November 2015 Moms
Options

Glucose test

I had my 1 hour test today and cut off was 139, my results were 137. They are making me do the 3 hour test. Has that happened to anyone and how was your 3 hour test? Hope you ladies are doing good.

Re: Glucose test

• Options
    tayzavtayzav member
    I had my 1 hour test yesterday and was told to call at 3:30 for my results, and of course my doctor didn't have them. I have no idea what my numbers were but I'm hoping I don't hafta do the 3 hour one. Sorry you hafta go back. At least you know though, that's always a plus. Good luck.
  • Options
    I took mine today but no results I wish I got mine that quick. But I know of a lot of ladies who fail the 1hr but pass the 3hr. If you do have it there are a few ladies here that can help you out and give diet tips.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mmk29mmk29 member
    I'm sorry you have to do the three hour, but better safe than sorry. Chances are in your favor that you'll pass the three hour though, good luck!
  • Options
    I failed the 1 hour and had to do the 3 hour. I passed then 3 hour with flying colors. Most people that fail the 1 hour go on to pass the 3 hour. My advice is drink lots of water that morning and bring a book to read! The worst part is being bored (and freezing in my doctor's office). Good luck!

Married DH December 2014
    Expecting DS#1 November 2015
  • Options
    I took the 1 hour test at 9 weeks. I had a 179. I didn't even have to do the 3 hour test, I was diagnosed with GD and I've been testing 4 times a day, and I've been on insulin for 2 months.
  • Options
    My office has only done the 3 hour test for the past 5 years. Cuts having to test twice, you either have it or don't. I had it with my 3rd and was diagnosed even earlier this time. So far managing with diet and exercise but it gets harder as baby gets bigger.
  • Options
    Im in Australia -I and a lot of my lady friends never had the option of doing the 1 hour test. Just the 3hr test. Im booked in for 3 weeks. Not looking forward to the fasting haha. Advise i was given was to bring lots of reading material. Good luck ladies x
  • Options
    Yeh im in Australia and have mine in three weeks too. Think mine is 2 or 3 hrs. Will bring crocheting. Lol will probly do a whole blanket in that time.
  • Options
    I failed the 1 hour by just 2 point and just found out I failed the 3 hour pretty badly, which shocked even my midwife.

I brought my iPad and watched Netflix during the test. It helped a lot.
  • Options
    I failed fhe 1 hour and passed the three no problem. The one hour has a big failure rate. You have to fast 8-10 hrs before the test and go without everything until the test is over. I had a book and my iPad to watch some Netflix. It wasn't terrible just a long morning. Good luck !
  • Options
    Honestly, it makes much MUCH more sense just to do the three hour test.  It's boring and sucks to have lots of blood taken, but it is what it is.  Most of the time it can be controlled via diet and exercise.    
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    I have the one hour test coming up - my doctors office was sort of rushed the last time I was in ... Is the one hour fasting or no?
  • Options
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Ellsmac said:
    I have the one hour test coming up - my doctors office was sort of rushed the last time I was in ... Is the one hour fasting or no?
    Yes.  All the glucose tests should be done after a fast.  My doctor told me not to eat/drink after 7pm appointment was 9am.  I was told by the phlebotomist when I arrived that 14hrs is unnecessary and unhealthy.  Just make sure it's a solid 8 hour fast and you should be fine.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options

Ellsmac said:

Yes.  All the glucose tests should be done after a fast.  My doctor told me not to eat/drink after 7pm appointment was 9am.  I was told by the phlebotomist when I arrived that 14hrs is unnecessary and unhealthy.  Just make sure it's a solid 8 hour fast and you should be fine.

For the one hour I was told no fasting was needed.
    With my daughter my test was late in the day so I had to eat and was fine. Passed with flying colors.
    With this one I ate eggs a few hours before and failed by 2 points.

For the 3 hour I was told 10-12 hours of fasting.
  • Options
    Same here. I was told not to fast for the 1 hr. I had oatmeal for breakfast and sausage and pasta for lunch. I passed with flying colors.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    urby87urby87 member
    edited July 2015
    Im in Australia -I and a lot of my lady friends never had the option of doing the 1 hour test. Just the 3hr test. Im booked in for 3 weeks. Not looking forward to the fasting haha. Advise i was given was to bring lots of reading material. Good luck ladies x
    Try to make sure that you're booked for as early as possible.  If you can do it in the morning, the fasting isn't as big of a deal because you won't have eaten anything while sleeping and you can just have a little later breakfast.

@Ellsmac In regards to fasting for the one-hour test, I was told to fast for both my early test and the test I have coming up.  The instructions must vary from one office to the next.  I would call your provider to clarify what they want you to do.
  • Options
    Pontot31 said:
    Ellsmac said:
    For the one hour I was told no fasting was needed. With my daughter my test was late in the day so I had to eat and was fine. Passed with flying colors. With this one I ate eggs a few hours before and failed by 2 points. For the 3 hour I was told 10-12 hours of fasting.
    I received conflicting answers about fasting for the 1-hr test. The office nurse who I talk to before my OB comes in told me to fast 8 to 10 hours, but when my OB came in she told me I don't have to fast. I'm fasting, though. I'll just go first thing in the AM & skip breakfast.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Mine says no fasting but my appointment was super early so I had only water that morning. It takes me time before I am ready for breakfast so the drink was my breakfast.
  • Options
    My doctor didn't say anything about fasting, I guess I'll have to call. Especially because I'm positive I won't be able to drive myself anywhere if I don't eat for eight hours :(
  • Options
    Mine isn't until next week but with my son I failed my 1 hour like you by being just below the cut off then passed my 3 hour no problem.
  • Options
    I was told by my Dr to make an appointment with the lab. Nothing about fasting at all. I called the lab and they said no appointment was needed and said nothing about fasting. Im going to call again just to make sure the last lab person I talked to knew what she was talking about and confirm whether or not I need to fast.
  • Options
    @Ellsmac my nurse and doctor told me I could have water and a light breakfast (my appt is at 9:30) just as long as it isn't high in carbs or sugar. But nothing after i finish the drink until the test is over.
  • Options
    Same as PP, my dr told me to have a light breakfast before the drink, then nothing between the drink and the test. I had plain eggs and nothing else, just in case.
  • Options
    I had a "surprise" GTT at my appointment thursday because there was a high level of glucose in my urine. They called yesterday and told me I failed it and needed to call Monday and schedule my 3 hour test. The receptionist on the phone was in such a rush and I was kind of in shock about it. Totally forgot to ask is it the same thing as the one hour? Same drink? Same amount? Just a longer time?
  • Options
    I had a "surprise" GTT at my appointment thursday because there was a high level of glucose in my urine. They called yesterday and told me I failed it and needed to call Monday and schedule my 3 hour test. The receptionist on the phone was in such a rush and I was kind of in shock about it. Totally forgot to ask is it the same thing as the one hour? Same drink? Same amount? Just a longer time?
    In my experience it's the same drink, same amount and they draw blood a total of 4 times.  Once before you drink and once every hour following. 

• Options
    And for all of us post test...
  • Options

In my experience it's the same drink, same amount and they draw blood a total of 4 times.  Once before you drink and once every hour following. 

That's a lot of blood! And thanks. I'm partially hoping to fail this one too and get diagnosed just in hopes that this is why I've been so sick for the past month and a half and that they've finally figured it out.
  • Options
    Can I just first say thank you ladies for bring this up.  You reminded me that I have to talk to the Dr about this on Monday at my appt.  I'm post gastric bypass surgery and dump horribly.  I asked the PA about it last time and she told me I had to take it.  To eat a light breakfast and take a phenegrene about an hour before I come in.  (they are going to do it not this appt Monday but the next.)  I tried to explain to her about my surgery and she gave me "standard of care" speech and told me I had to do it.  UMMMMM no.  No I do not.  due to the dumping I can have an alternative.  So when I saw this post I made a point to Google and get my research ready. 

Now, I think I shall go back to staring at @lolo427's last post because well, just because.  :)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    oliarnmom1517oliarnmom1517 member
    edited July 2015
    Have any of you ladies had you glucose test in the after noon?.. If so what did you do? It's early afternoon but I forgot to ask on Monday.. I figured since it was better to bring that question up here then starting another post..

Edit because I worded my question kinda funny.. And spelling because words are difficult today
  • Options
    Pontot31Pontot31 member
    edited July 2015

It's double the amount of glucose from the 1 hour.
    You fast for 10-12 hours and get your blood drawn when you first arrive. Then drink the drink and get it drawn again at 1,2 and 3 hours.
    Bring something to watch or read. It's long and boring.
  • Options

Have any of you ladies had you glucose test in the after noon?.. If so what did you do? It's early afternoon but I forgot to ask on Monday.. I figured since it was better to bring that question up here then starting another post..

Edit because I worded my question kinda funny.. And spelling because words are difficult today

I had my 1 hour last time in the afternoon. After working a 9 hour day. I ate as usual and made sure to limit sugar and eat higher in protein. I passed with no issues.
  • Options
    Pontot31 said:

I had my 1 hour last time in the afternoon. After working a 9 hour day. I ate as usual and made sure to limit sugar and eat higher in protein. I passed with no issues.

Thank you so much!
  • Options
    kbonelkbonel member
    Does the doc warn you before the glucose test? I have 24w appt next week and I have heard nothing but it would be the right time to do it?
  • Options
    First time, fasted for screening (1hr). I got a 139 and the cutoff was 140 so I had to do the fasting 3 hr. I passed the 3 hr test and was fine. It is a more concentrated glucola but the same volume. Super boring. I go on Monday for my screening. Dr said to eat a breakfast full of protein and fats like eggs and sausage this time and it will help counter the amount of sugar. I'm going to try it!
  • Options
    kbonel said:

Does the doc warn you before the glucose test? I have 24w appt next week and I have heard nothing but it would be the right time to do it?

I was given an order to go to the lab. I could do it whenever.
  • Options
    jesshock22jesshock22 member
    edited July 2015
    My doc warned me at my 24 week appt that I would test at my 28 week and gave me a hand out of what and when to eat and drink before the test.
  • Options
    My midwife just told me to come to the lab anytime between 7am and 3:30 and I didn't have to fast

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kmd91kmd91 member
    I just have to do mine a few days prior to my 28 week appointment so they'll have the results at my appointment. My doctor told me today that she recommends I go early in the morning so I won't have eaten anything that could end up causing me to fail, but that I didn't necessarily have to fast.
  • Options
    I've got to have glucose test 27th August not looking forward to it at all I'm in the UK so not sure how diff it is xx