March 2015 Moms
Options

Making baby food?!? UPDATE

gdamore11gdamore11 member
edited July 2015 in March 2015 Moms
As if we don't already have enough on our plates! So, after our 4 month check up today the doc gave us the green light to try incorporating some solids gradually into his diet. I've been looking forward to this as a break from being his sole food source....yet now I'm realizing how nice it was to not have to worry about whether or not I was feeding my baby the best since it has only been my breastmilk! OF COURSE I need to make his food myself now lol. I just ordered a food processor that chops, grinds and purees....read reviews until I could find the best recipe book and spoons....and now I think I'm ready to take on this new role! I plan to start with sweet potatoes, and then will slowly try other pure vegetables and fruits as he gets used to it. I know it's good to add in some breastmilk to help him transition to these new foods too. I still plan to breastfeed primarily, but it will be nice to have some other options since I never had the balls to breastfeed in public, which has made it even more difficult! Is anyone else planning to make their own baby food and what foods will you start with? Any tips on the best kitchen devices or utensils? I have ordered the BabySteps electric food mill, the NUK mash and serve bowl, and the Boon swap baby utensils. Hoping I like what I picked :-S
---------------------------------

Well so far it's a hit! I made LO sweet potato purée mixed in with some breastmilk and water to get a soft consistency. The first time he seemed intrigued when I put a little bit in his mouth using my finger, but got annoyed by his chair seat base and I think the spoon was weird for him. The next time I decided to just feed him the whole serving off of my finger while DH held him in his lap. He definitely enjoyed the experience much more! He was lunging towards the food!!! It did keep him from pooping until the next morning, and his poop looked exactly like the purée lol. He seems more and more eager to eat food each time we try now. Next up, homemade applesauce!

Re: Making baby food?!? UPDATE

• Options
    I plan to do homemade foods again, it was fairly easy the first time. Will start with simple rice cereal and poi, then add in okinawan sweet potatoes, green beans and butternut squash. I like to do all veggies first, saving fruits for later. We have the Beaba baby food steamer/processor, it works ok. I recently got a BlendTec, so I will be using that as our primary food processor. Already used XOXO brand for freezer storage, and random spoons and plates we've accumulated since baby #1.

Things I've learned: peas are very difficult to make, it needs to be strained to achieve a smooth consistency. Feed the same food 4 days in a row to rule out food allergies. Once baby has tried various foods, try doing blends. Different babies have different tastes/textures. DO NOT FEED BABY HONEY! (Botulism spores!!!) Other foods to avoid: peanuts, shellfish, eggs, strawberries, and chocolate. (Seriously though, it's parental choice, but most are considered high allergen foods)

Here's a great website I use, it comes with tons of info and cooking guides.
    https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/squashbabyfoodrecipes.htm

Good luck and happy prepping!
  • Options
    I am currently doing this and is been fun since you can make foods that they don't sell in the containers. We've introduced rice cereal, peaches (which I got at the farmers market and couldn't wait for her to try but I wish I would have waited on fruits!) and green beans. I use a general food processor and the run it through a mesh strainer to get it really smooth. I freeze in ice cube trays and then Pop them on and store in ziplock bags in the freezer! I did buy an electric food steamer and that was a life saver because I can steam dinner for us on one tier and steam extra veggies for baby on the other tier and it saves a lot of time! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tupperware sells a food streamer that works wonderfully to use in the microwave. My sister is a consultant, so she gave me one for my shower. Haven't used it yet for baby food, but I am thinking I will try to do some of my own food. I'm also perfectly ok with using the pre-made food, since I'm sure I won't have time to do it all since I'm already feeling swamped with work and baby and house! No need to further complicate my life with attempting to make all her food from scratch! Especially for the beginning foods, which need to be much thinner than a food processor could typically do easily. And I, too, would like to start with veggies (after rice cereal). Excited to start, but with a 3/23 baby, I'm waiting until her four month visit and official ok at the end of the month.
  • Options
    Our pediatrician gave us the ok for baby food at our 4 month check up. She was really excited that I wanted to make our own baby food. She said to start with carrots and introduce it at breakfast for 5 days. She said to ALWAYS introduce a new food in the morning so that you can monitor your baby for an allergic reaction. Then, she said to stick with all food of the same color for a while. (ie carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc.) She did recommend that I buy a jar of the Stage 1 food at the store just so I could match the consistency. Also, if you work, I have a friend who makes her baby's food, freezes it in ice cube trays, and pops the cubes in a Ziploc bag to send with him to day care. Genius. Our garden vegetables are really starting to come in, so I can't wait to make baby food out of those and freeze them. 
  • Options
    We just went for a 4 month check up. My pediatrician suggested we hold off on food. My baby has grown 6 inches and gained 11 pounds. She sits up with help and drinks about 30 oz a day. May I ask what milestones your babies were reaching that made their provider give the ok? Thank you :)
  • Options
    @Christina80xoxo we don't have 4 month checks over here, but I'm using the same sort of 'milestones' for my daughter - ie she's gaining weight and growing like a weed on just breast milk, and therefore I see no need to complicate things so early. I'm also intrigued as to your answer.
  • Options
    @secretbaba
    I'm just trying to compare notes. Everybody should do what's best. Just trying to hear out why some would start so early because I don't feel mine is ready. No judgement. Just trying to hear other points of view so I can make an educated decision for my baby.
  • Options
    Ditto, sorry if that came across funny @Christina80xoxo I was in the midst of the bedtime feed! I'm curious :)>-
  • Options
    My reasons for starting solids soon are that my boy is always hungry and now eating almost every two hours during the day instead of 3-4! I can't keep living life in 2 hour increments!!! He also shows interest in our food. He smacked a salad out of my hand a couple days ago lol I'm definitely gonna start slow because I am worried about complicating things, but it's gotta happen at some point so I guess I'd rather really start slow and get him pretty used to more foods by the time he's 6 months, rather than waiting until then to even try. I also feel like it might be even harder to get him used to solids the longer we wait. I still plan to breastfeed for all meals except for one solid a day until he lets me know he's ready for more!
  • Options
    @secretbaba no worries! Comments online and text messages are easy to misunderstand or don't come out right :)
    I wasn't worried about it

OP, good to know :) my girl isn't eating that often or grabbing for food yet so yours is probably ahead of mine in that department. Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    KD32412 said:

I plan to do homemade foods again, it was fairly easy the first time. Will start with simple rice cereal and poi, then add in okinawan sweet potatoes, green beans and butternut squash. I like to do all veggies first, saving fruits for later. We have the Beaba baby food steamer/processor, it works ok. I recently got a BlendTec, so I will be using that as our primary food processor. Already used XOXO brand for freezer storage, and random spoons and plates we've accumulated since baby #1.

Things I've learned: peas are very difficult to make, it needs to be strained to achieve a smooth consistency. Feed the same food 4 days in a row to rule out food allergies. Once baby has tried various foods, try doing blends. Different babies have different tastes/textures. DO NOT FEED BABY HONEY! (Botulism spores!!!) Other foods to avoid: peanuts, shellfish, eggs, strawberries, and chocolate. (Seriously though, it's parental choice, but most are considered high allergen foods)

Here's a great website I use, it comes with tons of info and cooking guides.
    https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/squashbabyfoodrecipes.htm

Good luck and happy prepping!

Thanks for this! I knew about the honey. We got a baby bullet so we'll be making him food as well, I'm glad to have some recipes!

• Options

We just went for a 4 month check up. My pediatrician suggested we hold off on food. My baby has grown 6 inches and gained 11 pounds. She sits up with help and drinks about 30 oz a day. May I ask what milestones your babies were reaching that made their provider give the ok? Thank you :)

My little one has gained 10 pounds and 5 inches. She has been formula fed since day one and my doctor asked how she reacts to us eating. My LO sits in her highchair and mimics chewing and eating. She was also taking 6oz of formula every two hours and that was pushing it to two hours! She wasn't getting enough and with her height he really felt her nutritional needs we falling short. He told us to try and she flourished with eating! She is eating so well and we couldn't be happier. She eats three meals a day and formula and she is happier too. It's so different for every baby. My Dr said breastfed babies typically hold off until 6 months because they are typically getting all the caloric intake without need of supplement until then.
  • Options
    richdogrichdog member
    edited July 2015
    My LO has a bit of acid reflux, and the pediatrician said starting solid foods would most likely help with this. She is on medicine for it now, but I don't like to rely too much on medicine if I can help it, so we are hoping the solid foods will help. 

• Options
    @klcarr19 that may be why. My girl is still mostly breastfed. Thanks for the info :)