Multiples

How many were placed on bed rest with Twins?

Wondering if most went on bed rest or not...also how many weeks before the babies were born were you placed on bed rest? I am wondering what the main reasons are for bed rest. I am only 19 weeks and feel pretty good. I just have no clue what to expect...FTM here.

Re: How many were placed on bed rest with Twins?

• I am 35 weeks and was put on pelvic rest at 26 weeks because of a short cervix (1.6cm). I still go to work, sitting 85% of the day with 20 lb. weight restriction. Keep doing what feels comfortable and don't worry about the what ifs.
  • rue:Drue:D member
    Almost 26w and no restrictions thus far.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll be 25 weeks tomorrow & am still chugging along, working my 3-12 hour shifts as an RN!
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • MrsBwIVFMrsBwIVF member
    edited July 2015
    We asked our OB at our 12w appt what they normally do or have happen. She said as long as you're a fairly healthy person with a healthy pregnancy, they don't foresee any need for bedress and they rarely have twin moms on it.
  • I had severe preeclampsia and was in & out of the hospital from 28 weeks on, became a full time resident there at 31 weeks and delivered at 34 weeks. I also had a shortened cervix they noticed at 31 weeks. I was never put on bed rest until I actually was hospitalized. They just told me to "take it easy." Had I been put on bed rest, I don't think the outcome would've been any different. From talking to many, many doctors, I get the impression that bed rest isn't really as common as it once was as the stress of being confined to one's bed has been shown to outweigh the benefits in a lot of cases. Two exceptions I know of are shortened cervixes and water breaking early - most cases of these end up in bed or at least pelvic rest, I believe.
  • I was put on modified bed rest at 34 weeks because I developed gestational hypertension and we were trying to avoid preeclampsia. My boys were born at 37 weeks.
  • Modified bed rest at 20 weeks after two episodes of bleeding related to placenta previa. Had that not happened OB had already told me that she would put me out of work at 28 weeks. I was able to work from home and chose to do so through 32 weeks.
    Me: 35 DH: 35 - Married 10 years
    PCOS and MF

Two failed rounds IUI in 2010
    IVF #1 in 2011 - BFP 8/5/11 - Our IVF miracle was born 4/8/12
    FET 9/23/13; BFP -Twins-10/3/13; EDD 6/10/14; MC 11/1/13; D&C 11/4/13
    FET 3/28/14; BFN - 4/7/14
    IVF #2 - Transfer 2 embryos 11/14/14; BFP 11/24/14 - Beta 265;
    11/26/14 - Beta 612; 11/28/14 - Beta 1263; 12/1/14 - Beta 3571;
    12/3/14 - first u/s - two gestational sacs; 12/17/14 - two healthy heartbeats (132 and 134)
    Our IVF miracles were born 7/16/15

• No bed rest for me and delivered at 38+1 weeks! I stopped working at 32 weeks because I was tired of being on my feet all day and just stayed home but I wasn't restricting myself to the bed. I would get out and about once a day. Even walked around the mall for an hour at 38 weeks to try and get things started but nope!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks to everyone! These are great and encouraging stories.
  • I should add that I plan to go on "light duty" (I.e. desk duty rather than work the floor) around my 28 week appt. My back and hips are way too sore after 12 hr shifts on my feet. My OB said he'd write me out at any time but I'm not quite ready.
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • Bedrest is actually not recommended as often as you might think because they are showing negative side effects with it like loss of muscle and blood clots. My MIL was an OB 30 years ago and insisted I go on it because of a shortened cervix but I listened to my OB and MFM doc and both said it wasn't necessary. I have been on pelvic floor rest (no sex or orgasms) since 25 weeks and I'm not supposed to lift anything heavy. Now 33 weeks and just trying to keep me feet up as much as possible due to swelling. Best of luck!
  • I'm right at 28 weeks and no problems so far!!! My doctor recommended discontinuing work at 32 weeks as I am on my feet all day as opposed to at a desk.
  • No bed rest but I delivered at 33.5 weeks!
  • CinciSurroCinciSurro member
    edited July 2015
    I went to the dr. with 3min contractions that were getting more painful instead of easing up and was 3cm there, she sent me to the hospital (hour drive by myself!) where contractions were 1min apart and I was dilated to 5cm so they admitted me for steroids and magnesium sulfate.

Then everything stalled completely so I was moved to special care unit on bedrest until I delivered them 4 weeks later when real labor started again and I progressed to 7cm on my own.  Got epidural + a whiff of pitocin, and I was complete.  Delivered vaginally 6 minutes apart on two different days ;)

I had low blood pressure throughout, I have a 2yr old at home, and I was working still the day I went into the hospital, so I think I may have just been overdoing it.  Take it easy after 30 weeks no matter how good you feel ;)
    Mommy to 5, 1st time Gestational Carrier
    Transfers #1-4  2013/2014 all same DE, all CP
    Transfer #5 11/16/14, new DE, transferred two fresh 5-day blasts
    Beta  9dp5dt - 296     Beta 15dp5dt - 6,596!     TWINS!! due 8/4/15
    Admitted to hospital for preterm labor and 5cm dilated at 32 + 6
    Delivered healthy baby girls vaginally at 36 + 4
    Baby A 6lb10oz born at 11:58pm
    Baby B 6lb11oz born at 12:04am
    (different birthdays!)
  • I'm 32 weeks with my twins and my doctor has made no mention of bedrest for me! The further you get, the less you will probably do anyway!

As long as you don't have any complications, you should be fine!
  • I was put on bedrest at 31 weeks, because I went into preterm labor. They were able to stop it, but I had to stay on bedrest for the rest of the pregnancy.
    The first week is the hardest, then you kind of get used to it. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • 35 weeks and 3 days and no bed rest yet. I did have some pre term labor last Saturday at 34 weeks 4 days, but they were able to stop it in L&D. I have been laying very low and not going anywhere but my OB appointment this week. You are just gonna have to listen to your body and not push it. I stopped work at 29.5 weeks because I work on my feet at the hospital. Twins does not equal bedrest for sure. You can do it mama!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • 34 weeks and still working 40 hours a week with no problems or restrictions. I'll admit bed rest is sounding nicer and nicer everyday
  • I was feeling fine and working still till 31w3d when baby As water ruptured. I was working as a waitress, so on my feet for several hours at a time. So I was put on hospital bedrest until I delivered. They wanted me to keep the babies in till 35wks as long as there was no signs of infection or the babies weren't in distress

I ended up going into labor and had a c section at 32 weeks exactly. My babies were on room air from the beginning and did great in the NICU.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • I went into preterm labor at 33 weeks with my first set...it was very unexpected. I delivered at 36 weeks, just 2 days after being reeased from bedrest. 
    Fraternal twin boys born 1/12/12 at 36 weeks
    Identical twin girls expected in March! 
  • I went on bedrest at 21.5 weeks. I also had previous surgery on my cervix so it was likely due to that (I had a shortened cervix) as I don't want it scare you! However the bright light is that bedrest spared me 16 weeks more of pregnancy and allowed me to go until my water broke at 37.5 weeks when we had our boys! No NICU time :) it's hard but worth it!
  • I wasn't necessarily put on bedrest but my doctor had me to leave work at 34 weeks and take it easy. At that point all I could do was lay in bed and get to my doctor appointments anyway. I delivered at 36 weeks via planned c section due to increasing blood pressure and fluid retention, otherwise I feel the boys would have stayed in there as long as we allowed them to because they always had great checkups it was me who was falling apart in the end!
  • I've not been put on bed rest (yet), but my OB did cut my work days from 8 hours to 4.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm 27 weeks with di/di twins, and I'm still working full time as a teacher. My MFM told me they do not do bedrest unless it is absolutely necessary, because most of the time the mom becomes more depressed and stressed being alone all day - and if they do put you on bedrest, it's usually in the hospital. One of the OBs at my practice (the first time I saw her) tried to get me to go out of work at 25 weeks because "it just becomes too put for twin moms to work past that." After discussion with my MFM doctors, I decided I plan to work until 35 weeks unless medically needed to stop, and I'm basically just taking those last two weeks before delivery off because it will be end of the year craziness at school and I know I'll have some final things to get done before the girls get here at home!
    Expecting di/di twin girls - 6/21/2016
  • I'm 27 weeks with di/di twins, and I'm still working full time as a teacher. My MFM told me they do not do bedrest unless it is absolutely necessary, because most of the time the mom becomes more depressed and stressed being alone all day - and if they do put you on bedrest, it's usually in the hospital. One of the OBs at my practice (the first time I saw her) tried to get me to go out of work at 25 weeks because "it just becomes too put for twin moms to work past that." After discussion with my MFM doctors, I decided I plan to work until 35 weeks unless medically needed to stop, and I'm basically just taking those last two weeks before delivery off because it will be end of the year craziness at school and I know I'll have some final things to get done before the girls get here at home!
    I'm 24 weeks with di/di twins and a job where I'm on my feet.  I'm already starting to feel more tired at the end of the day.  But I'm glad you posted because my dr said the same thing and so I'm trying to work as long as I possibly can before delivery.

Me: 32, DH: 38
    Married 1/14/12
    NTNP Since 12/13, TTC Since 1/15
    BFP: 11/4/15  Found out we were having TWINS 12/9/15 EDD: 7/11/16 Born: 6/29/16
    Team Blue x2!!

cartoon disney funny haters pixar

• I have identical twin boys. My water broke the day after my baby shower @ 30wks 1day! They were able to stop my labor with magnesium & i was on bed rest for almost a month in the hospital. I was going to be induced @ 34wks because when your water breaks thats the furthest they'll let you go. I went into labor again on my own @33 wks 5day. 2 days shy of the 34 wks. My boys were 4lbs 4.5oz & 3lbs 12oz. Im a SAHM & i was in good spirits felt good & my water still broke 10 weeks early. Were all different i 
    Honestly thought id make it to 37 weeks.

I noticed this post was from last year. Hope every everything went good for u!
  • @calico34 Good job! Most people think with twins you have to quit working early. My di/di twin girls are just shy of 10 months old. I said under no circumstances, except medical, would I quit working early. I worked 40 hours a week, on my feet the entire time. It was exhausting, but I wouldn't change it. My c-section was planned at 38w2d. My last day working was at 37w6d. I wanted 2 days before delivery to spend one on one time with my now 3.5 year old son before we were thrown into caos. My doctor said I was the picture perfect twin pregnancy. Since I was so active, I only gained 11 pounds my whole pregnancy. My girls were born at 38w2d weighing in at 7 lbs 6 oz and 6 lbs 13 oz. Listen to your doctor and your body, nobody else! 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @DolphinLover2002 Thank you!!! This motivates me so much!!!

Me: 32, DH: 38
    Married 1/14/12
    NTNP Since 12/13, TTC Since 1/15
    BFP: 11/4/15  Found out we were having TWINS 12/9/15 EDD: 7/11/16 Born: 6/29/16
    Team Blue x2!!

cartoon disney funny haters pixar

• I worked until the day I delivered (35w6d). Also happened to be New Year's Eve ;-)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @vibarra27 everything went great...i made it to 39 weeks with no issues....my boys were 7lb 13oz and 6lbs...they are 4 months old now!!
  • I went on hospital bed rest at 26 weeks with a short cervix and irritable uterus. Went home two weeks later on strict bed rest with a cocktail of drugs to keep my uterus calm. The girls were born at 32+3...but I think it was due to a great deal of unavoidable massive stress for the last two weeks rather then the cervix and uterus. Don't worry too much about it. A lot of women never have to go on bed rest with multiples!
  • @GoodSuri awh! Im so glad you made it!