Late Term and Child Loss

Cremation for your little angel??

I lost my son late in my pregnancy.
I was 22 weeks along. Anyone who lost thier baby this late, did you opt for cremation over a funeral/burial? If so why did you? Me and hubby wanted a cremation. Any one else out there wanna share.

Re: Cremation for your little angel??

• My loss is a little different because my daughter was 3 1/2.  We did have her cremated, something we immediately agreed on.  I'm glad we did because we are getting ready to move out of state and I couldn't imagine leaving her behind.
  • My son was born at 22 weeks as well and we decided on cremation as well. We knew we would be moving next summer and I couldn't think about leaving him here.
    ***Siggy Warning Child and Loss***

Officially diagnosed with unexplained infertility after 4 years of TTC
    IUI#2 gave us DS#1 who became an angel a few minutes after birth from Noonan syndrome
    IUI#4 gave us DS#2 - going strong as a toddler!

TTC again... Found a clinical trial for unexplained infertility and finished 16 weeks of "lifestyle intervention"
    Cycle #1 - cancelled for ovarian cyst x3...
  • Loading the player...
  • Our son was still born at 31 weeks and we also decided to have him cremated. My husband built a small box to store his ashes in and for now, it is in our bedroom. Someday we may scatter some of his ashes or use them to plant a tree or something, but at the time of his death i wasn't ready to make any of those decisions and just wanted him with me. It helped having his ashes, and for the first year after his death, I would take them with us when we travelled.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Me: 32 DH: 33  High School Sweethearts  Married 5/28/2005
    DS1 born 6/5/10 at 40 weeks via emergency c-section due to fetal distress and IUGR caused by placental insufficiency
    DS2 born still 8/28/13 at 32 weeks via emergency c-section due to a complete placental abruption - cause unknown
    Baby #3 on the way, EDD 2/29/16.  Originally twins, but we said goodbye to Baby B at 8 weeks.
  • We chose cremation mostly because we wanted to keep her with us, I guess.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• stefuge said:
    Our son was still born at 31 weeks and we also decided to have him cremated. My husband built a small box to store his ashes in and for now, it is in our bedroom. Someday we may scatter some of his ashes or use them to plant a tree or something, but at the time of his death i wasn't ready to make any of those decisions and just wanted him with me. It helped having his ashes, and for the first year after his death, I would take them with us when we travelled.
     This. We lost our twins at 22 weeks and we had them cremated as well. I have no idea if we will scatter them someday, but at the time it was the best decision for our family. 
  • @MamaBish @stefuge and @kistra we decided on the cremation for the same reasons, I wanted him with me and not left behind somewhere. I'm not sure if I am
    Ready to scatter his ashes yet. I'm too emotional to make those kind of decisions yet. It is comforting to have a piece of our son with us at all times : )
  • While our son was older, we decided on cremation as well. We moved right after his passing and felt that we made the right decision. DH and I also both got a necklace from www.perfectmemorials.com that hold a small amount of his ashes and I wear it often so that he is close to my heart.
    Married my rock - April 29, 2011
    BFP - June 4, 2011 EDD February 3, 2012
    Super T born @ 37 weeks - January 13, 2012
    Super T diagnosed with stage IV high risk Neuroblastoma nmyc-amp - January 2, 2013
    Super T cancer free - June 19, 2013
    Super T relapsed - January 2, 2014
    Super T earned his angel wings - January 3, 2014

TTC for #2 beginning November 2014
    BFP #2 - Chemical Pregnancy - Confirmed May 29, 2015
    Diagnosed with PCOS; HSG - Clear; SA - Clear
    Clomid #1 - BFN
    Femera Cycle #2 - BFN
    Femera Cycle #3 - BFP 11/10/15 - EDD 07/14/16

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Our daughter Olivia was stillborn at 35 weeks, and we chose to cremate as well.  However, we also buried half of her ashes.  I wanted to always be able to have her with me, but felt it important to give her "her own place" on this earth.  Cremation allowed for us to achieve both.  It was a heart wrenching decision, and I struggled with it for sometime....  I am at peace 100% with our decision.  A part of her is always at home with us in her nursery, and we also have her gravesite to go to, so that mommy, daddy, friends and family may honor her as well.
  • My husband and I lost our first child at 22 weeks aswell. After talking to the therapist at the hospital we decided to have our little one cremated after her autopsy. We planted a tree in our yard in her memory and spread her ashes in the same spot where we got married. No one else knows where we spread the ashes. My husband and I wanted to keep her all to ourselves if that makes sense.
  • My son was stillborn at 39 weeks. We chose cremation because we were moving states and wanted to keep him with us. It has helped us so much to have him with us in our home.
  • I lost my son at 24w. Picking a place to bury him was just too much and I needed him with me. I have no regrets.

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• I lost my son at 36 weeks, and we decided to have him cremated. My reasons were the same as everyone else, I just wanted to keep him close. I do not regret my decision at all. Maybe one day I'll find a final resting place for his ashes, but for now he is staying with his family.
  • I lost my baby girl at 19 weeks, 2 weeks ago and we decided to have her cremated. She weighed only 9 oz so there weren't a lot of ashes so we thought it'd be nice to get little pendants to put her ashes in that could either be worn on a necklace or stored somewhere.. We got two of those (one for each of us) and because they were soo tiny we also got a little heart shaped urn box thing to put the rest of her ashes in. We had them engraved and I really like that shes home with us and if we moved we could take her with us.
  • I lost my little girl at 21w6d A week and half ago we chose to have her cremated I always want her near me we wouldn't want her left behind anywhere it felt wrong to us but I'm very happy I'll always have her with me she has a heart urn and were each getting necklaces with some of her ashes put in so she's always with us.
  • houstongirl77houstongirl77 member
    edited August 2015
    So sorry for your Loss @mamalucy15 our son is home with us and I feel better knowing he is here. I can't stand to look at his urn so we put it away out of sight : ( my condolences to you
  • I'm going to lose one of my twin daughter to anencephaly. After organ donation, we are going to cremate her so we can have her home with us.
  • You will feel better palcala having your angel home with you, I know I do. 
  • Our sweet Carleigh, born just shy of 28 weeks and passed the next day, was cremated.  My husband and I wanted to keep her near, so that was why we had her cremated.  Her urn fits nicely inside the keepsake box we were given at the hospital for her.  
  • We cremated our son. We chose a heart shaped urn for him, and then placed him inside a birth announcement bear with all his information on it. We get to keep him with us. I couldn't imagine burrying him. It was hard enough leaving him in the morgue for the autopsy. I didnt sleep until I had him home with me.

Little boy due July 31st 2016

• My husband and I lost our daughter at 37 weeks. We had her cremated. Same reason as everyone else. I could handle being away from her. Also my husband is USMC so we could be anywhere and I am not leaving her in some other place. This was in April of this year. I am now pregnant almost 5 months with a precious little boy. I'm scared to breath bit super excited
  • We recently lost our son and also had him cremated. I wasn't ready to be with out him in any way, we are also moving across country in about 6 months and did not want to leave him behind. We have both have talked and i don't think scattering his ashes is something that we will be comfortable with- but i could also just be feeling this since his loss is so new. 
    My sassy girl; Rylan 8-24-11
    My big boy; Gunner 6-26-13
    My angel; Memphis 9-12-15
  • @UhBrittany I understand how you feel. I don't think I will ever want to scatter his ashes either. I just want him with me in any way he can be. So sorry for your loss. Hugs to you
  • smaguire77smaguire77 member
    edited October 2015
    Lost my daughter at 38 weeks, 11 days ago and we decided on cremation. I can't bear the thought of being too far away from her and having to leave her behind when we move. I also like the idea of putting her in places I can visit and that she loved, like the beach. She always danced into belly in the water and twirled when I laid in the sun. ❤️
    I purposely picked a small urn and asked for a smaller container as well so I can always have pieces of her with me in my home and have ashes to scatter.
  • Loss our baby last Friday
    We opted Cremation, to keep all family together in one place..
    And old age.. Of death wish..You can have your baby's ashes transfer.
  • We lost our son, Jack, at 22 weeks last summer. We had him cremated and have been sprinkling small amounts of his ashes in all the places we love and had imagined and hoped to bring him in life - my parents' house where we were married, the lake we go to in the summer, etc. At each place we have had private "ceremonies" just us two and our daughter. We have each spoken to him about the place and shared memories. In that way, we feel like we are interweaving him into our lives, past and future. It has helped me so much.
  • My husband and I initially wanted to cremate, but our loss counseling nurse told us babies could be buried with grandparents as an option and we didn't know that. Burrying her with my husband's father felt like the right thing to do.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Before my son passed I knew I would cremate. I couldn't stand to have him buried and know that one day I could move and he would be alone. I also had a necklace with his ashes and teddy bear for me and his brother to always hold him close. He sits in his urn on our dresser surrounded by his favorite stuffed animals... I sleep with my bear and his brother sleeps with his bear.
  • When we recently lost our son Griffin, we chose cremation because we knew we were going to move and I didn't want to bury him and leave. Knowing we wouldn't be back to visit him, now he is always with us and I can take him with me into my grave when I go.
  • We lost our son at 18w but didn't find out until 20. We opted to cremate. I didn't know WHAT to do, but didn't want to bury him because we weren't going to stay anywhere near the town we were in. Nor did we like the town. My husband didn't want to bury him because he just couldn't stand it.

However, signing the paper to have him cremated was one of the hardest things I've ever done. But I'm glad we did it. 

Xoxo
    BabyFetus Ticker