July 2015 Moms
Options

Breast milk upsetting LO

so I started breastfeeding in the hospital and exclusively did for the first week but then all the sudden my LO was super cranky like he had a tummy ache. I tried gas drops and legs exercises, but nothing helped he just screamed in pain so I tried formula and now he is perfect. Pooping great and all is good. When he just has my milk he would shart all day and had s bag butt rash on top of tummy ache. I am still pumping and freezing my milk hoping one day his tummy will get stronger and be able to handle it. Is anyone these going through this, or what am I doing that could be causing it. I am just so sad about because he was latching great And the breastfeeding was going amazing but now I can't because I'm hurting him. I just sit and cry about it. I don't want it to have formula but I don't know what else to do.

Re: Breast milk upsetting LO

• Options
    *Sorry for all the errors. I wrote while pumping ironically.
  • Options
    Could be something you're eating
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    He could have an intolerance or allergy to something you're eating. For most babies with these issues, it's dairy and/or soy. You could try cutting those out one at a time for a few days, try breast feeding again and see if the reaction is still there.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    I had this with my first one. The doctor first suggested I cut out dairy and so I did and switched to soy in my diet. No change, tried formula, still cranky, tried soy formula, baby broke out in hives head to toe. Turned out he had a dairy, soy, egg white, egg yolk, and peanut allergy so everything I was eating was upsetting him. Switched to a hypoallergenic formula and I had a new kid. My heart was broken I couldn't breastfeed but a happy baby was more important. He's 17.5 months now and outgrowing the dairy but nothing else yet. It's just trial and error when they're that little, but this time around the allergist recommended I try to breastfeed for as long as possible and work through the fussy periods in hopes that early introduction through breast milk decreases the risk of developing the allergies. Those weren't the recommendations 17.5 months ago, it amazes me how fast things can change! But wr going to try.
  • Options
    Agree with trying to cut out dairy and soy.
  • Options
    The formula would still have dairy so hmmmm...d you feel like you have a strong let down? My baby recently started being fussy, gassy etc...I realized she is gulping, coughing etc at beginning of feeding so I think it's my let down. I'm trying to burp her more and take her off breast...express a few drops until flow slows down etc. seems to have helped some. My first had the dairy/soy allergy and I had to cut sooooo much from my diet and it took forever for it to be out etc. I ended up putting him on hypoallergenic formula at 7 months old. But getting to that point was brutal...if my LO ends up with allergies I think I'd just do the hypoallergenic formula and call it a day. It's a hard decision but it's also hard to see your baby suffer due to food sensitivities.
  • Options
    I agre with the dairy and soy but if he can tolerate regulate formula it's probably not those because there is dairy and soy in regular formula. Call your lactation consultant and see what she wants you to do. I had a friend that had to cut out onions and a whole bunch of other things to rule everything out. And she just marked her breast milk with her diet at that time. So try to watch your diet and keep it simple and see if that changes things.
  • Options
    In addition to the foods already mentioned, excessively spicy dishes and "gassy" vegetables like broccoli in your diet can cause tummy discomfort/gas for your baby.
    Read about my motherhood journey and more at http://hallidaynelson.com/
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

TTGP July Siggy Challenge: Summer Fails
  • Options
    See if you have a local la leche league groups that may be able to help you. I read some interesting info on their website that was helpful without me contacting them.
  • Options
    My LO was great for about the first 2 weeks almost no crying at all then all of a sudden he was crying and screaming and fussing anytime he was awake. I tried removing stuff from my diet. I started with broccoli and that helped a bit also onions and peppers. It sucks because those are my favorited veggies, I cook onions into everything but since removing them he is great again. I'd suggest just removing one thing at a time and see if it helps or stick with the formula whatever you'd rather.