Baby Names

Talk to me about the name 'Holden'

My husband's family has a tradition of every boy having the initials H.C.N, it's gone on 9 generations now with no repeats. 

We currently have 3 kiddos, 2 of which are boys. I'm 24 weeks with baby #4 and on Team Green, and we are really struggling with names. Our current sons are: Haven Carter and Hudson Conor. Our favorite pairing to go with our sibset, currently, is Holden Chandler.

Holden is one name we both keep coming back to... But I'm hung up a little. I don't want a name that ever leaves my child open for unnecessary teasing. And there aren't really any great nicknames for Holden.

What are your general thoughts on the name Holden? First impressions? Anyone out theare with a Holden of their own? Can you add anything?

H's are getting really hard. To add to the difficulty, I'm NOT a fan of any names that end in the "ee" sound..  Like Henry. I actually love a few of these "ee" sounding names...but paired with our last name (that sounds like Nun-lee) they just sound Dr. Seuss-like to me! So I threw out a bunch of those to begin with... *sigh*

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Talk to me about the name 'Holden'

• LNic5LNic5 member
    edited July 2015
    Love Holden...absolutely love Holden Chandler...omg please use it, that name is amazing!!!
  • Loveeeee it. Holden Chandler is such a handsome name! Holden is one of my top names, but I can't get my husband on board with it.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Loading the player...
  • bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited July 2015
    I dislike Holden I hear holding with an accent.

Edit I do like chandler though

• I haaaaaattttteeeee Catcher in the Rye.

Other then that Holden is okay.

Love Chandler.
  • I think Holden is nice!
  • flasflas member
    Holden is nice though I will always think of Catcher in the Rye, which I can't stand. If it's not something you're too worried about them I say use it.
  • I love the name Holden, but it is one of those like Atticus that is going to forever be associated with a literary character. As a big fan of Catcher in the Rye, I feel it would be corny for me to use the name Holden (just because it is distinctive and very notably tied to the novel and character), given my affinity for the book. If you don't care about that association, go for it. I like Chandler as well.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• I love Holden! Our boy name is Holden! We are on team green as well.
  • I think it's a nice name. I just think Hudson and Holden are a little matchy.

Have you considered Harrison?
  • i think holden is fine and goes well with your other boys. i do not see teasing associated with it.
  • I would assume you or your husband was a Catcher In the Rye fan. My cousin is named Holden (for that reason). I've never heard of any teasing related to his name. Some alternative options: Hammond, Harold, Harris, Heath, Hector, Hermann, Hollis, Horatio, Howard, Howell, Hugh, Hugo.
  • Probably just me, but I hate names like Atticus or Holden. To me it means that you haven't read a book since high school English. And maybe a little because I hated Catcher in the Rye ;)

I like PP suggestions of Heath. Also like Hank, Hugh, Hal...there are plenty of H names out there!
  • I am biased because my son's name is Holden Grey, and while my hubby loves it for Catcher in the Rye, I love it because my favorite movie in the whole world is Sabrina, and I love William Holden...so we knew right away that it was the name for us! Also I loved it BECAUSE there aren't any nicknames for it. I'm not a fan of nicknames at all. I never get weird looks for his name, I always get compliments on it. Holden was a last name long before CITR, so don't worry about that. It's been around for a long time. 

I LOVE H names, but feel they are too close to Holden for my second son, but here are some of my faves:
    -Harrison
    -Holbrook
    -Holt

• I love it. Holden Chandler is great!!!
  • I personally like holden Chandler and cannot forsee any names that would be used for teasing. Hudson conor is close second, possibly Hudson Chandler if Chandler is a MN you are set on
  • All of your names are extremely trendy so I think Holden works even though it's nms. I would be more concerned about teasing with a male Haven than Holden.
  • My son's name is Holden.
    I was very concerned with the association with The Catcher in the Rye. Yes, I read the book in High School and was not a huge fan. However, I still liked the name and it was the ONLY name my husband and I could both agreed on.
    That said, whenever someone mentions The Chatcher in the Rye I joke and say we named him after the Australian car company.
    Holden doesn't really shorten or rhyme with anything crazy. We've never had any issues with teasing or anything. We use his MN (which is short) as his NN.
    I like your FN MN combo. It's a good choice ;)
     BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Haha to clarify... My other children are ALREADY NAMED Haven Carter and Hudson Conor. They weren't our other choices for this kiddo. My Haven is 9 and never encountered any teasing for his name.

I know many may associate it with Catcher in the Rye... Although I've never read it. My biggest worry was more like "what are you holdin', Holden?" I love that other moms with Holdens chimed in. Thank you!!
  • As a former high school English teacher who has read Catcher in the Rye more times than I like to count, that wasn't actually the first thing I thought of, surprisingly. I really like the name. I do think you'll get some people who connect it to the book but who cares? If you like it, you like it. My DH and I are considering multiple names that are based on literature we read over the years (many from high school) -- not because we haven't read a book since high school but because some of the books they have you read in high school actually are fantastic and works of art and have GREAT name choices. I'll get off my high horse now.

All that being said, I think your name choice is fantastic. I don't think there will be any teasing and if "holdin', Holden" is the worst teasing that can come from the name, I think you have nothing to worry about.