March 2015 Moms
Options

4 month funk

This week I have just felt horrible. Not super depressed but very irritable, teary, and angry. At everything. I have everything to be happy about.. My little boy is a sweetheart. He's a very happy baby who's always laughing and wanting to play. He past few days I have just been so blah. I don't look forward to waking up and taking care of him and have gotten mad over stupid things like him crying (starting to teethe) i am finding myself obsessing over things like doing enough tummy time and why isn't he wanting to roll over and questioning if I'm being a good mom. I don't know if it's hormones or if I could be getting depressed. I hope it is just a phase and passes fast but I am curious if anyone else is feeling this way?

Re: 4 month funk

• Options
    I've had something kinda similar. I've been getting angry so easily over stupid work stuff, and just feeling blah and off for about a week. I don't know if this is similar for you, but at 3.5 months post partum I feel like I'm going through another adjustment where the excitement of the new baby has dissipated and now it's just.. everyday life. That sounds worse than I mean it to, but I'm not sure how else to say it. I've been back at work a month now and at first I though, hey! I'm surviving this! But now I realize that I'm passed the "surviving it" phase and this is just my normal every day routine. The other day I had a silly meltdown because I didn't get to change my son's diaper all day (my husband did it when we were home and my son was in daycare the rest of the day). I'm hoping its normal to feel out of whack sometimes, but you're definitely not alone!
  • Options
    I am also going through a blah phase.... @murrayce you're absolutely right. The reality is setting in that this is just everyday life now and there's no relief in sight. I'm feeling like I've almost completely lost my identity. @SMac2013 like you, I feel guilty because I have a great life and the most beautiful, happy healthy baby whom I adore, but I'm just feeling unhappy with myself. I can't stand that I'm 15 lbs heavier, my skin looks horrible, and I absolutely don't care about what I wear anymore. I used to be very fashionable and always had a flat stomach, so this image change is really tough for me to cope with. We have a family business that my parents and husband are all part of, but I just don't care anymore which is totally unlike me since I was miss independent "won't let a man domesticate me" workaholic before lol. I've convinced myself that my husband isn't as attracted to me anymore since we have sex maybe every other week. He's my best friend and we have a solid relationship, but between working together every day and both of us adjusting to life with baby, the romance is pretty much a distant thought. I just don't know how to snap out of this funk and make time for me again. I know I am my own problem, but it's just so hard to get motivated to make a change when I'm feeling worn down every day. I've never been one to worry about depression but I just don't know how else to describe this. Sure, it's probably part of all the emotional terrorism that took place in our bodies.... But when do WE ever get a break.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, I've been feeling it, made a post about it a week or so ago! I just feel off some days. I get upset easily or my feelings hurt, I feel overwhelmed, and sometimes feel like I just need a break. From all the replies I got, it's not uncommon or unusual. And you're definitely not alone! I think it takes time to get used to motherhood, especially if you're a ftm with no experience with babies (like me). Hang in there. You're doing a great job, I'm sure, if you have a happy baby, it's all good!
  • Options
    Thanks. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
  • Options
    You are definitely not alone! I feel the same way and have gone to the doctor over it but even with medication I still feel like most days I have not a lot to look forward to. I feel really guilty saying that because I have a healthy baby and a ton of firsts for him to look forward to but I have lost my identity and most days don't even know who I am anymore other than mom. It has been very hard since my baby has had colic and is now four months and still hasn't grown out of it like they said he would. He is so fussy all the time!
  • Options
    I'm really having a hard time with my body image, and it's not helping that my hair keeps falling out like crazy! I agree that part of all the emotions everyone is experiencing may be that the "newness" is wearing off. Remember that being a mommy isn't easy! Your body has been through SO much, and it STILL is going through alot. Hang in there! You are all beautiful, strong women for growing a baby inside you, giving birth, and now taking care of that little one through every new stage in life. You rock! Don't forget that! 
  • Options
    I am feeling this. Very emotional a lot lately. I also get so aggravated when my son crys. I know it may sound bad saying that but it I true. I am glad that I'm not the only one that the new baby phase has worn off on. Especially being a single mother right now it is just all so overwhelming and I feel like I will never get any rest now.