2nd Trimester
Options

Gatorade/Powerade during pregnancy?

I'm assuming it's safe to drink since I read some posts about people drinking it but just wanted to make sure. I read that Powerade contains a preservative that can lead to birth defects. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Re: Gatorade/Powerade during pregnancy?

• Options
    I drink Gatorade religiously just for the taste and so far nothing's wrong
    Not sure about powerade though
  • Options
    Yup, like PP I'm not sure about Powerade, but I drink Gatorade all the time and have walked into my doctor's office holding it and haven't heard a word. I do try and stick to the clear or white-ish colored flavors.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I couldn't have gotten through the first trimester without Gatorade and I still drink it frequently. I usually go for a G2 because it's easier on my stomach.
  • Options
    While its obviously not the healthiest choice, it is safe.
  • Options
    laur0nlaur0n member
    Thank you everyone!!
  • Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited July 2015
    I think Powerade is just Gatorade under a different name, yes?

I think they're safe but be careful about how much sugar you take in overall. 

(psst: those same preservatives are in most packaged and bottled foods. I usually cook everything from scratch but since getting pregnant, I can't stand being near my kitchen or fridge - so it's already hopeless :) )
  • Options

Gatorade and Powerade (even the light versions) have crazy amounts of sugar. The average individual doesn't need that type of electrolyte replacement. Unless you have just run a marathon.

• Options
    I don't know if they're bad for you but the main ingredient in one of the preservatives was used to disperse the oil spilled in the Gulf a few years back. That's enough to get me to say no.
  • Options
    Nutrition Facts
    12 fl oz (360 mL)
    Servings Per Container about 2.5
    Calories
     Amount/Serving %DV* Amount/Serving %DV* 
    Total Fat 0g0%Total Carb less than 1g0%
    Sodium 150mg6%Protein 0g
    Potassium 35mg1%
    Niacin15%Vitamin B615%
    Vitamin B1215%Magnesium
    † Not a significant source of calories from fat, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, dietary fiber, sugars, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron.
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    WATER, LESS THAN 1% OF: CITRIC ACID, SALT AND MONO-POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE AND MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE AND CALCIUM CHLORIDE (ELECTROLYTE SOURCES), NATURAL FLAVORS, SUCRALOSE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, VITAMIN B3 (NIACINAMIDE), VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B12, BLUE 1, ASCORBIC ACID (TO PROTECT TASTE), CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PROTECT COLOR).