February 2016 Moms

PERISAC BLEED?

amvega87amvega87 member
edited July 2015 in February 2016 Moms
Yesterday morning I was rushed to the hospital after waking up to find I was bleeding. After much testing including an ultrasound, it was determined I have a "small perisac bleed". They wouldn't tell me much besides to take it easy and report to my midwife, who I am seeing this afternoon, but I am absolutely terrified. I looked it up online and there's not a great deal of information on perisac bleeds... The few I did stumble across all mentioned bed rest but the ER doctor didn't specify bed rest...
I'm just scared and I don't want to do the wrong thing. If anyone has any experience with this please advise?

Just to be clear they told me baby is okay, strong heart beat (167), and everything else seems fine (hcg level is high, baby is measuring well for gestational age, etc) just the perisac bleed

Re: PERISAC BLEED?

• I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I don't have any advice, but my thoughts and prayers are with you.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Is this completely different from a subchorionic (SCH) hematoma bleed? It sounds similar to me, but I really don't know.
    If it's a SCH you will get varied advice as to whether resting is necessary, because there's just not enough evidence to prove if it helps or not.
    I've bled twice with SCH and it's really scary, but my babies are still fine. Best wishes for you too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You can never go wrong with resting. I have not heard of it, but please keep us informed with the update from your midwife. Take care and I wish you and baby the best! Remember, stress doesn't help!
  • Ladies thank you so much for your words of advice and comfort. I saw my midwife Thursday afternoon (I had still been spotting ever since the initial bleed) she did a pelvic exam and read the ultrasound report from the hospital, and she agreed that I have a perisac hematoma, it's small, and it isn't harming my baby. It's not the same as SCH. She said it's essentially a bruise on the back of my placenta, the cause is unknown, but it's causing bleeding. She said it is relatively common and should sort itself out in a matter of weeks. She also said I was fine to continue working, to exercise, and to have sex. I went home and just took it easy, made dinner, and then around 10 pm I felt an odd sensation in my vagina, ran to the bathroom and I had completely soaked my panty liner in thick, dark brown goopy blood, to the point that it had leaked down and ruined my underwear and pants. It was terrifying. I called my midwives via their emergency line (I use a birthing center, there are 4 midwives and they share patients) and spoke to the on call midwife, NOT the same one who did my exam, and she said the sudden gush was probably a reaction to the pelvic exam. She went on to say I should not have sex, wear a tampon, or insert anything into my vagina (as it could cause the same thing to happen) until I have stopped bleeding and spotting and they perform a follow up ultrasound to confirm the hematoma has healed. She did not mention rest. I am just very lost right now. I realize this isn't directly harming my baby but it's unsettling to have this bleeding. She explained what I should be watching out for in terms of a hemorrhage or God forbid worse. I don't know, like I said I really just don't like this one bit. Very scary. All the information doesn't mesh.
  • Oh no! That sounds really scary.

Have you thought about calling a physician? In my area, doctors offices tend to have an RN on staff who you can usually get to if the doctor's are in back to back appts.

Or even maybe your closest emergency room if that hospital has a L&D dept?

Again so sorry that this happened. Fingers crossed that it goes away fast.
  • I'm sure you are very stressed. I hope the bleeding has stopped. Otherwise I hope you get medical attention soon
  • I completely understand being scared of the bleeding, even if it isn't hurting baby. I agree that resting probably won't hurt! Good luck, praying for you.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Praying for you. Put your feet up and rest. I've had bleeding after a pelvic exam as well. It subsided after a day or two. Take care and be careful not to strain. My RE said not to lift anything too heavy.
  • Try to take it easy. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Hang in there lady, I understand how scary this must be for you. Take care of yourself and rest whenever you can.
  • My T&Ps are with you during this scary time. Take care of yourself and hopefully this will pass quickly.

• Oh no! That sounds really scary.

Have you thought about calling a physician? In my area, doctors offices tend to have an RN on staff who you can usually get to if the doctor's are in back to back appts.

Or even maybe your closest emergency room if that hospital has a L&D dept?

Again so sorry that this happened. Fingers crossed that it goes away fast.

I'm so so sorry you're going through this. I agree with the above that if you still feel lost and worried, you should consider going for a 2nd opinion with an OB at this point.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • That sounds so scary. Especially when you feel that you're getting conflicting information. I would think that some rest couldn't hurt until you can get some clarification on what's going on. Thinking of you.
  • That's a lot of information to absorb from your midwives, I'll be praying for you & baby & praying for a little peace of mind! Get some rest!!
    Happily Married to Tim {10-11-2003}
    Isabella {09-02-05} & Savannah {03-02-07} & Bradley {02-06-10}

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I'm glad to hear it has slowed. Do they have a time frame for when they're planning a f/u u/s to see how things are going? I'd be a mess waiting. Hugs!

• I hope everything settles down and you get some more information soon, this must be a really difficult time but that's great you have family support. You will get through this. All the best and look after yourself.