March 2015 Moms
Options

4 Month wakeful period?!?!?

i know it's originally called 4 month sleep regression and yes it exists. Funny... The day my son turned 4 months is when it started. He used to sleep 6-7 hours straight and now he wakes up every 1.5-2 hours! Sometimes just t say hi, or request a pacifier, or just to wimper a bit...Any one else going through this? Any tips on how to survive it is what I should be asking...

Re: 4 Month wakeful period?!?!?

• Options
    Definitely exists - check out the other thread on this topic as many people have shared their experiences there...
  • Options
    My baby is opposite I guess her wakeful period was more 3 months because she only slept 4 hours at a time. Now I literally have to wake her up to change her and feed then she goes back down for a few hours
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine too! Right at 4 months he went from sleeping thru the night since 9 weeks old to getting up 2-3 times a night! I'm hoping it is just a growth spurt tho because he also wants to eat every 3 hours on the dot! He's also having massive melt downs now too if he's hungry or tired. Any advice on getting thru this period would be great!
  • Options
    Same here. He's much fussier than normal, and I can't catch on to his schedule if I tried. Every third night or so he'll sleep through the night. Then he wakes up 2 to 3 times a night for the next few days. We keep thinking "oh that big bottle before bed must have been the answer" or "it must have been the bath that relaxed him more"...then we try the same thing again and get totally different results. Fun times :-<
  • Options
    My daughter woke up 2-3 times a night before hitting the four month mark starting yesterday and now every 2 hours or less she's been waking up
  • Options
    Mybaby girl on saturday turned 4 months and on Monday she started waking up like 2 times at night. previously she was sleeping from 8:30 pm to 6 or 7 am straight.
  • Options
    gdamore11 said:

Same here. He's much fussier than normal, and I can't catch on to his schedule if I tried. Every third night or so he'll sleep through the night. Then he wakes up 2 to 3 times a night for the next few days. We keep thinking "oh that big bottle before bed must have been the answer" or "it must have been the bath that relaxed him more"...then we try the same thing again and get totally different results. Fun times :-<

Are you me? This is exactly my baby and my thought process!
  • Options
    gdamore11gdamore11 member
    edited July 2015
    @NLB2009 lol well at least we know we're not crazy!
  • Options
    NLB2009 said:

gdamore11 said:

Are you me? This is exactly my baby and my thought process!
    Haha! This is also me and my SO. We are both engineers so we analyze everything looking for a pattern. Yeah, babies don't care about logic!

• Options
    My LO will be four months next Thursday. Then we leave to go camping for a few days. So, while she's sleeping fine now and being all cheerful and great, I'm anticipating a very strange trip. Combine new and different environment with four month sleep regression, and I'll likely have a very cranky baby girl!
  • Options
    sj3019sj3019 member
    My son just started doing it 2 nights ago. He'll be 4 months on Sunday. He use to sleep 6-7hrs straight as well & now he's walking up every 2-3hours
  • Options
    Baby Merlin Magic sleep suit. Best $40 I have ever spent. My little guy (4 months and 1 week) has never been a great sleeper, but would give us 4-5 hours, eat and then sleep another 1-3 hours. Until sleep regression hit about 2.5 weeks ago and then he was taking 2-3 hours to put down and waking up every 2 hours! He also started rolling over and I wasn't comfortable swaddling him anymore. For 5 nights we were trying to transition him out of swaddle and it was getting worse every night, he simply isn't ready.

In searching for a swaddle transition product I came across the sleep suit with rave reviews. Out of desperation I ordered sleep suit (thank you Amazon prime for FREE same day delivery!) and we tried it last night. He slept 9 straight hours!! Incredible...it is at least worth a try!!

Good luck ladies!
  • Options
    How long does it last i was getting use to my sleep again
  • Options
    My LO will sleep from 9:30pm - 6am, 17 weeks old! I refuse to wake her for a feed. She will have double her usual amount of her feed then sleep again until 9am/10am. I'm waiting for this 4 month regression period to kick in (if I'm unlucky enough for it to actually kick in) any time soon! But I love my sleep too much! I tend to sleep for as long as my DD will sleep, as she will probably only have 1 hour nap in the day but I'm hoping it stays this way. Lack of sleep is horrid knowing you have to look after LO all day and get the housework done etc! My partner hints to me about dropping sleeping tablets in her bottle :)) (being a man, he doesn't actually know anything ;)
  • Options
    My son decided to start this sleep regression this week while on vacation. I Am a crabby person when I don't get sleep and he is pushing it. Luckily, my husband can tell and is helping out. How long does this last?? He wakes every 1-2 hours and won't nap longer than 20-40 minutes. Help!!!!!
  • Options
    You guys!!!!!!! I found a solution! My sons chiropractor recommended an amber necklace. I was skeptical. Verrrry skeptical. But the night I put that thing on he slept 7 hours and has been every night since! Some moms say it doesn't work but the thing is that different babies need different kinds of Amber. My son uses the dark. Some need medium or light. Definitely recommend this to anyone and everyone! The body heats up the Amber and it's as as an anti-inflammatory. It's helped with sleeping, drooling, fussiness, and teething. Good luck!
  • Options
    Mummy0315Mummy0315 member
    edited August 2015
    @sarimuraweh Do you put the necklace on him at night or do you just leave it on him 24/7? How do we know which kind of Amber to use? Where did you purchase yours from? Did your sons chiropractor recommend this due to other issues that may have interrupted his sleep at night? And that may have been the reason why he was not sleeping? If my son would sleep 7 hours straight I'm willing to try anything!! ... Well almost anything Lol I forgot what a full nights rest felt like! My son will only sleep for 5 hours straight and that's once in a blue moon! :!! I-)
  • Options
    @Mummy0315 The chiropractor says it's safe for sleeping but that freaks me out and because it could take up to 4 hours to start working once the necklace is on, I want it on 24/7. What I do at night is wrap it around his ankle then put socks on him or footie pjs. That still works for me! The chiropractor had recommended it when my son was 3 months old because he was teething already. But someone stole it OFF MY CHILD at the gym daycare. I know!! So he had run out of the dark Amber and once he got more I asked for it. I meant for it to help with teething but once Zayn starting sleeping like that I knew the necklace helped :) I would buy one of each and return whichever one doesn't seem to work. That will be less costly. That way you don't have to pay for the exam and chiropractor visit for an exam lol. My son did have other issues so that's why we were seeing him. Try a baby chiropractor that specializes in the KST method. They can usually help which necklace if you want to go that route. Keep in mind they're kind of new age medicine peeps so it's normal if you feel skeptical haha :) but it works!
  • Options
    There are many retailers that sell FAKE amber teething necklaces! Be careful who you buy from, if it sounds like a bargain it might be a fake.
  • Options
    @KD32412 I heard this too! I paid 22 dollars for mine... Not a bargain if you ask me..
  • Options
    Mummy0315Mummy0315 member
    edited August 2015
    Thank you!! We will have to look into it and try it out! A friend of mine, all three of her kids have them and she's had them on each one since they were a couple months old. They're now 4yrs,2yrs,and 9months old. On theirs, each Amber bead is strung on and knotted individually that made me feel a bit more comfortable with the whole idea of putting a necklace on him. They also wear theirs 24-7 and I've never seen the 9 month old fuss with it either.
    Side comment-I cannot believe someone stole your child's necklace at the gym! Who steals from a child let alone a 4month old baby!