December 2015 Moms

Anyone using or has used Nair

Or anything similar while pregnant? I doonntttttt wannnnaaa shaaaave lol. You think it'd be safe?

Re: Anyone using or has used Nair

• Personally, I wouldn't use it because of the chemicals in it. Nair literally melts the hair off your body.. To me it just seems like it wouldn't be so good to absorb through the skin. I've never read a study saying it's bad or anything but I just wouldn't want to risk it! I'm gonna stick to shaving. Plus my hubby has volunteered to shave my legs whenever I want so I don't have to do it!! (Although he was kind of quick to volunteer to do it so I probably should worry about ulterior motives lol)

Maybe someone else has read something more definitive on the subject??

Kylie M.

Baby #1 Born 12.16.2015

Baby #2 Due 7.13.2018

• I have no idea if it's safe or not. I used it when I was about 13 and it gave me a rash and burned. Now that our skin is even more sensitive it might not be worth it! Amen to the not wanting to shave though. It's way too much work!
  • Loading the player...
  • tesarytesary member
    I also used at like 13 and got a rash I remember the chemicals in it smelling very strong.
  • Someone tell me yes dammit!! Haha kidding (sort of) i, too, had an awful experience in middle school along with a few of my friends but have used it since then and it seems to have come a long way. While it doesn't smell nearly as bad I know all the chemicals are still there so there's that. I'm too Italian to not be able to find a better solution than shaving lmao
  • Italian here as well.. The curse of dark thick hair lol Ain't nobody got time for that!

Kylie M.

Baby #1 Born 12.16.2015

Baby #2 Due 7.13.2018

• You get me @kmac103 and I love you for that haha. It's true. Sometimes misery does really enjoy company.
  • I asked my midwife about using it, and she said there was no reason not to in terms of protecting the baby, but that hormones can make us more sensitive to products. She said it would be fine, but that I should do a patch test 24 hrs before to make sure it won't cause a reaction. I'm just gonna go for it, though I'm too lazy to do it yet!
  • I've used it while pregnant.... no weird reactions. I used the Nair in shower because the total time on the skin is less than the others. It was also for sensative skin.
  • @adbrading that is especially true during pregnancy! I just wish I had a girlfriend that was at the same point as me! My two pregnant friends are both due within the next month so I'm all alone in my 16w3d lol My best friend isn't ever having kids so when I talk about this stuff she doesn't get it. Although she did find it impressive that I managed to not pee myself for 3 whole weeks lol

Kylie M.

Baby #1 Born 12.16.2015

Baby #2 Due 7.13.2018

• amye02amye02 member
    I tried it in the beginning of my pregnancy, the "Brazilian Spa Clay" kind...it BURNED so bad I had to use ice to take some of the pain away and it was loose clothes for a couple of days. I wouldn't recommend it.

:((
  • I saw this and thought it fitting for this conversation.
  • I've been using it for years now with no issues. I double checked and its fine to use. I really love nair and I have no problems with using it now.
  • @iheartmyroof thanks
    kmac103 said:

@adbrading that is especially true during pregnancy! I just wish I had a girlfriend that was at the same point as me! My two pregnant friends are both due within the next month so I'm all alone in my 16w3d lol My best friend isn't ever having kids so when I talk about this stuff she doesn't get it. Although she did find it impressive that I managed to not pee myself for 3 whole weeks lol

I totally get this @kmac103. I am the first of my friends to be pregnant! There's a lot of girls I work with who are a lot younger than me who got pregnant months before i did and now even they are all gone because they've had their babies already.

I am so happy I have this group lol.
  • Oh no @amye02 that sounds awful! I'll just do a small test patch first.
  • I wax! I'm going to keep waxing until the bitter end, because I have curly hair (yes, even my leg hair) and shaving doesn't work. My hair follicles are so thick they break my skin when they come through and I bleed, but it grows a little thinner each time and I can ignore my hair for 3 weeks while it grows in. Give it a shot! After the first few times it doesn't hurt nearly as much.
    Angela

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @angetralala I can totally deal with the pain of waxing it's just is so harsh on my skin for some reason. I get more ingrowns when I wax than when I shave. It's so annoying! I find that when I go get Brazilians at a salon I do much better but the at home wax kits are just a nightmare for me. I'm really looking for a solution that's easier on my skin and my wallet. Oh and most of all my sanity haha.
  • I tried using Nair once, my hair is too thick.   It resulted in a mutant hair graveyard of banzai tree shaped hairs.

If you really want to use it, try it on a patch of skin to make sure you don't have a reaction.
  • Used it! I have verrryy thick hair so I opted for the Nair for men after doing some research. Worked like a dream. And really hardly had a smell, I was seriously worried it would smell really manly or like chemicals. Let's see how long this hair stays gone...
  • I used Nair years ago when I wasn't pregnant and I got chemical burns from it on both legs, never been near it since. So I'd say no to using it during pregnancy.
  • amye02amye02 member
    adbrading said:

Oh no @amye02 that sounds awful! I'll just do a small test patch first.

I should add...I used it prepregnancy with no issues, see how you do with a small area