Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Blocked tear duct

My newborn is 1 week old today and I've noticed a white/yellow mucous along with some watering coming from his right eye, anyone else have this problem? Know any home remedies?

Re: Blocked tear duct

• I asked my doctor the same thing at our appointment last week - she said that there isn't really a remedy to take care of it, but to just keep wiping it off with a warm wet wash rag, and blotting it dry in between with a Kleenex. She said it will get better eventually, but that babies tear ducts are not yet developed the same as ours, so they don't drain like an adults does.
  • Our babe has one. They told me warm wash cloth compresses and to use my pinky to rub ten small circles in the corner of her eye. She said multiple times a day so I do it each time I change her. Two week appointment is on Thursday and they said they could do antibiotic ointment if it's not better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Will have to try massaging, thanks!
  • qtjo5qtjo5 member
    amyjay23 said:

Our babe has one. They told me warm wash cloth compresses and to use my pinky to rub ten small circles in the corner of her eye. She said multiple times a day so I do it each time I change her. Two week appointment is on Thursday and they said they could do antibiotic ointment if it's not better.

This is what we were told but to be honest we left it alone and now my baby is 12 days old and it is gone.