3rd Trimester
Options

No visitors while in hospital!

I'm only 17 weeks, but I am already thinking about how the delivery will be. I'm a very private and independent person and I would hate to have anyone else besides my husband, doctor, and nurses in the delivery room. And I definitely don't want anyone waiting at the hospital to come and see the baby right away, or in the waiting room for that matter. Seeing me at the hospital just gives them a visual image. Stop it! So, how could I tell people to not come visit at the hospital at all, they can come visit us at home, if they'd like.

Re: No visitors while in hospital!

• Options
    I'm only 17 weeks, but I am already thinking about how the delivery will be. I'm a very private and independent person and I would hate to have anyone else besides my husband, doctor, and nurses in the delivery room. And I definitely don't want anyone waiting at the hospital to come and see the baby right away, or in the waiting room for that matter. Seeing me at the hospital just gives them a visual image. Stop it! So, how could I tell people to not come visit at the hospital at all, they can come visit us at home, if they'd like.

Say "please don't come visit at the hospital". Easy. Just be honest.
  • Options
    FWIW, I don't understand why people are so adamant about not wanting visitors in the hospital. Maybe it's just me, but I was in such a state of euphoria after having both my kids and I was stoked that so many people cared and wanted to come see the baby. I loved having visitors. Do what you are comfortable with though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

FWIW, I don't understand why people are so adamant about not wanting visitors in the hospital. Maybe it's just me, but I was in such a state of euphoria after having both my kids and I was stoked that so many people cared and wanted to come see the baby. I loved having visitors. Do what you are comfortable with though.

This is my take on it too.
    Plus, I feel like when you're in the hospital you have people who can limit the visit, if you need to. When you're at home, it usually gets pretty hectic for that first little bit, trying to settle in with babe. I would hate to have to schedule in a whole bunch of random people who want to see the baby while I'm at home trying to adjust, without the help of medical staff.

But like pp said, do what you're comfortable with. And if no visitors is what you want, then own it and straight up tell people. There isn't really any other way to do it.

• Options
    It's your experience. You can share it with whoever you want. I'm the same way. I don't have any family where I live, just dh's family and I would NEVER want them around while in labor or while I push out my baby. And I want to actually try and rest/bond with my baby and husband before we go home. I disagree that visitors are better at the hospital than at home. I had so many disruptions the entire time I was at the hospital, which was all cause by nurses, and hospital staff. I almost had a break down because I constantly had people knocking on my door and coming in, when all I wanted was some sleep. I was in NO mood to entertain visitors.
  • Options
    I'm telling people to leave me the Frick alone! Some of my friends don't get that, but my husband and I have decided that when I go into labor we won't say anything to anyone, nor while we are in recovery or when we get home. We're stressed out enough trying to understand how to be a parent, deal with my aches and pains, and we plain don't want anyone coming in and messing with our brand new infant. Call me crazy but its my kid and my husband and I will bond and adjust comfortably before I put the needs of guests above that. Anyone shows up unexpectedly or starts prying around the edd will be told to go away and I don't care if it hurts their feelings. My house, my baby, my way.
  • Options
    We have already told everyone that we will let them know when we are ready for visitors. This gives us the flexibility to say no one until we get home, or change our minds and tell them to come right away. I explained it saying that I'm just not sure how I will feel, and everyone has been at least compliant if not understanding.
  • Options
    I thought I would be cool with visitors at the hospital...until I had my beautiful baby girl a week and a half ago. Between being exhausted from labor, having to wake up every 2-3 hrs to breastfeed, and all the hospital staff in and out of the room all day (my nurse and baby's nurse, housekeeping, birth records, photography, etc), visitors were the last thing I wanted. It seemed like I never had time to rest. We had a few that showed up and at some point, we had to make it obvious that we were about to pass out from exhaustion before they'd leave. Just tell people that you plan to rest and recover in the hospital and they can visit when you get home.
  • Options
    I'm pregnant with my fourth and after having 3 babies I know exactly what I want and don't want. With my first I had so many visitors at the hospital and I was ok with it then. It was my first baby and exciting time etc. With my second, oh my goodness. My inlaws literally arrived a little after delivery and was there up until visiting hours were over. It was horrible and annoying. I know it was just them though. They didn't know "when to go". I was actually angry. So I said never again. So when I had my third baby I told my husband no. I didn't want them coming. I only had 1 person visit and that was my aunt. I invited her because she literally lived 5 mins away and I barely ever saw her. She visited, held that baby once and left 20 mins later. I was good with that. I honestly loved it. Being able to have my baby and not have to worry about visitors coming etc. Also I didn't just having people visit me when we got home. I told everyone I would see them when I would. Which was about a week later at a birthday party. I wasn't trying to be rude, I've just become more of a private person. I also don't like tons of people holding my baby and passing them around. So Hun it's all up to you. It's your baby and it is all about how comfortable you are. They should understand that.
  • Options
    We have already told everyone that we will let them know when we are ready for visitors. This gives us the flexibility to say no one until we get home, or change our minds and tell them to come right away. I explained it saying that I'm just not sure how I will feel, and everyone has been at least compliant if not understanding.
    This is a great idea.
    Pregnancy Ticker