September 2015 Moms
Options

MIL destroyed my daughters bangs!

My MIL thinks she's a hairdresser, granted she does have her license, that she got in the 70's and hasn't bothered to update since. Anyway, my daughter gave herself a haircut over a year ago and we just finally got everything grown out and back to normal. Her bangs needed a trim and my husband brought her over it his moms for a visit and she decided to cut them and basically undid everything we've grown out in the last year. She made them so thick, they aren't straight and are ridiculously lopsided! I'm so upset and my husband thinks I'm being totally ridiculous and should just be thankful that she cut them! I just needed to rant because it's driving me crazy!

Re: MIL destroyed my daughters bangs!

• Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    Oh that's frustrating! I would be upset. I cut my kids' hair, and my own, but would be livid if someone else did it without even talking to me, good job or not.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is why I'm thankful that I'm a cosmetologist! If I screw up my kids hair I know I can't blame anyone but myself lol that's so frustrating though, are they long enough that you could take her to a salon to be fixed? If not...I recommend lots of headbands and hair clips
  • Options
    EarcarEarcar member
    No, they aren't fixable. Any more will just make it that much worse! It's just so aggravating. It's been a long standing issue with her because I won't allow her to do my hair. I did once and it was not a wise choice...
  • Options
    I'd be livid too. Nobody touches my kids hair without my permission. Hairclips, headbands and time will help.
  • Options
    I would be so angry, good or bad results. My baby = my say in hair. My SIL went through this with her mom (my MIL) because she cut her sons hair without asking/telling. It was a huge knockdown drag out fight with threats to not let her watch him. Which sounds funny now but it wasn't then. Thankfully, MIL learned her lesson and will not be cutting DD's or LO's hair. I can guarantee I would throw a bigger fit lol this is along the same lines of ear piercing
  • Options
    It's hair...it will grow! Although very frustrating I would just tell her you don't want her cutting bangs on your DD and you were trying to grow them out.
  • Options
    MufflerloveMufflerlove member
    edited August 2015
    My MIL is also a hairdresser from the 80s. She doesn't touch us but on Wednesday a hairdresser at the salon we always use destroyed my two year old daughters :( they are crooked and half way up her forehead. I couldn't stop crying lol. Our maternity pics are tomorrow.

I feel for you :(

On the bright side my husband saw how upset and furious I was and was glad I don't let his mom cut them because he wouldn't want me to react like that if she messed them up.
  • Options
    My daughter has very curly hair so we decided against bangs, but I would be furious also. My DD is 4 and had yet to have even a trim. She was nearly bald until 18 months though. Sorry you have to deal with this.
  • Options
    Yeah, my MIL isn't someone you could just have a rational conversation with. It would turn into one of those situation like a previous poster mentioned, which is truly unfortunate. Thankfully hair does grow and I know there are people with much worse problems on here. But, it's just one of those things and it still bothers me because cutting bangs is a pretty basic thing!
  • Options
    This past Christmas my daughter went to visit her father's family. His stel mom trimmed aka cut my daughter hair. She told me after the fact then she got her hair braided so once I took the braids out I was able to see the botched job it
  • Options
    My grandmother did this to my sister and me back in the 1980s. At least it came out looking good. Mom was less than pleased, however.

I would be absolutely livid. While it is hair that will grow back, that's not the point. For me, the point would be lack of respect for your decision from your MIL. I would also be pretty mad with my husband if he were there and let it happen knowing how I felt about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker