Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Flat head

hello fellow mommys! My little girl just turned two months last week and since birth she has mainly had her head turned to her left. Tonight I noticed just how flat that side of her head has become. Naturally now since I'm fully aware of how flat her head is, I'm anxious that it'll get worse if I don't address it ASAP. Im going to call the pediatrician tomorrow to see what they suggest but in the meantime was curious if anyone else has dealt with this issue and how to tackle it before it gets worse!

Answers

• Options

I have. My daughter had torticollis so her head was turned to the right side and she developed a flat spot too. She was in physical therapy from 4 weeks - 4 months old and it made a world of difference. The PT helped her neck but she still needed some work done on her head so she has a helmet now. She only needs to wear it for 6-8 weeks and it was our decision because the flatness was so mild but I'd rather not take the chance.

This is not a biggie and something that can be fixed but the sooner you do it the better. Make the call to the Pedi. I'm here if you have any questions.  

• Options
    We had the same problem. To fix it, we rolled up a swaddle blanket or a towel and propped up her left shoulder and that caused her to move her head to the right and sleep that way. Her PT showed us how to do it. And now her head is rounding out nicely and she naturally does it on her own now without the swaddle.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are also going through this. Very fixable.
  • Options
    Listen to @bigboobsmcgee She is the reason we got help for our kiddo. PT is helping a lot!
  • Options
    @bigboobsmcgee  Did your ins cover the helmet?
  • Options
    sclick81 said:
    We had the same problem. To fix it, we rolled up a swaddle blanket or a towel and propped up her left shoulder and that caused her to move her head to the right and sleep that way. Her PT showed us how to do it. And now her head is rounding out nicely and she naturally does it on her own now without the swaddle.

OP this is a great idea but call your Pedi or see a Physical Therapist first to see what they suggest!
  • Options
    @bigboobsmcgee  Did your ins cover the helmet?

Part of it. We still have to pay $800 out of pocket :(
  • Options
    Listen to @bigboobsmcgee She is the reason we got help for our kiddo. PT is helping a lot!

I'm SO glad :)
  • Options
    Gah.  We are about to get on DH's ins and will have to pay 127/week for PT as opposed to 22. Sigh.
  • Options
    Gah.  We are about to get on DH's ins and will have to pay 127/week for PT as opposed to 22. Sigh.

Oh man, that sucks! What are you gonna do though right?!