Parenting after 35
Options

Crazy MIL (long)

NeonNoonNeonNoon member
edited July 2015 in Parenting after 35
This is mainly for my venting and, hopefully, your entertainment.

My MIL has decided to shift into high gear for whatever crazy reason. A few days ago she sent us an email demanding an update, claiming she hadn't heard from us in a while. (I had emailed her back and forth the previous week and included baby pics.) When we didn't respond by early evening of the same day, she called and left a message saying she was 'concerned' that she hadn't heard from us. (DH called back the same day.)

Today she sends DH a video of their friends' grandchild and chides him for not letting them stay with us for 3 months (!) like their friends did with their grandchild.

We asked them and my parents to stay at a hotel when DS was born because they are extremely helpless and we knew we couldn't cope with the additional burden.

When they're here, they bicker with each other like some sitcom in-laws. MIL whines about this or that almost constantly. Even when she reads she sighs and moans out loud.

FIL on the other hand, watches TV sports on really loudly or acts super helpless. When they visited while I was pregnant, he asked me what he should do with a teaspoon he had used to make tea with (for real). When I was 10 days pp, DH and MIL took DS out on the deck and I thought I'd seize the moment to get a load of laundry going. FIL thought it was a good time to ask me questions about using Excel with laundry in my arms. I wish I were making this up. He is constantly needy.

They can't afford to be away from home for more than about a week because they have a couple of horses and dogs that they look after (somehow). They only stayed in town for a few days because FIL couldn't get around his work schedule. But this is all somehow our fault. Did I mention that MIL was recovering from a broken arm so couldn't help at all?

I was going to tell you about my crazy SIL but I'll have to save that for another time.

Re: Crazy MIL (long)

• Options
    Oh wow. Yeah. Definitely sounds like a sitcom. Wish I had aome words.of wisdom for you. But all I have is...hang in there.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Options
    There's not a lot more we can do since we don't want to cut them off. DH does a good job maintaining boundaries in the face of the madness. And they live in FL, which works great!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yikes!  That's terrible that they aren't helping but rather adding to your burden.

The other day my MIL quizzed us on who has come to visit before her (only my parents) and who else was in the delivery room (no one except DH and a doula). She thinks we're hiding things from her... which we aren't but now I am considering it... 
  • Options
    Ugh. Sorry to hear about the MIL drama.  That can't be fun.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Geeps2Geeps2 member
    NeonNoon, we should talk!!!!  I feel your pain, literally, but unlike you, my inlaws live just a few towns over.  Just a short 10 min drive away :(  

I can't even begin to list all the things that drive me bat !@#$!# crazy about them.  I just have to remind myself that they love my kids and I have learned to let a lot go.  I have had 3 years of practice under my belt.  My MIL is retired and reads far too much and thinks she is an expert on everything.  Also, my two kids are her only grandchildren.  My DH has gotten better about sticking up for my/our way of doing things.  In the beginning when my 1st was born I thought I would throttle her.  

Good Luck!!!!  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers