August 2015 Moms

Can a cervix check stimulate the loss of mucous plug?

Throughout this pregnancy the one worry I have had is that my body wont go into labour by itself.  I have a pretty steady family history of inductions and c-sections so rational or not its a worry that has been on my mind.  I am 37 +3 and have had zero signs of anything labour related (makes me happy because he isnt ready) but today I began losing my mucous plug.  I had a cervix check yesterday and and wondering if that could have anything to do with it or if I can take it as a small glimmer of hope that maybe my body knows what its doing.  I know that losing the plug is no indication of when or if I will actually go into labour but at least it would be a sign that something is happening as it's supposed to.

I did try to search this but couldn't find this exact question and got a little tired of the endless "is this my mucous plug" and "when will I go into labour" questions so I am crossing my fingers that this isn't a duplication.

Re: Can a cervix check stimulate the loss of mucous plug?

• I never had Braxton hicks or contractions with my first, my water broke at 41 weeks and then I had contractions.. I didn't loose my mucus plug until after my water broke either. So your body does know what to do :)

As for cervix check causing loss of plug, I'm sure it's possible.
  • Yes, it's totally possible that the check irritated your cervix, hence having a bit of bloody show.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep. That was always a warning with my last pregnancy after a cervix check. Definitely possible. Also, at 37 weeks I wouldn't be necessarily looking for signs that your body is gearing up. You still have 3 weeks for your body to do its thing.

DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I lost mine after every cervix check. It will regenerate. In my 39th-40th week I had a check on Thursday that week, bloody show Friday night and labor started Saturday morning very early.
  • According to my doctor (just like PP's stated), cervical checks can cause you to lose part of or all of your mucus plug, but it can regenerate.
  • Thanks everyone. I figured it was the check that did it but I was curious :)
  • gulimzgulimz member

Yep. That was always a warning with my last pregnancy after a cervix check. Definitely possible. Also, at 37 weeks I wouldn't be necessarily looking for signs that your body is gearing up. You still have 3 weeks for your body to do its thing.

I dunno, lately it seems like most of August is delivering. I'm getting paranoid
  • I had the same question. After my doc checked me this week, I was quite uncomfortable, but no spotting or loss of plug. I did not lose my plug in my previous pregnancies either though.
  • gulimz said:

Yep. That was always a warning with my last pregnancy after a cervix check. Definitely possible. Also, at 37 weeks I wouldn't be necessarily looking for signs that your body is gearing up. You still have 3 weeks for your body to do its thing.

I dunno, lately it seems like most of August is delivering. I'm getting paranoid
    Don't be paranoid. We're getting close so you really never know. I just learned with my last pregnancy to expect to hit 40 weeks. That way you're not driving yourself crazy analyzing every ache and pain to be "labor".
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Last week I bleed and lost parts of mine after my cervical check. Not nearly the whole thing. This week, nothing.
    Pregnancy Ticker