January 2016 Moms

Self tanners and sun tanning?

I love my pale skin in the winter, but I also love having a tan in the summer. Now that I'm pregnant, I'm wondering if it's safe to use self tanners on my body due to the chemicals involved in changing the colour of my skin? Does it get into your blood stream or am I being too crazy? Also wondering if tanning outside in the natural sun is okay for my belly? I wouldn't tan in a salon though.

Re: Self tanners and sun tanning?

• No idea on the self tanners, but the sun gets a bad rap nowadays! The sun is good for you! Go soak up that vitamin D! Just remember your skin is thinner and more sensitive (especially on your belly) so you should probably either use a higher SPF than usual or lay out for a bit less time, or both.
  • failuretoflyfailuretofly member
    edited July 2015
    I did some reading on this and the only main concerns I could find were worry of sun stroke from overheating and typical sun exposure worries (melanoma/cancer etc) so as long as you take appropriate precautions and keep hydrated I think getting some sun should be fine for babe.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I asked my midwife the same question and she told me sunless tanner is fine just no spray tan due to the chemicals you could inhale. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't tan outside. Skin cancer has risen at an alarming rate. You only need about 15-20 min outside for Vitamin D. And honestly, you should probably be taking a supplement because most people are deficient.

Back on topic...sunless tanners are fine. There was a thread on here a month or so ago where I posted resources showing it's fine, but I'm mobile and too lazy to link again. Basically what PP said. If you can't hold your breath and not inhale the spray tans, then go with a lotion.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• I had been wondering the same thing. I love being outside and getting a good tan, and use a lotion in the winter. However a few extra freckles last year made me a little cautious. I'm still going outside but using spf 30, and going to a pool where I can swim to cool down and exercise, bring extra water, and have access to shade. I find I'm getting overheated much more easily now that I'm pregnant.
    I've researched the self tanning lotion and the amount of the main chemical DHA (I think that's the name..though that's also one of the prenatal vitamins I take haha) is pretty negligible and stays surface level. Many sources have said it's safe, but one source did mention that it hasn't fully been tested enough to rule as safe or unsafe, since some of these gradual tan lotions haven't been around long, and there haven't been a lot of pregnant women willing to test them yet. If my doctor clears me to use them I'll be sticking with one of those gradual tanners as opposed to a straight up self tanner, for fewer chemicals.

My method is to get some sunshine- safely, and talk to your doctor about using a gradual tanning moisturizer in the 2nd trimester.
  • Thanks so much guys, so helpful!
  • mg137mg137 member
    Check the ingredients in your self tanner. You want to avoid all the nasties like phthalates (in the states, almost everything with fragrance or parfum on the label has them)

As others have said, the sun is good for you and the baby. 20 minutes a day in direct sun on large areas of your skin is great for vitamin d.
  • I've seen too many of my patients with stage 4 melanomas in their early 30s who have kids and the docs have no other treatment options besides Hospice to let myself do any more sun bathing. So I'm embracing my pasty skin, and wearing 70spf whenever I'm outside for more than just casual errands. Hope it's not too harsh of an answer but I've seen it way often lately that it gave me a harsh reality check
  • Crazy! @kwentela I'm definitely going to be staying away from prolonged sun exposure. I really want to do wants best for both baby and I. Self tanners it is!
  • I called the nurse line a few weeks ago to talk about spray tans- she said that it depends on the ventilation and all that because there's no way you hold your breath for an entire airbrush tan and to not risk it at the very least during the first trimester. I know a place that does "organic" airbrush tans (whatever that means) and plan on asking the doc before I go get one for a friends wedding in September. Hoping it's ok- I never can seem to get that lotion tan right on myself!
  • @emililyha and honestly lotions can get expensive haha. That's why I wanted to sun tan