Trouble TTC
Options

First round of Clomid

Saw an RE and she recommend I start Clomid suing my next cycle. I don't know much can about it and am a bit concerned about the side effects. How have your experiences been with it?

Re: First round of Clomid

• Options
    Aera11Aera11 member
    I just finished my first round of clomid last week & so far no obvious effects. I broke out a little in my faces little (I've never had any acne) and it's probably from all the hormones in the provera & clomid. Good luck ☺️
  • Options
    Thanks. I don't have acne either and I read somewhere a side effect could be acne and weight gain. I'll keep you updated.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been ttc naturally since September 2014. Was recently diagnosed with PCOS. We've decided to give medication a try. I will be trying Clomid for the first time this week. Anxious to see what happens!
  • Options
    I'm currently in my second round of clomid. I take it at night before bed. The first day (both times) I had a bad headache then it went away by day 2. I gained about 7 pounds last cycle;( and felt bloated all the time. My acne which I always have got worse as well. I have a few hot flashes at night. Other than that the side effects really aren't that bad.....except for the weight gain!
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    I just finish my first round the worst symptoms were the headaches and mood swings and during ovulation I have mild to moderate cramping but everyones different so FX for you that it goes smoothly :)
    Married 03.30.12
    TTC Since September 2011

Me: 27  DH: 28, 
    Dx: PCOS/Block right Fallopian tube
    Treatment: clomid.

• Options
    The side effects are really starting to scare me. I've also looked into vitex to try before starting clomid. Has anyone tried that?
  • Options
    Would Femara/Letrozole be an option? I know that it scares some people, but it seems that people typically experience fewer side effects. I was doing totally fine with it. Never took Clomid though (but a friend who took it was like a menopausing emotional/sweaty mess...but she does have two beautiful girls now).
  • Options
    I'm on my second cycle of clomid. The first time was 50mg - the side effects were hot flashes, emotional & I gained 6 lbs even though I was super careful with what I ate and I made sure to stay active, but I didn't ovulate. Today I'm on day 3 of my second cycle of clomid but my dr changed me to 100mg this time in hopes it will wake up my ovaries. To me personally the side effects will be totally worth it if the end result equals a baby
  • Options
    jnissajnissa member
    I'm not trying to be confrontational, this is legitimate curiosity to help us help you. What about the side effects exactly scares you? Is it experiencing them at all? Is it long term impact (like possible uterine lining issues)? If you can be more specific about what scares you, we can probably give you some more accurate feedback.
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Options
    wbirdwbird member
    Unfortunately, I took poorly to clomid (overstimulation) and I was just in pain for the month. HOWEVER, Clomid is usually what it prescribed first. All the side effects weren't so bad that I wouldn't have tried it again. We moved to Femara, which was slightly better for me, and now Menopur.  BUT Clomid could work for you.... all in all, everybody's different.
  • Options
    @jnissa I think I'm afraid to experience all of them. Yes IF it works then it would be worth it. But experiencing hot flashes, weight gain, etc. just freaks me out. I'm sure it doesn't help that I've had friends that haven't had a pleasant experience.
  • Options
    jnissajnissa member
    Well, those are all things you're going to experience when you get pregnant anyway :) Some women experience those side effects on birth control, even.

Honestly, I don't think anybody here would tell you that the side effects of any fertility drugs are pleasant, but they're manageable. You're adjusting your body's hormones, that's bound to adjust your body. Just take a deep breathe and remember that it's a limited time. 

You're the captain of your ship. If you feel comfortable taking time to do the herbal/holistic route first, by all means do and then if it doesn't work come back and revisit the meds. It's all about how aggressive you want to be.  But try not to amp up the fear of the side effects too badly in your head. It will make them seem even worse than they are!

The end result of this process is labor (lol) - and let me tell you, it will make you forget you ever had a drug side effect :) 
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Options
    Thanks everyone! @jnissa,
  • Options
    paisleybrownpaisleybrown member
    edited July 2015
    I just finished my 3rd round last week. I started at 100mg (or 50, I can't recall), then to 150 and this last round was 200mg. The first round, I had flu like symptoms (headache, nausea) for two days and hot flashes for the duration and a about a week after. All very manageable, just obnoxious. The second round, I had hot flashes throughout, but not as many as round one despite the higher dose. This third round was a bit more challenging. Headache and nausea for one day. Many hot flashes (still going on 4 days later) and some visual changes. The visual side effects were typically in the morning, just after waking up, and last only a couple of minutes. It was similar to the type of vision I experience prior to a migraine. It was not everyday and was brief. I have been very tired since I started all of this, but I also have lupus, so I can't say it's just the clomid causing the fatigue. 

None of these side effects really interfered with work or prevented me from doing anything. I have PCOS and don't have a regular cycle. I have not ovulated at this point despite starting clomid in April/May. Today, my ultrasound indicated that I have a follicle. For me, it was worth every hot flash to see hear that something is happening. 
  • Options
    Just to update everyone finished my first round of clomid and I did experience pretty serious hot flashes. But if this gives me out baby I'm ok with it. Hopeful we'll have good news in two weeks. Thanks for your support!
  • Options
    Good luck and baby dust!!! Try not to drive yourself too crazy in your TWW. Find a big project to work on to keep you distracted.
  • Options
    @andi1126 since you have tried it now, were the side effects as bad as you thought?  Was it as bad as what you were expecting based on your friends bad experiences?  The symptoms are not always fun and my DH always likes to point out my moods because of the pills.

Married: 8/29/2009
    TTC- since we got married (off and on)
    TTC with focus: Since July 2015
    Currently had 2 rounds of failed IUIs, failed TI monitored cycle
    December 2015: Starting 1st IVF cycle
    January 2016: Retrieval
    March 2016: Pending Transfer (I have 3 PGS tested embryos waiting for a womb)
    April 2016: BFP, the old fashioned way.

• Options
    I just finished my first round of clomid and I took them at night right after dinner so it didn't upset my stomach. I would say I had some hot flashes but nothing crazy. I also noticed my mood fluctuate a good bit. However, I had heard about both of these so I wasn't afraid of them and I don't think they were as bad as I expected.
  • Options
    I start my first batch of clomid on Thursday. Hoping for good results! The side affects will be well worth it of it ends up with us having a baby! And I agree that alot of the effects are symptoms you will have while pregnant anyway! Wishing you all the best!!
  • Options
    @babyexpress the only side effect I noticed were hot flashes, and they were no joke! :)
  • Options
    Thanks @ ybaby4! I'll know if it worked sometime next week. Praying not to see AF
  • Options
    I finished taking my pills earlier this week. I felt fine while taking them, but since completing them I have been a crying, hormonal hot mess! I've been taking the OP tests, and no dice yet, but the Dr. said it could take upwards of ten days to O. Either way, the hubs and I have been instructed to do it every other day this week. Fingers crossed for all of us!
    DX PCOS + mild male factor
    TTC since Dec. 2015
    Current Treatment: Metformin, Provera, Letrozole, Trigger, IUI
    Past Treatment: Clomid + Metformin x 3 BFN
    Letrozole 5 mg + Trigger shot + IUI = BFP!
    Beta confirmed 8/22
    EDD 5/1/17
  • Options
    andi1126 said:

Thanks @ ybaby4! I'll know if it worked sometime next week. Praying not to see AF

I just wanted to see if the clomid was successful for you? (It could be answered in another post, I am still new. )I have been doing vitex for a month and haven't noticed any improvement. (Aka I'm on CD 64 and still waiting on af lol)

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't taken clomid yet I should be starting it in the next couple days depending on what the dr says today, but I have taken femara and it didn't do me any good and I had no side effects (from what I understand they are pretty much the same thing?) However, if I do end up getting a baby out of it I will take the side effects! Good Luck! and @jennie0815 how did yours turn out? I am going down the same path as you (clomid 50mg, then 100mg if that doesn't work, and 150mg) please let me know!!
    NTNP since 2012
    Officially TTC #1 since January 2015
  • Options
    Unfortunately @twomommiestobe AF has come and gone. I've already done my second round of Clomid and my tests show I've been ovulating. We'll see!
  • Options
    I'm on my first round of Clomid. CD31 now, 3 days late. I am instructed to wait a week and if by next week monday I don't have AF I will take a PT and hopefully get a BFP!! On CD15 my GYN did an ultrasound and we saw 2 follicles. Hopefully it worked! 

My side-effects were headache and extremely moody during my 1st and 2nd week of my cycle. And actually been moody these past few days so I hope it's not because of AF. 

Best of luck to you all TTC-ing. 
    Much Love,
    Lili <3

Me: 30 DH: 25
    Diagnosed with PCOS: June 2012
    First Positive Pregnancy test: Okt 28th, 2015
    Due Date: June 24th, 2016

BabyFetus Ticker