January 2016 Moms

A bowel discussion

2»

Re: A bowel discussion

• kvacmak said:
    As a nurse unfortunately my work revolves around poop lol. My go to's are avocado (surprisingly high on fiber, also good fats) , flax (same as avocado) and berries (fibre) in a smoothie daily if you can. Also pay close attention to your movements and aim for one per day. Any less and they get harder and more difficult to pass. If I'm feeling a little backed up I take my hot cup of tea (or hot water with lemon, or herbal tea) with me to the bathroom, get out my stool (like discussed above) and drink the tea as hot and as fast as I can tolerate while sitting on the toilet. The combination of the heat in the tea and the squatting position works every time!
    Definitely going to have to try this. haha. 

I've always paid close attention to my BMs because it's been an ongoing issue for at least the past 10 years or so.  THANKFULLY all of the things I did yesterday seemed to help.  Seriously...thank god.  Over the day I had oatmeal, an apple, a cucumber, benefiber in yogurt, coffee, and tons of water (not including my regular lunch/dinner).  Seemed to do the trick (at least for now...).

Thanks for all of the great suggestions, everyone!

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• I started eating yogurt at least twice a day. Its help way more then any medicine has helped. It also helps settle my stomach when Im feeling nauseous. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hrc724Hrc724 member
    nlwz123 said:

nlwz123 said:

Hrc724 said:

nlwz123 said:

JAGClark said:

I started using colace Monday. HUGE difference!!

Did you ask your doctor before you started it?  My concern was they specifically told me not to take any laxatives.
    Colace is a stool softener, not a laxative.

Gotcha.  I've never taken a laxative, so I must have misheard my doctor when she was quickly listing off the meds.

Oh wait, nevermind.  Now after looking it up I see that she must have said peri-colace (both a stool softener and laxative).

My doctor does allow milk of magnesia, which is a laxative, so if you find you need one ask yours about MOM.
  • I know that they recommend against drinking herbal tea frequently. But I found in the beginning when I was having no relief that this really helped me out. I just drank it before bed and in the morning there was relief.

I'm not sure where you are located but I found it with the other teas at the supermarket.
  • Loving all these suggestions. Coffee usually helps me, but I will definitely be trying these things when it doesn't work. Only during pregnancy is taking a crap a glorious occasion. It makes the difference between button my pants and not these days!

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• SummerOH said:
    Loving all these suggestions. Coffee usually helps me, but I will definitely be trying these things when it doesn't work. Only during pregnancy is taking a crap a glorious occasion. It makes the difference between button my pants and not these days!
    HAHA, tell me about it.  I made a formal announcement to my husband this morning because I felt so much better.  For me, I feel like part of it is psychological, too.  If I know that my body is being irregular, I kind of start freaking out

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• KaraEpp16 said:
    I know that they recommend against drinking herbal tea frequently. But I found in the beginning when I was having no relief that this really helped me out. I just drank it before bed and in the morning there was relief.

I'm not sure where you are located but I found it with the other teas at the supermarket.
    Hmm, I think I've seen that before.  I'll ask my doc if it's ok to take (since it says stimulant laxative at the bottom).  Thanks for the suggestion!

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• @nlwz123 found this during a quick search.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/457492-senna-in-pregnancy/

I only drank it as an absolute last resort. May/June was rough so I only drank it maybe 4 times over a period of 6 - 7 weeks. Luckily, I haven't had to drink it since - I feel like it helped regulate things for up to two weeks afterwards as well. I didn't experience any cramping. But everyone is different.

I hope your doc is cool with it as a last resort - because I'm telling you it worked beautifulllyyyyy. Good luck!

• I've dealt with constipation my whole life. It wasn't until I cut out gluten that I became regular for the first time ever. I paired that with a probiotic, daily colace, and magnesium (taken as a migraine preventative but has stool softening properties) and I was golden. Then I got pregnant. The constipation is back again. Part of it is likely that I've been eating some gluten again (oyster crackers were the only thing I could tolerate for a while). I would definitely recommend the colace as a first step. I second putting your feet up a la squatty potty as well.
  • During pregnancy I'm either constipated or

Colace, lemon water or honestly eating a cheeseburger from McPoops helps.

The pregnancy poop is glorious. Not to be confused with the post delivery poop... :shudders:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just wish that when I actually did poo, that the smell of my poo didn't make me nauseous.