Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Ovulation predictor kits?

So I just started my period early this month, which means I may not have tracked my ovulation right this last time since I didn't know my period would come early. And since I've only been trying a couple months, I'm assuming this could happen often. What are everyone's thoughts on ovulation predictor kits?

Re: Ovulation predictor kits?

• Options
    Temping is usually the preferred method, this is the only way you can know if you actually ovulated (after it has happened). OPK's are used as secondary testing, to aid in determining when ovulation occurs. If you haven't already, purchase Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I would also recommend purchasing a basal body thermometer and temping daily, checking CM and using OPK's, this way you will know more about when you ovulate.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I second @mrstmoose. OPKs are a great wait to help you determine when you might ovulate, but temps are the way to confirm that you actually did. Honestly, I've learned so much about my body in two months of temping, it's pretty awesome!

That said, I used store brand OPKs the first cycle, and this one used wondfos. I never got a true positive on a wondfo but did on the store brand. But, if you're a POAS addict like me, Wondfos are definitely the cheaper option. Also, OPKs detect a LH surge, which you can have multiple of in one cycle, so I wouldn't recommend using just that method. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used OPKs the past two months. I also used them when TTC my son. I have never had a true positive test... but if you use the cheap ones with two lines, you can sort of tell when it looks like it might be getting close. It's very scientific, haha. This past month I had darkish lines a couple of times so I really am unsure of when i ovulated. I'm not sure if we timed sex right or not, and we sort of got worn out on too much sex early on and I'm worried I might have missed my fertile window. So I am going to keep up with OPKs but also just started temping/checking CM and will do that in the coming month. Hopefully all of this together will give me a much better idea of what's going on as my cycles can be kind of weird.

@mrstmoose just asking you since you mentioned it... what's the difference between a BBT and a regular thermometer? I just started this morning but am currently using a regular one. Just wondering I need to go out and get another or what. thanks :-)
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    @pinottoparenthood-  don't quote me on this but the BBT gets a more accurate temp than a regular thermometer, for the purposes we are taking our temperatures for anyways. I got my BBT @ Target for $8 but have just learned as of this morning the Target generic can give false readings.  I'm going to stick with it for this month and see what happens compared to last month.  I feel like I had enough variation that I don't need to purchase a Mabis @ this point, but it will be interesting to see what happens this next month.  Which brand of OPK's are you using out of curiosity? I've been heavily debating getting the Wondfo's but I've seen 3 different things today on them that are making me second guess that as well.  I may stick with my $1 store tests again this month and see how that works out.
  • Options
    @mnturnsVA I used Easy@Home from Amazon last two months... heard they were actually the same as Wondfos in different packaging. I liked that they were cheap because sometimes I take up to 3 a day... Like I said, I never got a positive but there were times that the test line got dark (just not as dark as the control line). This monthI bought the up&up ones from Target just bc I don't have prime and didn't want to do an Amazon order. Not using yet, in the 2WW right now.

Last time with my son I used digitals and it was worthless because I never got the smiley face and had NO clue if I was getting closer, further, etc. So I like the two lines better.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    @pinottoparenthood- Yea, i'm so not in the POAS 3 times a day boat, for many reasons.  This past month I had pretty solid lines on the $1 store tests 3 days in a row, AM only testing.  Also, i've gotten mixed input on the needing to refrain from drinking anything for 2 hours before testing.  Some people say they don't heed that info and drink all they want and still turn the OPKS.  I drink a lot of water through out the day and usually work out @ night, so not drinking any water in the afternoon pre- workout is a problem for me.  but I've had people say they drink whatever through out the afternoon and not had any issues.

Were you using the digitals correctly? Just wondering because I was super anxious the 1st month we were TTC and had purchased the digitals and wanted to see what all the fuss was about so I randomly used one and it was blank.  A few days later I did it again, blank.

This past cycle when my $1 store ones turned positive, I used the same urine and tested with a digitial one and it was still blank.  So you have to use them (some of them anyways) for a few days so it can get your "baseline" I guess.
  • Options
    It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure I used them correctly? Only tested once a day. But I never got that + and I obviously ovulated... no clue! Glad I'm going to start temping, etc. so I can get more info.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    I used OPKs last time with DS so I'm using them again this time around. I got an obvious positive yesterday from a pack that I bought from Target (ran out of cheapies that I buy on ebay). This is my second cycle, so if it doesn't happen for us this time, I'll be temping.
  • Options
    @MNturnsVA I always hold my pee before I use an OPK. The dilution really does effect the hormone levels. I came home from an evening of drinking, tried one, and barely got a line. 
  • Options
    mrstmoosemrstmoose member
    edited July 2015
    @pinottoparenthood: a BBT goes to the one hundredth degree so it is more accurate. Most people here recommend purchasing a Mabis BBT, which you can find on Amazon for under $8 (I think I bought mine for like $7.50). 

ETA: I only use OPK once in the morning. I know I may miss the LH surge but I use the Clearblue and they are expensive. I don't have a POAS fetish (yet) and don't want to use them all up. Once you start temping and checking CM and CP, you become a little more confident. I literally started temping last week and already feel like using the OPK is really a secondary sign. I enjoy seeing the temps and reading what FF tells me. 

Good luck! 
  • Options
    I thought I liked them until this month when my cycle was all screwy.  I got pregnant with DD the first time using an OPK.  This time around, I got positives forever, and then had what appeared to be a 21 day luteal phase.  I am not sure I had an anovulatory cycle this month, or perhaps the OPK was wrong and I ovulated much later....but I am definitely temping this month to be certain.

Mom to one beautiful July '14 little girl

• Options
    When we were previously TTC I always had good luck with Wondfo OPKs but I also tested 3 times a day because I have a short surge (like hours long). Also, I don't know if this is still correct information but we always recommended that you don't use FMU with OPKs because LH doesn't metabolize in the body until later in the day. (I wouldn't start testing until 10am)

TTC #2
    BFP #1: DS born November 2008 
    BFP #2: January 2012 - M/C @ 8 weeks 
    BFP #3: August 2012 - M/C @ 11 weeks (D&C)
    Dx: Stage 1 Endometriosis May 2014

• Options
    @CrimsonCurse - I think the most given advice is to follow the instructions on the box. Which may differ from different types.

Since I use Clearblue, it instructs you to use FMU. Since I don't use Wondfos, I don't know what the directions are. When I am in doubt, I just follow the directions!
  • Options
    mrstmoose said:

@CrimsonCurse - I think the most given advice is to follow the instructions on the box. Which may differ from different types.

Since I use Clearblue, it instructs you to use FMU. Since I don't use Wondfos, I don't know what the directions are. When I am in doubt, I just follow the directions!

Of course, if the instructions specify you should follow them!
    TTC #2
    BFP #1: DS born November 2008 
    BFP #2: January 2012 - M/C @ 8 weeks 
    BFP #3: August 2012 - M/C @ 11 weeks (D&C)
    Dx: Stage 1 Endometriosis May 2014