Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Is it normal to be in so much pain?

Hello,
I started spotting this time last week (Sunday) and then on Tuesday fresh blood. I went to the hospital, they tested my urine and had a UTI. They booked me in for a scan the following morning. I went for the scan and there was no heartbeat.
I have been bleeding heavily since Thursday.
I am in a lot of pain. I have passed the baby and lots of other strange looking clots.
Is this pain normal?

Re: Is it normal to be in so much pain?

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss!
    Yes it's normal. After passing baby your uterus has to shrink back to normal size, this may be more painful for some women than others and how long it takes varies, I had intense cramping for about a week after passing the baby. Ibuprofen was my best friend for the first 1.5 - 2 weeks after my MC.
  • Options
    Thank you so much. I'm sorry for yours too. X
    It's so unbearable isn't it. Seems worse at night too :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    vallericvalleric member
    edited July 2015
    I was in the most pain for the first 2 days after mc then it tapered off.
    I used a heating pad and that helped.
  • Options
    Ok thank you. Will try that.
  • Options
    Still in so much pain. It comes and goes. I passed the placenta today and am still bleeding heavily. Now taking stronger painkillers. This is my 8th day of bleeding but 4th day of heavy bleeding and cramping. Advice and support desperately needed x
  • Options
    Were you able to get the stronger painkillers prescribed by a doctor? Are they doing a follow up u/s to make sure everything has passed?

I would call your OBGYN or family doctor and see if there is anything more they can do for you. Sometimes you can request a D&C, but I'm not sure what their criteria are since you say you think you've passed both baby and placenta.
  • Options
    Hi @Lizzie5831 I went to hospital in the end. They did an internal examination of my cervix to see if there was a clot lodged and then an internal scan. The pregnancy tissue is still there so I have no idea what I have passed. They've given me stronger pain relief and touch wood, I feel better.
    In on Wednesday for a D&C x x x
  • Options
    I'm glad you finally got some decent pain relief, an ultrasound, and that you'll get a D&C.

If given a choice, I'd go for the D&C every time. I've had one in 2003 and another very recently. Recovery for you should be quick; maybe send SO or a family member out for some OTC iron supplements. From how you describe your blood loss over the past few days, you may at least want them on hand. Though do ask your doc before starting.
  • Options
    Thank you chick. Thanks for sharing your experience. Take care x x x