Trouble TTC

Questions about trigger shot

So I've been on follistim and I went in for an ultrasound today and had two mature follicles one 20 and a 19. So tonight I am getting the trigger shot (pregnyl) and was curious how all of you felt after? Did it make you sick? Was there any side effects?
Also my dr wrote down that I am to trigger tonight and then also next week, does anyone know why he would do that? I've never heard of that. I'm calling him tomorrow but I'm just curious if any of you have had to do that. Thanks so much!

Re: Questions about trigger shot

• I have taken Ovidrel, but not Pregnyl. I haven't had any significant side effects. I have never heard of a second dose later (that doesn't make much sense to me...if you've ovulated, there's no point in taking the trigger until a hopefully unnecessary next cycle). It's probably a good idea to confirm with him. Good luck with your cycle!
  • kistrakistra member
    I took pregnyl the first time I did an IUI. Don't know about the second shot a week later. I had some slight nausea for a day or two after the shot. Good luck!
    ***Siggy Warning Child and Loss***

Officially diagnosed with unexplained infertility after 4 years of TTC
    IUI#2 gave us DS#1 who became an angel a few minutes after birth from Noonan syndrome
    IUI#4 gave us DS#2 - going strong as a toddler!

TTC again... Found a clinical trial for unexplained infertility and finished 16 weeks of "lifestyle intervention"
    Cycle #1 - cancelled for ovarian cyst x3...
  • Loading the player...
  • My RE had me take a second shot a week later for luteal support. It causes the surge necessary to boost progesterone to support a pregnancy. I was told a second shot is even more effective than progesterone supplements.
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • Uh, interesting @blsav23 ! Would that mess up a Beta though? Or do you have to test later?
  • KidShrink said:

Uh, interesting @blsav23 ! Would that mess up a Beta though? Or do you have to test later?

No, it doesn't mess up the beta since it is quantitative. But---it forces you to wait for your beta since a HPT will show positive longer, obviously. I only did the second trigger when I didn't have my 7 dpo progesterone checked (I don't know why my first RE didn't check it). Once I switched REs, to one who checked my 7 dpo progesterone, it was found to be high enough that I didn't require luteal support, thus not requiring a second ovidrel.
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • Thanks ladies! I triggered on Sunday now just one more and I'm done :). Wish me luck!
  • wbirdwbird member
    GOOOOOOOD LUCK!!! Fingers X'd!
  • @Addysmama7 Good luck!

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • @Addysmama7 I took Follistim too but I'm taking a Novarel Trigger shot tonight and I have never heard of a second shot! That's pretty interesting that it helps support your literal phase, I may ask my doctor about this when I see him Monday since I have a short literal phase. Anyway Good Luck my fingers are crossed for you!
    Ttc since March 2012 Me: 24 Dh: 25 Mother of many fur/feathered-babies! 3 dogs (Phoenix,Lacey,Piper), 4 cats (Grace,Delilah,Elvira,Birdie), 7 ducks, and 4 hens! HSG came back normal, Diagnosis: DOR, Last FSH reading: 17, Failed 3 rounds of clomid with timed intercourse, Failed 3 rounds of follistem with Noveral and timed intercourse, Failed 1 round unmedicated IUI, Failed 1 round medicated IUI
  • By now, I'm sure you know how it's treated you.  I'll only mention this-- the shot gave me some very mild pregnancy symptoms (which makes sense, it mimics pregnancy hormones), mainly nausea. 

Keep that in mind, that the shot could give you a little mild nausea the next day or two, so you don't drive yourself nuts symptom-spotting and wondering if it worked. 

Good luck!!
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)