April 2015 Moms
Options

Nursing & breastmilk help

mdaugherty8mdaugherty8 member
edited July 2015 in April 2015 Moms
My son is 3 months old. I've been exclusively pumping because we couldn't get a good latch. I've recently considered trying to start nursing again. Anyone have any tips on how to get a good latch? I have very flat nipples, which I believe has been the problem.

Also, anyone have tips to increase milk supply? I am just starting fenugreek today. Preferably no lactation cookies or teas. Before I have tried staying hydrated, pumping more frequently, looking at babies photos while pumping, and pumping right after a shower.

Re: Nursing & breastmilk help

• Options
    I have flat nipples as well and have been exclusively breastfeeding for 3 months. What helps me is I do a little tugging on the nipple to make it erect or using a nipple shield at first and when he's been on for a few minutes take off the nipple shield and relatch him. These also helped with milk production
  • Options
    kperrokperro member
    I use fenugreek for milk supply, quality matters, when I bought the cheaper ones nothing happened, I got the organic liquid caps and I only have to take one a day, you should be able to smell it on your skin (smells a bit like butterscotch). I have inverted nipples and it took some time to get my little guy latching well, I would start nursing with the nipple shield then sneak it out part way through the feed, use my thumb on top of my nipple and pointer finger below to push my beast into my chest a bit so the nipple was more pronounced and tickle his top lip, as soon as he would open wide I would aim the nipple to the roof of his mouth. If you just keep offering it they eventually figure it out . The key is to not get frustrated and trust that they will get there. I was doing this since he was a newborn and by the time he turned 2 months he didn't use the shield at all anymore and has since been latching beautifully ;) hopefully it goes quicker for you since yours is already a bit older!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You could use your pump for a minute before nursing to draw out the nipple.

As for increasing supply, eating oatmeal every day and power pumping worked really well for me with my first child. Do you like beer? A dark beer can help. I've never tried it because I don't like beer.
  • Options
    I agree with pumping for a minute before (I had to do the same thing for my flat nipples). You should definitely try nursing again though because my LO got sooo much better at latching as she got older! Also, my nipples eventually started coming out more easily after several months of nursing. Good luck! :)

Oh, and a lactation consultant told me More Milk Plus is one of the best products for boosting milk supply. I haven't tried it but a friend of mine swears by it.
  • Options
    For flat nipples have you tried medela nipple shields? That may help.

Also your supply should regulate about ever three weeks and defiantly every time you LO has a growth spurt. Try pumping on one side while your LO eats on the other and then switch sides. Also continue pumping even after you stop getting milk. This helps stimulate and more milk lets down.
  • Options
    I have relatively flat nipples as well. A comment that stuck with me is, 'they call it breast feeding, not nipple feeding'. With LO's mouth open wide, aim to put in as much of your breast as possible. I am still surprised at how big my nipple is when he pulls off. Nipple shields are great but come with their own issues. The breastfeeding board on TCF has a lot of traffic. Amyg is a wealth of information over there.
  • Options
    We used the Medela nipple shields for the first two months which really helped. Pretty sure my babe experienced nipple confusion b/c we had to supplement with formula from the very beginning, so the shields really helped us. Good luck!
  • Options
    I wanted to maximize my milk supply for when I go back to work, so I tried milkflow fenugreek packets from Upspring. I get it from Amazon. It's a powder and it tastes ok, not terrible. Guinness also works too. That and staying very hydrated, eating enough, and getting enough sleep all made a big difference for me. Good luck!