Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Reflux "support group"

I have been looking on a lot of boards for information on reflux and Alimentum and haven't seen much. Thought I would start a discussion in reflux as I think a lot of moms and their LO and suffering! My daughter will be 4 weeks on Monday and has been suffering symptoms since 2.5 weeks. Doc diagnosed with reflux about a week ago and we now are on Zantac and changed her formula to Alimentum. The change of formula started Friday and she has been on Zantac since Tuesday. I know things don't happen right away, but my confusion and frustration comes with things seemingly getting worse after a good day or 2. Anyone experience this? Kind of just want to hear what others have done and that it will eventually turn around! What have you and your LOs dealt with in terms of reflux- any tricks of the trade?

Re: Reflux "support group"

• We started off on the same combination of meds and formula. It helped a little but we ended up on Prilosec and elecare. It was determined that she had a milk protein intolerance as well. I was told that it does get worse before it gets better and that we wouldn't see a difference with the new formula for about 2 weeks. And they were right, about 2 weeks in and she's a new baby. We also had her sleep in her rock n play so she stayed elevated. Now that she's been on the new meds and formula for over a month we have her sleep no in her crib at night. But we did put a wedge under one side just in case. But she seems to be dome by well. Hang in there, it does get better!
  • Thanks @sclick81 !! So glad to hear that you all found the right combination! What a relief that must have been. I hope we find the same soon... Appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.
  • Loading the player...
  • marijaa333marijaa333 member
    edited July 2015
    My son was just put on Zantac at 10.5 weeks. He's EBF (so far).  I'd like to know how others have fared with Zantac too! OP, how is your baby doing now?
  • Our DD did a dose of Zantac and threw up/had diarrhea the next day.  Scared me so I took her off it, but her new drs office wants us to give it another day or two. :/  They also recommmended Gentlease. (She's always been on Enamel Newborn... not sure if she'll like the Gentlease-tried it once and she didn't seem to-but maybe?)
  • We have good days and not the best days. I had a fellow mom share with me what her doctor told her and it really rang true - babies digestive issues have many variables and when they all hit at the same time (gas, reflux and too much or too little poop) it is like an ocean with many waves and when they are all "in check" it's like a calm lake. So we just hope for lake days haha. DD is taking 1ml Zantac 3x a day and has definitely been better (but not 100%) she has had no adverse side effects but does hate the taste. If things get bad we also give mylanta before feeding. Lastly, we are weening her off similac advance and on to alimentum - again she is better on the alimentum but hates the taste so that is why we are introducing it very slowly!

Keep me posted on how you all do with the Zantac! And any tips on getting them to swallow it more easily!!
  • There are a few things that I have tried to get my LO to take her medicine. One thing is to keep it in the fridge. My nephew also has the same issue and my sister said that he takes it better cold. I had my pharmacist add flavor to her medicine. She loves the grape flavor! And I also put her medicine in the bottle nipple and let her suck on it like it was a pacifier. I never had any luck with putting the syringe in her cheek. She always spit most of it out when I did it that way. But she takes it all down when I put her medicine in the bottle nipple. Hope some of these ideas help!
  • @sclick81 these are all awesome suggestions, thank you so much! Hope everyone has a good night with their LOs
  • My LO was put on Zantac earlier this week and we were also told to put a tsp of oatmeal in his bottle per ounce of formula. Since we started we've had no more screaming/arching through bottles. We do still have problems with gas but he mostly just grunts a lot...no crying. He's struggling through BMs more now too. He's on Similac Sensitive.
    Mom to AJ: 2/16/2012

Elliott Woodson due 8/2/2015!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was told by the doctor that a baby might struggle with BM when they are first put on cereal. She told me that it will take a few days for their body and digestive track to get used to it. But once they do, they should return to regular BM. I have my LO on cereal every second or third bottle unless I notice she's spitting up a lot.
  • I've heard about the cereal! My doc has not suggested it yet... Going to a pediatric GI on Wednesday - hoping that sheds some light. @LSquared3960 let us know how the cereal works out!
  • The oatmeal has made a big difference with his reflux! I even tried a couple bottles without it and he went right back to crying through his bottle and spitting up. He still struggles a lot to pass gas and poop, but his stool is loose so I think its just him still learning what muscles to use. 
    Mom to AJ: 2/16/2012

Elliott Woodson due 8/2/2015!
    BabyFruit Ticker