Normal behavior for my almost 5 year old? — The Bump
School-Aged Children

Normal behavior for my almost 5 year old?

Hi everyone. My oldest will turn 5 in Sept. She's starting Transitional Kindergarten in less than 2 weeks!!! But lately she has been acting strange. Like, really strange. Saying weird things, her and her little sis seem to have their own language. She will make weird noises for hours with no end. She seems very hyper. Granted, we haven't been outside much lately, since I am pregnant and it's 107 degrees out. But is this just a sign of needing to spend energy, or a hyper active thing, that I need to talk to the doctor about? She wakes up totally normal, sweet, soft spoken. But by the end of the day, she's bouncing off the walls and just being loud and weird. Help! I don't want her to act like this in school and get in trouble. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Normal behavior for my almost 5 year old?

• First of all, your siggy pic is hilarious.  I've seen it before on an "awkward family photos" site, but it cracks me up every time.

I think what you're seeing is probably the result of being cooped up in the house a lot.  Before you call the pediatrician, I'd see if you can find some activities to break up your day.  When my kids were small, we would go to the mall play area, to the pet store, to Michael's or JoAnne's Fabrics, or just to the play area at Chic-fil-a.  I tried to get out of the house at least once every day.  My favorite place to take my kids was PetSmart.  It's seriously better than the zoo, it's free, and it's close. I would even turn mundane places like the post office into "fun outings" just by allowing my kids to look at stuff and ask questions.

I'd treat 107 heat the same as below freezing temps and look for an indoor activity.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Is she eating a lot of sugar? I know when we had 3 snow days in a row, my kids had cabin fever. They acted a little hyper. Could be a combo of cabin fever and diet?

It's 102 here and we go to splash parks in the morning before it gets too sunny, chicfila playground, library story time, indoor trampoline parks, aquariums, science museums and indoor bounce house places. My oldest takes karate classes every other day so he gets a lot of energy out then too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Did it calm down? Any answers? My son is like this and I'm trying to figure out what is going on for him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have they been exposed to the Minions? Kids love mocking characters and the minions from dispicable me have taken gibberish to a whole new level. See if weaning them from it for a while helps.