Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Family childcare boundaries

NickiochNickioch member
edited July 2015 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
FTM, 3 mo old boy here. I'm back to work and super fortune to have my parents and also sister watching son during the week. He goes to their homes and both my folks and my sis have been taking him for walks which is great but they'll bring them to their neighbors or have walk/play dates with friends. This makes my husband uncomfortable and he thinks they should ask us before doing things with other people. I hadn't really thought about it but I guess I agree to some extent. How do I approach the topic without them thinking we're being untrustworthy or overly sensitive? Thoughts?? Thank you!!

Re: Family childcare boundaries

• Options
    First, I can understand being uncomfortable not knowing exactly where your baby is during the day or who is around him/her. So maybe you should ask for updates if they're going to take the baby out of the neighborhood and maybe just lay out what you wouldn't be comfortable with, like hanging out where people smoke in the house or something.
    Second, you can't just expect your family to have no life just because they are baby sitting all week for you. So really, you just need to decide what you're comfortable with and be open and honest with your family. At least that's my opinion.
  • Options
    saric83saric83 member
    edited July 2015
    My only concerns would be if it were with people, like PP mentioned, who smoke or if the kiddos are older and not vaccinated (obviously, to each their own, but that doesn't fly in our world).  

What is it about them taking him anywhere that makes your husband uncomfortable?  If it's something beyond a medical concern (like the two situations above), I think he's being unreasonable.  Does he just have the problem with them being at someone else's house, or is it the fact that they leave their own house with him period?  Like would he have an issue with it if they were going to run errands? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PP. You have a huge blessing that family is willing to watch your LO. Asking them to be confined to a house while doing so is unrealistic and is going to cause bridges to be broken.
  • Options

Are you not comfortable talking to your parents and sister?! That's a bigger issue.

My cousin has watched both my children and I trust her 100% so I never question where she takes them. She does give me a run down when I pick them up of things they've done during the day and if there is anything I want changed or I'm concerned about I bring it up right away. I pay her too so it's a business arrangement as well as family.

This is your child. If you are uncomfortable, bring it up. I wouldn't be if I were in your shoes though.