1st Trimester
Options

Synthroid

edited July 2015 in 1st Trimester
Hi Mommies! Recently preganant and mg RE wants me to take synthroid. Has anyone else had this situation. I don't want to harm my baby. Thank you

Re: Synthroid

• Options
    I had thyroid cancer five years ago. I taken synthyroid since. I'm 14 weeks and I'm on a very high dose of it cause my levels r very high. If it wasn't safe they wouldn't have u take it.
  • Options
    I've been hypothyroid for 14 years and have taken synthroid for 10 years. Not only is it safe to take it, it's extremely unsafe not to. Being hypothyroid while pregnant can cause mental problems in your LO and other long term issues. It's extremely important that you keep your thyroid in check
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree with @ashton2190
    If doc is recommending, def take it! Being too low on thyroid hormone can be harmful for the baby's development. I am hypothyroid and have been on synthyroid for over a year and now being pregnant, we will be monitoring my levels more closely as pregnancy requires more thyroid function than normal. HTH!

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Definitely take it.  Not only can  being hypothyroid cause damage to your baby it can also cause miscarriage.  TSH is a hormone and having unbalanced hormones in general, and especially during pregnancy, can lead to big time problems.  I have only been on it for a few months, but it has already made a huge difference.
  • Options

Hi Mommies! Recently preganant and mg RE wants me to take synthroid. Has anyone else had this situation. I don't want to harm my baby. Thank you

Your RE helped you get pg. He/she would not endanger your pregnancy.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I took it for my last pregnancy and will probably take it during this pregnancy (I need my blood rechecked and a new RX). It's better to take the recommended meds than leave a thyroid issue untreated.
  • Options
    I've been on Synthroid for about 8 months. It's definitely one of the only thyroid meds that are safe during pregnancy. It will be a balance to get everything stable so don't be surprised if they play around with your dosage throughout your pregnancy. Definitely take it. There are too many risks without it.
  • Options
    I am hypothyroid and have been on Synthroid for over 10 years. As one of the other posters has said, it is not only safe, but extremely UNsafe if you do not take it and it is needed. An untreated thyroid condition can lead to issues with baby's mental development as well as miscarriage. I would talk to your doctor further and ask for more information if you are uncomfortable. I'm definitely not one for blindly following doctor's orders without getting the full low down as to why I'm being asked to take anything - so I totally see where you're coming from.