December 2015 Moms
Options

Placenta previa

ob just told me I have partial placenta previa. Kind of bummed about it. Does anyone else have this or had it with a past pregnancy? Just curious, don't know what to expect and don't like the waiting game either

Re: Placenta previa

• Options
    taysuntaysun member
    If you search, you'll find a few posts about this with lots of personal experience. Many people seem to say it can fix itself this early on. Worst case scenario seems to be a cesarean.
    My mother had placenta previa when she was pregnant with me. She spent her third trimester on bed rest, but was able to have a vaginal birth assisted with suction after being induced.
  • Options
    A friend of mine had partial previa. The placenta moved up and out of the way on its own. She was able to continue working like normal and had the baby vaginally with no issues. Worst case you will probably have to put up with bedrest or light duty and possibly a cesarean. Whatever it takes to get baby here fully cooked and healthy :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    asc88asc88 member
    I was told I have this at my anatomy scan. They acted like it was no big deal and just said they need to do another ultrasound between 26-28 weeks to make sure it has corrected itself. They also said the worst case scenario is that it doesn't move and I have a scheduled c-section.  From what I understand it doesn't affect the baby at all.
  • Options
    I also was told my placenta was low lying, but my doc did not seem to concerned. Many times the problem corrects itself as the uterus grows but i will be having an another ultrasound around 28 weeks to confirm its placement. Like the PP, if it doesn't it will be a scheduled c/s.
  • Options
    Thanks! My ob mentioned same thing that worst case it won't move and I'll have to have a c-section. I'm trying to stay positive that it will move in the next 4 weeks... But no sex is going to be hard to do!
  • Options
    Whatever it takes to have a healthy baby!!
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. I went for my anatomy scan today and the dr said 'partial'. It usually resolves itself on its own but if not, I'll need a c section. I'm already having one so no biggie. She said the biggest concern is bleeding. No lifting, intercourse, or strenuous activity until we recheck next month. She was also very nonchalant about it. So I'm trying to be that way too, so as not to worry myself to death.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Both my close friend and sister-in-law had placenta previa.  One cleared up on its own and she had a normal birth/delivery.  The other was hospitalized numerous times for severe bleeding, was placed on bed rest and had to have an emergency c-section 6 weeks early because she was losing so much blood.  So it really depends what your experience will be like.  My friend that had all the issues didn't start having them until she got further along in her pregnancy, so I think you should know more once you get into the third trimester.  Good luck!!

Married - 10/10/2009

DS - Due 11/3/2012 born 9/28/2012 due to Severe Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome

DD - EDD 12/30/15

"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url|| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</

• Options
    I was told this as well. The baby can't come out because the placenta is in the way and could cause you to lose way too much blood. It is very common and only a small percentage of people have it by the end. I'm not on pelvic rest but my doctor is checking again if I still have it then, I will be on pelvic rest (no swimming, minimal walking, and no sex- my three forms of exercise lol). Bleeding is the biggest concern. The only real issue is that they will want to schedule your c section around 37/38 weeks to avoid you going into labor naturally.

I'm glad someone else has this issue too!
  • Options
    I had it 2 weeks ago... It cleared up for me, so I am not on pelvic rest anymore... Yay.
  • Options
    MargaretL4909MargaretL4909 member
    edited July 2015
    How far along are you cedixon2?
  • Options
    srusk1srusk1 member
    I was diagnosed with this at my 19 week scan. Dr. basically told me light duty (no pushing, lifting, jumping, pulling) and pelvic rest. I will have ultrasounds with each appointment to see if it moves, if not I'll be scheduled for a section at 37 weeks. At first I was very upset, but as time goes on I have accepted it. If it moves, great. If not, is it what is is and I can't really change it :) I have 2 weeks left until my next appointment. I'm crossing my fingers. 
  • Options
    18 weeks