April 2015 Moms
Options

BFing teachers going back to work soon?

Any other breast feeding teachers headed back soon? Wondering what you are planning on for a school day pumping schedule and if you are practicing the schedule early. I'm not sure how many sessions I will need during a school day vs nursing at home. I'm wondering if I can cut one out. Not looking forward to bringing it up with my male admin for covering my class, but it's a fact of life!

Re: BFing teachers going back to work soon?

• Options
    I'm going back to school, too! Our spot came up for daycare and you either pay or lose it (it's great and in high demand, that's why). I've been practice pumping and sending my little guy for half days while I plan my curriculums.

What I have learned so far:

Drink a ton of water. It really makes a difference.

Some days you'll get more, some less. On my first pump yesterday, I got 10 ounces. Today...only 5 and a half on the first pump of the day. A friend who has pumped successfully for her now 8 month old said that if she doesn't make enough in a day for the next day, she pumps after baby goes to bed (almost like simulating a growth spurt).

I think that you can do the lactation cookies and fenugreek and all that, but consistently and frequency are really key to keeping your supply up. It's ok if you don't pump a huge amount every time...just keep pumping.
  • Options
    I went back to school after having my LO with about 3 weeks left in the year. I pumped 3x during the school day at 9am, 12pm, and 3pm.

I attended a week long workshop last week and started my pumping schedule like I did once I went back to work but found out I wasn't really making much at my 12pm session. Now I only pump at around 9:30 and 2:30.

It's hard to pump and feed your LO while at home. To build up my supply and help save some for when I first return to work I pump one side while my LO eats on the other and then switch. I freeze what I pump.

Hope this helps! Don't stress!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jlkapp85jlkapp85 member
    edited July 2015
    Ok thanks! I think I might end up being on a 9, 12 and 3:00 Schedule too. I'll try it in a couple weeks when we have workdays. Hoping that ill only need someone to cover my class twice a day. Plus maybe with the 3:00 pump I can miss carpool duty :)
  • Options
    Good luck on your return to the classroom ladies. My coworkers are all starting to get ready too as our school goes back a month from today. I'm still off for a while yet but I think of my fellow teacher friends often.
  • Options
    I teach high school and we are on a block schedule (90 min classes) so I'm really stressing about pumping. I wont have a planning period till 10:30 which doesn't sound bad but it is since school starts at 7:15. I've had mastitis 3 times so I have to make sure I pump regularly.

I'm also really concerned about where I'll pump. Where do you ladies plan on doing it? They've already sent an email out letting us know that we have no available rooms this year because of how overcrowded we are. I don't want to walk all the way to my car every day to pump.
  • Options
    If they don't provide a safe, clean place for you to pump that isn't a bathroom, they are breaking the law.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/nursingmothers/

I plan to just pump in my room with the door door locked, window covered, and a clear sign on the door, but my schedule also works out for it this year.
  • Options
    I will be going back in the fall but I also went back for the last 9 days at the end of last year, which was almost like a little practice run. I got away with pumping once during the day around my late lunch (1-2ish) or just running home to feed her. I did this by feeding or pumping before leaving in the morning and then going home right at 3:30 and feeding. However, I am a music teacher with lots of after school and evening commitments so we will have to just adjust as necessary. I am lucky to be at a school where the administrators are all parents or grandparents and supportive of breastfeeding mothers, so I am able to use a guidance office conference room, but I do worry about when I will pump because my end of year schedule was much more relaxed than my normal schedule is. If you are worried, talk to local nursing support such as a lactation consultant- in my community the WIC people hold a monthly breastfeeding support group open to any nursing mothers, and they offered to contact employers regarding availability of time and space.
  • Options
    I'm starting back to work tomorrow. I've been pumping a bit all summer and have sent baby to the sitter a few times over the summer to get my classroom ready. She's not nursing as long now as she used to. She's 3 months 2 weeks and will nurse about 10-15 minutes every 2.5-3 hours. She used to nurse for 45-50 minutes. Is she just getting more effective? She seems sastified. I'm also worried about pumping during the school day and producing enough. I used to pump 5-7 ounces a time now I'm down to 2-3. Any tips? I'm starting fenugreek this week.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I teach at a high school that follows a block schedule. I, too, am anxious about breastfeeding & dealing with a male administrator. I originally was going to pump at home and then at 10:30, during my prep period and then during lunch at 1pm. However, my schedule changed and now my prep period is the last block of the day, at 1:40. This means I can't pump til lunch time!?! Has anyone ever had someone cover part of class for 15 minutes while they pumped?? I'm thinking about asking my administrator about this because I can't imagine pumping from 7am to 1pm... My boobs will dry up!?!
  • Options
    I am also going back to school in a couple of weeks. My male admin was great about working out a schedule. I'm also taking a .8 schedule to avoid pumping so much! It is law, so you can really request what you need break-wise. Good luck!!
  • Options
    I'm in AZ and we start super early, so we've already had two and a half weeks with kids. I'm a music teacher so I have a different schedule everyday which is a little tricky, but mostly I do an 8:30, 11:30, and 2:30 schedule. It's been working out pretty well. I usually have to do one more pump after she goes to bed to get enough, but basically it's working out fine.