put on a ton of local miles.
    My little Honda Civic has been awesome too! She has high miles too (according to the dealerships when I try to get trade in estimates on it. LOL. They're high but not terrible... averaged out, I've put a little over 16k/year on her. But she's been driven from Oregon to Texas during our move and we usually take her on our road trips because she gets better gas mileage than the truck, obviously. Haha.) But *knock on wood* I haven't had any issues with her and over 4 years later, I still haven't even had to have my brakes done, which is crazy to me! She's been a little trooper of a car. I really do love her. :) She's a great car to have paid off, title in hand. Makes me feel like such an adult. LOL.

I'm just so ready for something bigger... sigh. 

• @jenfarm3 I can't quote for some reason but I hear you - my parents watch LO every Sunday afternoon and live in a very high end neighborhood. It's silly but I always feel like I stick out when I go to get him next to all the BMWs and Mercedes. On the other hand I don't envy the price tag of those cars lol.
  • Shiva14 said:
    @jenfarm3 I can't quote for some reason but I hear you - my parents watch LO every Sunday afternoon and live in a very high end neighborhood. It's silly but I always feel like I stick out when I go to get him next to all the BMWs and Mercedes. On the other hand I don't envy the price tag of those cars lol.
    I felt so bad about that part of my comment, I deleted it. I'll admit it. Lol. 

I feel sick too. I hate that for a second I even considered buying a Benz SUV. DH wasn't crazy about the idea (he's the financially level headed one of the two of us) but he usually always ends up giving me what I want. (I sound like such a spoiled brat, ew.) After thinking about it though, I had a moment of "omg, you're so stupid" and I snapped out of it. We could afford one but we are both pretty conservative with our purchases (it just takes me longer to get there and out of my "but I want, want, want" impulses. LOL.) An Acura is the highest end luxury make we'd be interested in and it's only because DH used to have a TL that he absolutely loved. We only just traded it in because it was 10 years old and starting to get quirky. And we really needed a truck. Both of us having two cars was getting old.

I just can't imagine spending that much money on a VEHICLE. Meh.

• Currently driving a 2010 Mustang, but seriously itching for a 4-door Jeep Wrangler. We will likely make the switch sometime during my hopefully soon-to-exist pregnancy. Since uhhh.... baby seat and mustang aren't terribly compatible! Definitely struggling a little with giving up my sports car life, I was hoping (and still am!) that i could convince my husband to take the Mustang for his daily driver and move his own vehicle (a fancy modified Ford Raptor) onto a collector car insurance and drive it a lot less. Still is a possibility but he would prefer I sell the mustang and get the jeep, and he also gets another new car. >.< So well see! lol
  • Currently, we have one vehicle between us both, a 2006 Honda CRV. Great, reliable car. Our wee town is so small (DH works a 3 minute walk from our home) that one car has been totally sufficient for us so far. I think we'll need to double up closer to baby time though. No car payments for the past 3 years has been super nice! 
  • My husband surprised me and bought me the car I've been eyeing but never thought we would ever have- a Ford Fusion Hybrid. I'm so happy with it. I have a long commute so it's nice to have a hybrid.

If I won the lottery though, I'd buy a navy Tesla Model S.
  • I currently drive a 2011 Cadillac SRX turbo package. I LOVE it. In 5 or 6 years when we trade it in I will probably want either a new SRX or a new Audi cross over style SUV. My husband thinks by then (hopefully with baby #2) I will want a full size SUV, but I disagree.
    Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• I drive a 2010 Mercury Milan which I love - it's an awesome car. DH drives a 2010 Audi A6. We were thinking of getting an SUV, but after looking at a couple different ones, I realized the back seat of my Milan is actually larger than most of the smaller SUVs' back seats. I'm not keen on getting a huge SUV because we just don't need it and they are harder to maneuver. We'll see I guess if we do end up getting an SUV once we have 2 in car seats!
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • I have a 2014 Kia Sorento and hubby has a 2015 Kia Optima.

I truly have nothing but good things to say about Kia... They look great, drive great, and we have a full 10 year extended warranty on them. We get our oil changes at the dealership and if anything is wrong they fix it on the spot, for free... for 10 YEARS!

I'm definitely a Kia convert... switched from an Audi A4
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I drive an 09' Audi Q5 that I bought brand new 6 years ago. I love everything about it, but we are growing out of it. I test drove the Q7, but if we have #3, all will be in car seats, so captains chairs are a must for us. Unfortunately, it limits our options. Cadillacs is suppose to be coming out with a new XT5...there were some rumors that it may be a 7 passenger, built on the GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse platform. In other words, not as big as the escalade, but not as small as the SRX. Waiting to see. It may just be my next car! DH has a 15' Cadillac ATS V6 coupe. It's his commuter and our date night car ;-) There is a booster in the back for our oldest, but it is definitely not child friendly!

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

• We have a 2009 Chevy Impala, my boyfriends choice. I want a Hyundai Sonata, I had one and loved it !
  • @amberrmariee20 My husband drives a Hyundai and loves it. Such a great brand!
  • @amberrmariee20 My husband drives a Hyundai and loves it. Such a great brand!

I loved mine, I had a 2005 Hyundai Sonata and it was an amazing car !
  • I had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra and loved it until I was in a 3 car accident 2 months ago. I wasn't injured much but no air bags deployed and it made me worry about safety. Before the accident we said we weren't going to buy a new vehicle. We replaced the Elantra with a 2014 Mazda 6 and I love it. It has vents in the back and a large trunk. When we were shopping we wanted a car with a lot of room and I feel like I got that and good gas mileage to boot! :)

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• sldp123sldp123 member
    edited August 2015
    I have a 2014 Kia Sorento and hubby has a 2015 Kia Optima.

I truly have nothing but good things to say about Kia... They look great, drive great, and we have a full 10 year extended warranty on them. We get our oil changes at the dealership and if anything is wrong they fix it on the spot, for free... for 10 YEARS!

I'm definitely a Kia convert... switched from an Audi A4

I have a 2014 Kia Sorento, too. It's actually my second Sorento, I had a 2008 before this one. I love it.

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17