3rd Trimester

Iron deficiency

Hi, I am 31 weeks pregnant and have been informed that my iron levels are low. While I am put on oral iron supplements, I have been told I might need intravenous iron injections. Has anyone gone through this? Please advise as I am nervous. Thanks

Re: Iron deficiency

• Not me personally, but I know people that have.

In addition to the iron pill, increase your iron rich foods.

Also, iron pills cause green or black stools, don't panic. And take a stool softener.
  • I am 37+6. I was put on iron supplements at about 29 weeks. My doctor told me to get the slow-releasing iron because it's easier on your digestive system. I have not had any problems so far. I usually take mine at noon and my prenatal vitamins around 6pm so I'm not getting all the iron at once. My hemoglobin was 10 and now it's 12, so it's definitely working. Sorry, I don't know much about IV iron.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had intravenous injections. From memory I had 5, and you have one every 2 - 3 days. There is a risk of the solution leaking into the surface skin and staining your skin, but my nurse had a technique to avoid that, and I didn't have any problems. I ended up having two courses because of a miscarriage some months later where I heammorhaged badly, and needed an iron boost after that.

I've also had an intravenous drip of iron. I think it takes a couple of hours to complete, but I had a reaction to it, and it affected my breathing. Nothing major I just called them and said I felt funny and tight in my chest. The nurse stopped the drip and called the Doctor in. As soon as the drip was stopped I was fine, so they slowed down the drip rate a couple of times, but every time they started the drip up again it affected me, so we couldn't proceed. I was bummed because I was looking forward to a couple of hours reading a book.

My Dr. said in regards to the drip that it's like an allergic reaction, and that it's not that you're allergic to iron it's just that some people don't take well to it going into the bloodstream so directly.

So that's my experience with a couple of different options. Is there something imparticular that you are nervous about?
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Mine is as well ! I figured when I was eating 3 & 4 ice trays a day! And develop a taste for baby powder