March 2016 Moms
Options

So worried -- has this happened to anyone else?

katemparkatempar member
edited July 2015 in March 2016 Moms
I had my first prenatal appointment today. My LMP was 6/3, so I was supposed to be about 8 weeks along. I'm not sure what a regular cycle for me is because I went off birth control in April. I got my first period since going off BC in the beginning of the May, and it was a 30+ day cycle before getting my period in June. I took a positive pregnancy test on 7/6.

I did a transvaginal ultrasound today, and the gestational sac was only measuring 4.5 - 5.5 weeks. No yolk sac or fetal pole was visible. Since I got my BFP on 7/6, is this even possible? I got blood drawn to measure hcg levels and will go back on Saturday for another draw, then my doctor will evaluate from there. She said not to worry at this point -- my dates are probably just wrong -- but she never asked when I took the positive test. If I conceived 6 days before taking the early pregnancy test, I'd be 4.5 weeks from conception, but wouldn't I be measuring larger than that??

I know there's nothing I can do at this point, and things are out of my control, but just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation. I'm so worried/upset/scared... thanks, all.

Re: So worried -- has this happened to anyone else?

• Options
    This has been asked multiple times (sorry for being snarky). If you were 4.5-5.5 weeks along and possibly tested 6 DPO (hard to know if you weren't temping) yes it is possible. (Not 6 DPO but you gave a range of a week). I've heard of people testing positive 9 DPO and I myself tested positive at 10 DPO (I was temping so I know exactly when I ovulated). Long story short, you most likely ovulated later than you thought so your not as far along as you LMP suggests.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Honestly, 3 weeks is a far off gap. if you tested positived 3+ weeks ago i suppose it could put you at minimum 5-6 weeks. Def wait on your next blood tests! GL!
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you got your bloods done your range at 5 weeks should be over 9000 & if your between 7 - 8 weeks it should be over 30,000 that's what mine were at those times I'm now 9 weeks , don't panic too much yet good luck >:D<
  • Options
    HCG levels vary alot! My levels went from 15,000 to 28,820 in 48 hours and on the day of the larger result i had a scan that only showed 5w4d
  • Options
    kingsmama23kingsmama23 member
    edited July 2015
    I'm in limbo waiting on these same type of answers. My next ultrasound is 8/4 and pretty much have no idea how far along at all bc nothing is making any sense. Praying for you and me! Hope it's all just strange/late ovulation but healthy babies. I also got hcg testing and the results were in the 40 thousands and went up but they still said it didn't answer anything bc they do vary person to person. So / a mission positive tests - a gest sac further along than what's inside and no answers yet. I'll be sure to follow up and share my outcome after the next ultrasound and hopefully we can all learn a little from these mysterious beginnings by sharing and being open. Thanks for posting your story! You're not alone ...
  • Options
    I got a call from the doctor this morning. My hcg level is 31,000. She basically said there's a one-third chance it's an anembryonic pregnancy, a one-third chance of an ectopic pregnancy and a one-third chance it is viable. My hcg levels could be high because it began as a twin pregnancy and then one embryo never made it. I don't know my family history because I'm adopted so I have no idea how likely the twins situation would be, but I'm not feeling great about everything overall. I'm getting blood drawn again tomorrow morning and will know the results on Sunday. If my levels have doubled in 48 hours, my doctor says there's a lot of hope for a viable/normal pregnancy, but if they drop or stay the same I'm most likely miscarrying. :(
  • Options
    @kingsmama23 you are in my prayers, as well! Keep us updated.
  • Options
    No advice but I am so sorry. I hope everything works out. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thoughts and Prayers for you.  I just had a blood draw done and all turned out well I hope for the same for you.  Keep us updated.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
    Hoping everything turns out ok for you.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I hope you end up in the good third
  • Options
    Don't worry it will be normal the yolk will show itself one week later then you guessed that's all everything is gonna be alright, hugs and fingers crossed! Try to stay calm and don't calculate no more things.
  • Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I was pretty positive that I ovulated on 6/22 (opk) and had a very faint positive on 7/3. I went to the dr last week when I thought I was 6w2d and was only able to see an empty sac measuring 5w4d. I went back this week and we thankfully saw a tiny baby with a tiny heartbeat = ). I was measuring 5w6d based on the baby. The doctor doesn't seem concerned at all and I go back in 2 weeks just to check once more. My dates do not add up at all since I'm 10 days earlier than I expected!!! And I'm trying to just not even think about it. As long as the baby is safe and healthy I don't care!! Lol. I haven't had my levels checked though. Prayers for you and baby!
  • Options
    I just wanted to give everyone an update. On Thursday, my hcg level was around 31,900. On Saturday, it had only gone up by a few hundred. The on-call doctor called me yesterday to tell me this isn't what a normal pregnancy looks like and that it's most likely an anembryonic pregnancy (i.e., blighted ovum). She is recommending I get a d&c just in case it turns out to be ectopic (not likely since they saw a gestational sac on the ultrasound, but I guess there's still a chance). I'm seeing the doctor later this morning to confirm the miscarriage in person and then will schedule my surgery for as soon as possible. Obviously this is not the news my husband and I wanted to hear. We are so heartbroken, but I know God has a plan for us, and I'm optimistic about getting pregnant. Thank you for your thoughts & prayers -- I'll be praying that you all have healthy, stress-free pregnancies.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.  I had a loss myself in April followed by a D&C.  I wish you the best of luck in your journey, the Miscarriage and TTCAL Boards are great.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    Sending prayers your way. We went through a similar situation back in November. I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry I had a blighted ovum last year and understand how hard this is. Lots of T&Ps to you and your family.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Praying for you!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry it turned out this way.  I also had a blighted ovum and D&C a few years ago.  I went on to have a healthy baby afterwards.  I hope you end up with the same outcome.   Take care of yourself. 
  • Options
    super sorry:-(  I had a blighted ovum last July with a D&C.  Take care of you and grieve however you need to in order to get through this.

TTC #2
    BFP 6/1/14  --  Blighted Ovum: 7/9/14  --  D&C: 7/10/14
    BFP 3/26/15 -- Chemical Pregnancy: 3/30/15

• Options
    How can they confirm that without doing a final ultrasound later? Did they find a fetus : no heartbeat? I wouldn't get a d@c off a blood test. Hope you have a follow up - I've heard lots of people who see a heartbeat later on
  • Options
    I'm sorry.  I would demand an ultrasound if I were you.  It would scare me too much to go off of numbers alone.  I had a MMC but demanded an ultrasound a week after to see for sure that there wasn't a heartbeat and hadn't grown.  I wouldn't be able to live with myself had I not had that verification.  Yes, I had to do the D&C but that ultrasound gave me peace of mind (as much as possible with a miscarriage).  I'm so sorry you have to go through this.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    I did have a final ultrasound this morning before I saw the doctor. Still just an empty gestational sac.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry :(
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking about you and your family. 
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
    So sorry it turned out this way. I'm glad you can find comfort in your faith.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    So sorry

DD born 2/22/12

TTC # 2 since 7/12

DX- PCOS. Currently upping Metformin dosage and preparing to meet with RE 9/5/13.

Ist medicated cycle September 2013-BFN

1st IUI November 2013-BFP Chemical Pregnancy

2nd IUI December 2013-BFN

3rd IUI January 2014-BFP! Due 10/31/2014