Breastfeeding
Options

How to increase milk supply while pumping

I recently just went back to work and I'm pumping at work twice a day around 9:30 and 2:00. Is this efficient? I'm not pumping much at each sessions, roughly  around 4 1/2 oz total for both sessions. My baby is eating between 4-5 oz per bottle and I would like to get a least 3 bottles a day.....Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: How to increase milk supply while pumping

• Options
    that definitely does not seem like it's enough. You should try to pump as often as your baby would eat in that span of time. Try not to go more than 3hrs between pumping sessions. Honestly you can take all the supplements in the world but the best way to get more milk is to remove more from the boob. That's the best way to tell your body to make more.
  • Options
    ok, so every three hours?!?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd pump 3 times of you can. I pump at 9, 12:30 and 3. Stay hydrated! I will watch a video of my baby after about 3 minutes of pumping. I find that can help with let down. I also read on my kindle. Sometimes not thinking about it is the best thing.
  • Options
    I have almost the exact pumping schedule as PP.  I try to stick to 9, 12 and 3.  Sometimes they vary by 30 min or so, but not much more than that. Hydration is key though.  I probably drink 3 one liter bottles of water a day while at work, then one more while at home & over night.  I find that if I have a soda or something other than the water I don't drink the water & my supply suffers for it the next day.  I will also drink some Mother's Milk tea or take some fenugreek when I feel like I need a boost, but pumping & feeding are best ways to increase supply.

• Options
    I agree with PP, you can take all the supplements in the world but it's all about supply and demand.  

Full boobs = less supply
    Empty boobs = more supply

My pumping schedule is 930, 1230, and 330.  I always pump at night before bed and have started pumping in the car on the way to work.  The more often you empty your breasts, the more your body will think it needs to make more milk.