Multiples

How long should RNs expect to work with twins?

Hi everyone! I am a Nicu nurse expecting twins, currently 18 weeks along. Was wondering if how long everyone is planning on working or when you did go out of work with twins!

My first ob told me when ever my body told me it was time and now last week another ob told me 28 weeks!! I have read 28 weeks in a few different books but wanted to see what other ladies, especially nurses made it to. The health of these 2 boys is the most important thing to me!!

Thanks in advance everyone

Re: How long should RNs expect to work with twins?

• I am a med-surg RN, currently 24w3d with twins. So far, I feel ok working my 3 12 hr shifts/week but am starting to feel my days are numbered. I am super sore by the end of my shift & often don't sleep well that night due to back pain. My OB told me he'd write me out of work whenever I'm ready. I can also do light duty (I.e. Sit at the telemetry desk) so I'm not completely out of work, if needed. I'm trying to push it so I don't eat up my FMLA before the babies are born but, as my OB said, keeping the babies in as long as possible is most important. My OB also said he's never seen a twin pregnancy work past 32 weeks.
    I think it's just important to listen to your body. As nurses, we tend to push ourselves beyond our limits & now is not the time to do that. If you are really feeling like you can't work any longer, push for your OB to take you out, or maybe try to see if there is a light duty option for you. Nursing is no joke not being pregnant, let alone with twins. I think we have much to be proud of!
    I am also curious to others experiences...
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • I am also having two boys ☺️ Yay!!
    DH (41)-no MFI
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
  • Loading the player...
  • I am a respiratory therapist and stopped at 29 weeks. But I work prn. You can make it to full term if you listen to your body. I am 32 weeks and 4 days with two boys with no signs of them coming any time soon. My aunt was induced with her twins 3 years ago at 39 weeks and she worked as a Physical therapy assistant up until the day she delivered. Everyone is different. Just do what you feel is best.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DrD30DrD30 member
    I'm a senior surgical resident.  I did full 24 hour call until 27 weeks and worked until 35 weeks including full OR days wearing lead aprons.  I felt pretty good until the very end but was very fit before pregnancy.  I definitely knew it was time to stop.  My babes came at 35+3 despite no sign of coming early.  
  • I don't currently work in a NICU, but I did at one time, for about 6 years.
    A few things to remember...as a nurse, you have trained your body over the years to ignore all the signs your body is screaming at you to listen to. Nurses develop "bingo bladder" because they hold their urine urges until their bladders stretch beyond what is healthy.  We ignore plummeting blood sugars because we haven't eaten for 8 hours but just don't "have time" to grab a bite.  We ignore aches and pains every time we lift/roll a patient or our legs are swollen to 2+ edema because we've been on our feet so long.

Also, although the NICU isn't as PHYSICALLY demanding as some of the floors that are constantly lifting 100+ pound patients, it is very emotionally demanding and stressful. Those constant alarms ringing going, and there's always that one baby on the unit who has everyone running their butts off and sweat dripping from foreheads!! Stress= bad news in regards to pregnancy. 

And I don't know if it's the same at your hospital, but at my hospital- the L/D/Nicu nurses always seem to come out with the worst complications!  Maybe it's just anecdotal, or maybe it's related to the high stress/intensity level of our unit. 

To sum it up.....PLEASE err on the side of stopping work sooner than you think you need to.

Congrats on your twins, and best of luck working it out with your job!
    Mel
    Starting first cycle of Clomid/Trigger/IUI with Donor Sperm in mid July!

• I don't currently work in a NICU, but I did at one time, for about 6 years.
    A few things to remember...as a nurse, you have trained your body over the years to ignore all the signs your body is screaming at you to listen to. Nurses develop "bingo bladder" because they hold their urine urges until their bladders stretch beyond what is healthy.  We ignore plummeting blood sugars because we haven't eaten for 8 hours but just don't "have time" to grab a bite.  We ignore aches and pains every time we lift/roll a patient or our legs are swollen to 2+ edema because we've been on our feet so long.

Also, although the NICU isn't as PHYSICALLY demanding as some of the floors that are constantly lifting 100+ pound patients, it is very emotionally demanding and stressful. Those constant alarms ringing going, and there's always that one baby on the unit who has everyone running their butts off and sweat dripping from foreheads!! Stress= bad news in regards to pregnancy. 

And I don't know if it's the same at your hospital, but at my hospital- the L/D/Nicu nurses always seem to come out with the worst complications!  Maybe it's just anecdotal, or maybe it's related to the high stress/intensity level of our unit. 

To sum it up.....PLEASE err on the side of stopping work sooner than you think you need to.

Congrats on your twins, and best of luck working it out with your job!

Great advice! My OB even said, "You are a nurse & will inherently push yourself further than you should". He told me I must force myself to sit when I can & force 8oz of water every 2 hours, even if it's chugging a glass in the nutrition room. Every appt, he asks me if I'm done working yet. It's most important to listen to our bodies. Our babies are #1 right now!
    DH (41)-no MFI
  • I worked full time until 26 weeks, dropped to part time for 4 weeks. I was put on bedrest at 30 weeks for a growth discordance and delivered at 36 weeks.

By 32 weeks, I felt like I could barely move. I will never know if it was b/c I had been on bedrest for 2 weeks or if I really grew so much in those 2 weeks!

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

• My OB recommended I stay active but also limit "physical and emotional stress". I did 24 hour call during my first trimester, now I am 22 weeks and just don't feel like I can work 12s anymore. He was fine with writing me a note to work 8s. I worked my first 8 on Saturday and barely made it. I came home and collapsed on the couch. Unfortunately my NM is refusing to accommodate my 8 hour shifts (even though we are short 2-4 nurses every shift from now until the end of August)! Since I'm per diem I have no choice-work 12s or quit.
  • I went out at 26 weeks.... But I was having intense gall bladder attacks and hospitalized with influenza a & b. I did, however, feel miserable and faint at work all the time prior to that due to hyperemesis! Twin pregnancy is no joke when your on your feet for 12-14 hours!
    IVF #1 September 2014 - Transferred one 5-day blast : BFN
    FET #1 October 2014 - Transferred two 5-day blasts: BFP!!
    << Due July 10, 2015 with our first baby! >>

BabyFruit Ticker