Infertility
Options

First appt for tests today

Today I have my first appointment to start all the testing before IUI. I believe it's just blood tests and an ultrasound and also talking about finances. I'm really praying they're going to tell me insurance will cover everything. Fingers crossed and I hope they don't find anything wrong or unusual.

Re: First appt for tests today

• Options
    jnissajnissa member
    I am hoping they tell you that, too! FX!
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Options
    Thanks! I found out my insurance covers 6 IUIs and 4 IVFs 100 percent. I just picked up my clomid for $8. I feel so lucky. And now I only hope it works. I start clomid tomorrow already and go for my Hsg Monday. Thanks for your well wishes. :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh and apparently I have a good amount of eggs. Waiting for my Fsh results now.
  • Options
    That is awesome!!! Good luck to you!
    Me - 32 
    Husband - 32
    TTC #1 - since 10/16/2012 
    IVF#1 6/2015 BFN 
    FET 7/2015 - BFP

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Lucky you! That's awesome! Fingers crossed you don't have to make it further than the first round of IUI!
    So Clomid only for you? Or any other meds on top of that?
  • Options
    Thanks. :-) clomid and then ovidrel later. Still waiting for my Fsh results. They should be coming in soon.
  • Options
    Just got my FSH results: 6.5
  • Options
    Wow that is amazing! Can I ask where you live? My insurance covers 3 IUIs but not the meds and that's it! You are one lucky lady.
    TTC #1 since August 2013
    Unexplained/ Endo
    Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
    IVF #1- BFN
    FET #1- BFP; Ectopic pregnancy found at 7wks
    FET #2- February 2017 BFP  Beta #1- 119 (8dp5dt) Beta #2- 475 (12dp5dt)
  • Options
    I live in PA but my insurance is from NY since I work there. Where do you live?
  • Options
    That's awesome that your insurance covers the IUI's and the IVF. Unfortunately our insurance doesn't cover the IUI or IVF. We are on our first round of IUI. I'm 5 days into the Bravelle shots. Then Ovidrel. Fingers  crossed. Just hoping for the  best but trying to not get too excited as I know that it may not work. Best of luck to you. When do you start the medication? 
  • Options
    Yay!! Good luck to you too. I guess I'm just super grateful about the insurance because otherwise we wouldn't be able to do this out of pocket. Well maybe once but then if that didn't work that would be it for us. I'm on day 2 of clomid and going for Hsg tomorrow afternoon. And back for ultrasound and blood work on day 12. Do you know when your IUI will be yet?
  • Options
    Wow! That is great insurance! Here I am happy my insurance covers IUI haha. I have literally NEVER heard of anyone whose insurance covers IVF.
  • Options
    The only way my insurance will cover IVF is if I go through 6 IUIs first. So I can't decide when I want it. I need 6 cycles first to be qualified for IVF. Which is fair I guess.
  • Options
    I grew up in NY and had fabulous insurance then. I'm in NC. I'll have my last covered IUI in August then everything is out of pocket.
    TTC #1 since August 2013
    Unexplained/ Endo
    Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
    IVF #1- BFN
  • Options
    So it goes by state? That's crazy!!
  • Options
    I think some states consider infertility a disease and the benefits are much better.
    TTC #1 since August 2013
    Unexplained/ Endo
    Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
    IVF #1- BFN
  • Options
    Wow. That's really insane that not every state and insurance company would at least cover some of it if not all. As I said we would not be doing this even if it wasn't for 100% coverage so I am extremely grateful. Now I just need it to work!!
  • Options
    That's amazing! Good luck!
  • Options
    paisleybrownpaisleybrown member
    edited July 2015
    My insurance covers nothing but ultrasounds, after the deductible. I'm so incredibly stressed because I can't afford to do anything beyond clomid, which is completely out of pocket as well. I don't understand why (other than corporate greed) infertility isn't covered and considered a medical condition that should be treated appropriately. I have PCOS and it seems nothing is covered to treat the side effects (infertility), yet, I have lupus and everything under the sun relating to it is covered. Even if I weren't trying to get pregnant, isn't it important that our bodies work as they should. I thought about asking my insurance company if coding things differently would change coverage. Has anyone else gone this route and was your doctor willing to code as treatment of a medical condition vs infertility?

Serious congratulations to you though. It must be an incredible relief to have that kind of coverage and know that you're not limited to just one procedure. Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    Thanks @paisleybrown I am not taking it for granted at all. How many times have you tried IUI already?
  • Options
    I have not tried at this point. I've been doing cycles of clomid since April/May. We haven't taken the next step yet, but I'm not sure it's something our finances would allow. My coworker was able to get pre-authorization through her insurance (I use my husband's) for injectables, so she did not have to pay the $3000+ for them. My insurance likely won't unless it's coded for something other than infertility.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Drove2u  - Your insurance is awesome! Mine covers up to 6 IUIs per live birth and all the appointments aside form the copay. They also cover most of the medication costs, but I still have to pay some of that ($65 a shot). My insurance doesn't cover IVF at all. The finance guy at the office told me though that there is an insurance I can switch to and they cover IVF after six failed IUIs so he said once we get to that point we could think about switching. Good luck to you!

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    Thanks!! Sounds like your insurance isn't too shabby either. My clomid cost me $8 and the ovidril shot was $50 but retail was $138. I have to do 6 IUIs before insurance covers any IVFs. I also have copays.
  • Options

Drove2u - Hopefully your copays aren't bad. Mine are $35 a pop which isn't too bad at all. I feel very lucky that my insurance covers so much when others have insurance that covers anything.

I honestly feel like insurance carriers should be required to offer some sort of coverage, we didn't chose to have this problem. It should be treated as any other illness, especially since it is so common!

• Options
    jnissajnissa member
    @paisleybrown - I feel you. We're OOP as well. I will be paying fertility off for years to come. It makes no sense to me why it's not covered for anybody of healthy maternal age. It's ridiculous. Coding would change the coverage, but most clinics are pretty upfront about not being willing to do that. It's always worth an ask, though. 

Take a deep breath. Step back and don't let that stress you. Then start brainstorming :) 
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Options
    jnissa - I agree that insurances should cover this stuff. Maybe one day they will.. One could hope! I have a cousin right now who is stuck in limbo because they paid for two IUIs with clomid out of pocket, they can't afford IUI with injectables and definitely can't afford IVF. I feel so bad for her. It's really not fair. We don't choose to have this problem!

• Options
    My copay is $30 so not bad at all.