Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Ectopic- Emergency Surgery :(

Unfortunately, it has been a whirlwind few days for me. I posted on this board last week about getting the sad news from my doctor about my betas not rising. For those of you that don't know my story, 3 weeks ago my husband and I found out we were expecting. I just didn't feel right, and had some spotting and cramping that would come and go. After numerous blood draws, we learned last week that the pregnancy was not viable, and I was told to wait to miscarry. I have a history of miscarriage, so I knew what to expect. I was concerned that the spotting continued, but never progressed, and my betas continued to rise but by less than 100 points in over 48 hours. I was highly concerned of ectopic, and more so when the ultrasound did not show anything in my uterus and my betas were over 1000. For many days, I felt that my ob-gyn office was putting me off when I would call with concerns, and I am so mad that I ended up in this situation. Friday afternoon, I developed horrible pain in my back and abdomen, much worse than labor pains. I knew something was terribly wrong, so I rang my doc again who told me to come to L&D triage asap. I knew I was in real trouble, but somehow managed to drive myself to the hospital from work. Once I arrived, I collapsed in the parking lot and crawled into L&D waiting room. I was rushed back to an exam room. We learned shortly later that I had an ectopic pregnancy and would need emergency surgery. I was terrified, I just wanted to be okay, I have a two year old to be here for and I literally felt like I was dying. During the surgery they discovered that my tube had ruptured and I was hemorrhaging heavily into my abdominal cavity. I ended up losing my left tube and needed extensive surgery to clear our the blood and stop the bleeding. I am alive, and the emotional and physical pain will eventually subside. I was admitted throughout the weekend and came home yesterday. I am just wondering about the physical recovery. I am still in pretty severe pain, especially when I stand up. The pain is only on the side where the larger incision is, and the tube was removed. I literally feel like I am being ripped apart from the inside, and intense burning sensation. Again, this pain only comes on when I stand up. For those of you that had this, what was your recovery like? I am only 3 days post op. Thanks for reading. I am glad I have this board to vent to.

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

Re: Ectopic- Emergency Surgery :(

• Options
    I am so sorry about both your losses (baby & tube). I am enraged about how your OB handled you. I can relate to the PTS from knowing if you didn't get to an ER you would've died. That's been the hardest part for me emotionally.

It sounds like you could really use some better pain management or do things like set alarms to stay dosed ahead of the pain. It also sounds like you'll need a family member/support person/church volunteer/nanny for at least a week to let you recover and watch your other LO for you.
  • Options
    Las135Las135 member
    I am so sorry about both your losses (baby & tube). I am enraged about how your OB handled you. I can relate to the PTS from knowing if you didn't get to an ER you would've died. That's been the hardest part for me emotionally. It sounds like you could really use some better pain management or do things like set alarms to stay dosed ahead of the pain. It also sounds like you'll need a family member/support person/church volunteer/nanny for at least a week to let you recover and watch your other LO for you.

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely be finding another OB-GYN. I think the pain management thing is partially my fault, as I hate taking narcotics because of the way they make me feel. I am currently on Motrin and oxycodone, but try to take the oxy only at night. I feel a little better today, one day at a time I guess.

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Woah. I had emergency ectopic surgery and lost my left tube overnight on Saturday. Unfortunately, when I had the ultrasound that night was when I found out my baby wasn't going to make it and that I was bleeding internally and needed immediate surgery. It still seems like I dreamed it and it didn't happen, it all was so shocking and happened so fast.

I can tell you, I've just been taking my medication exactly when I can and have been very careful with movement. My husband has to pick me up and lay me down in bed (which sucks because I'm getting up to use the bathroom more often. Stupid lingering hormones). Sitting is easier to get up from. I too mostly feel my bigger incision.

I'll keep you updated if I discover anything that is an amazing help and will keep following this thread. I've been drinking tons of water. Today I just feel kind of woozy and off. The hospital gave me a white elastic girdle type of thing that is incredibly comforting because it has light compression and doesn't make me feel like I'm going to bust a suture when I move. Best wishes on your recovery - I'll be thinking about you!
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your situation. This is my first time sharing with anyone on this site. I had been trying to conceive for many years and decided to go back for fertility treatments. During my first month I miraculously got pregnant naturally. My husband and I were over the moon with excitement. We thought this day would never happen. Everything seemed to be fine then I had some spotting and of course was concerned. At 6 and half weeks they did a ultrasound and my doctor sent me in for emergency surgery. I lost my right tube and have now come to find out my left tube is blocked.
    We are now facing the beginning of ivf treatments because we have run out of options.
    My heart goes out to all you ladies who have experienced loss and/or fertility issues. It is one long and bumpy road and emotionally draining at times.
  • Options
    I'm sorry for everyone's losses. OP I don't mean to pry but can I ask a few questions. I should have been 7w when we did our us but the doctor saw nothing sent me for a draw my HCG was 824. 2 days later my HCG is 770. The doctor keeps talking about ectopic. I've been spotting for 6 days and now it's transitioned to being a little heavier/more consistent. But my question is what did you know to be the difference between normal miscarriage cramping/pain to OMG this is an emergency?! I'm creaking out over all the muscle pain in my shoulders from stress and my back is achey as ever but I don't want to rush to the ER if this is normal for a MC. I'm avoiding the hospital for my own sanity at all costs. But I'm terrified of down playing something that results in hemorrhage. I have a beautiful daughter who will be 3 in January and I need to be here for her. Any advice suggestions anything would be very much appreciated.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1: 04/27/12 ~ Amelia Elizabeth born @ 41w0d on 01/08/13
    BFP #2: 08/28/15 ~ MC 9/21/15 I'll always hold you in my heart little one
    BFP#3: 12/09/15 ~ MC 12/18/15 <3 mommies second angel
    BFP#4: 03/28/16 ~ Beta #1 10dpo: 22, Beta #2 12dpo: 102, Beta #3 14dpo:  276.  US a 27dpo: GS sac and precious baby measuring 5w5d. US at 6w3d: HB @ 108 bpm.   EDD: 12/09/16   GROW BABY GROW! Mommy & Daddy & Big Sister love YOU so much! <3
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss and angry at your ob. Glad your finding a new one!
  • Options
    I was almost 8 weeks along had spotting and cramping and went to my first prenatal appointment and found out I had an ectopic pregnancy, this was on Tuesday. I ended up having an emergency surgery where they removed one of my fallopian tubes. I grieved that day but have been so focused on my health and bed rest the past week that today was the only other day I grieved. Any support would be appreciated. @Las135, I am on day 5 of recovery and the pain will subside. @karenjkruger, mine went so fast as well, so many emotions in one day. @kremer I would go to the doctor and get checked out, ectopic can be very dangerous to your health, it is best to be safe then to put yourself in danger. 
  • Options
    @Eliza&amp;James big hugs mama!!!! Make sure you make time for some serious self care and love!!!  I've been to the doctors and they are monitoring my hcG levels.  But I've been told to watch for signs of rupture at home.  At this point nothing seems to terrible that I feel like I need to go into an ER.  The cramping and back pain is uncomfortable, but in a way, maybe it's pride maybe not, but I don't want to dull or numb the pain with any medication.  I want to own this just like I would have owned this LO's delivery.  But the discomfort is a constant reminder of what is happening.  Lots of love for all of you mama's.   xoxo

BFP #1: 04/27/12 ~ Amelia Elizabeth born @ 41w0d on 01/08/13
    BFP #2: 08/28/15 ~ MC 9/21/15 I'll always hold you in my heart little one
    BFP#3: 12/09/15 ~ MC 12/18/15 <3 mommies second angel
    BFP#4: 03/28/16 ~ Beta #1 10dpo: 22, Beta #2 12dpo: 102, Beta #3 14dpo:  276.  US a 27dpo: GS sac and precious baby measuring 5w5d. US at 6w3d: HB @ 108 bpm.   EDD: 12/09/16   GROW BABY GROW! Mommy & Daddy & Big Sister love YOU so much! <3
  • Options
    Hi all,

I guess I'll join the party.  DH and I were so excited to get our first BFP in early September.  At what should have been 5 weeks along, I started having dark brown spotting.  I called my doctor and they sent me for an hcg that was low.  At the recheck 2 days later, it had dropped, but not by much.  My dr told us to expect a miscarriage but also be aware that it wasn't dropping enough so it might be ectopic.  I started bleeding over the weekend and thought the miscarriage had started.  We went for an ultrasound and they saw nothing.  However, at my next hcg redraw, my number tripled.  Then the next draw it had gone up again.  They were pretty convinced it was ectopic at that point.  They thought it could be a pregnancy that was earlier than we thought, but there was no way my dates were off since I was temping and charting and had gotten a positive pregnancy test at 13 dpo.  I was supposed to go in for a repeat ultrasound and a uterine biopsy to determine if the pregnancy was ectopic but I didn't make it to the appointment because I started having abdominal pain in the lower left side of my abdomen.  It got worse over an hour and radiated to my back.  I went straight to the ER as instructed and they found the pregnancy sac in my left fallopian tube.  It was small (~1cm) and my hcg was low (600) so they determined I was a candidate for methotrexate to try to dissolve the pregnancy.  My only other option at that point was surgery, during which they would remove my tube.  They did not think that watchful waiting was a good option anymore because my hcgs were rising which suggested that the embryo was growing.  So I go the methotrexate 4 days ago.  I had some increased bleeding the day after, with ongoing pain that improved somewhat with tylenol.  I go back today, and then in 3 days, to make sure my hcg is falling.  They basically told me I'm not out of the woods in terms of possible tube rupture until my hcg hits zero.  We're also not allowed to try again for 3 months because of the risks of the methotrexate.  I'm trying to be thankful that so far that it was caught early and I have both of my tubes but it's hard.  We really wanted this baby.  Emotionally this has been a whirlwind of repeated bad news every time I get a lab draw or a phone call from my doctor.  I'm sad and I don't have a lot of energy to devote to anything else.  I'm dreading the holidays, which is when we thought we'd be telling our family about our news.  DH is trying to be supportive but I can tell that he is more ready to move past it than I am (it's hard to move past it when you're still having physical pain as a reminder, and you have to keep going into the hospital to get labs drawn).  

Thanks for letting me vent.