October 2015 Moms
Options

childbirth class

Hi ladies, 

So i have begun looking into childbirth class options, and found one that my hospital offers online, but it is $175 to register. Is it silly to pay for one? Are there plenty of free ones online, and if so, does anyone have one they would highly recommend? Also, comparing an online class to an in-person class, which do you think is a better choice. Do some of you think child birth classes are not even worth it? Lots of questions, I know. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks : )

Re: childbirth class

• Options
    I signed up for an in-person class, because I thought it would be more helpful than the online version. It's also at the hospital I'll be delivering at, so they give you a tour and everything. Mostly, I thought DH would be more focused on the topic if we did it in person....I don't want an epidural, so I want to be as most prepared as I can be.

That being said, I don't know if it is worth it, because my class isn't until August.
  • Options
    I start my class next week. It is at the hospital I will be delivering and is taught by the L&D nurses. It cost $40 and is one day a week for 6 weeks. I have heard great things about it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I start my class Aug 6 and it's every Thursday till Aug 27. Its at the hospital I'll be delivering at so i get a tour of the hospital and it's only $75. I have heard that it is very helpful.
  • Options
    kfry22kfry22 member
    I have registered for one that is four hours on a Saturday morning at the hospital I'm delivering at and it is free. A tour of the hospital immediately follows.
  • Options
    That sounds crazy expensive for an online class! I'm doing an in-person class at my hospital for $60, but I have heard there are area hospitals that offer them for free. With those, you don't have to be delivering at that hospital to attend the class. I would keep shopping around if I were you!
  • Options
    midwife101.com has some really good stuff. It's 70 dollars for a year membership and it covers breastfeeding and newborn care as well.
  • Options
    We started our 4 week (Monday nights) class this week! It's free and through the hospital. I would try the free ones before paying for one.
  • Options
    I did a weekend version of "birthing from within".  I really enjoyed it.  I wouldn't say it was necessary, but it made me feel a lot better having taking it with dd.  I felt like afterwards that there wasn't something I had overlooked about birth that I needed to know.  I also read that methods book and learned pretty much the exact same thing I learned in the class.

Honestly, if it makes you feel more prepared and you can afford it, I'd do it.  

• Options
    DH and I are halfway done a 4 week, 2 night a week course. Not only has it helped me feel more prepared, DH is starting to really understand what to expect. He has no prior experience with babies or delivery, so going to a class that's hands on for some things (breathing, baby care) will be more than worth it for us. Our class is free, offered through the hospital and the community college continuing education.
  • Options
    Thank you for all feedback everyone :) Sounds like I need to do some more research, and if I can't find a free course, it seems like there are certainly less expensive options to explore. I also think I am leaning towards an in person class more than online based on everyone's comments. Thanks again!
  • Options
    We are doing a natural birthing class that is all day and it is $180. You could also look into whether or not your heath insurance will reimburse you for a childbirth class (ours does).
  • Options
    We chose an in person class for the possibility of making baby friends. We're the oldest couple by a lot of years and the only non married couple but we've met some great people with babies due around the same time. It's a good way to meet new folks going through the same stuff as you.
  • Options
    Our hospital offers a free five week one that we will be doing. I'll also be taking two other short classes on child nutrition and general infant care. I'd much rather take it for free :)
  • Options
    I took a class at the hospital with my first, and since this will be hubby's first, I am taking the class again. I think the class is very helpful so you don't feel so lost on the big day :).
  • Options
    I have a friend who teaches online classes that are a little spendy, but they are so much more thorough and geared toward the type of families who are going med free and don't just want the hospital protocol run down.

Most hospital classes are not very informative unless your goal is to get the basics for how your hospital likes things done. But it varies so much I'd ask any local friends first, and maybe ask the coordinator what it covers.

Cheaper isn't always better, but you want to get what you pay for!
  • Options
    Talk to your insurance! My woman in charge of all the classes (birthing class, breast feeding prep and a class on how to prep for the first year with baby... all of which I REALLY want to take) and registrations is having me do that... You can't USE insurance to pay for them but sometimes they'll reimburse you depending on the insurance. She also said the hospital will be flexible about working with us on payments and/ or a payment plan. So yeah, talk to your insurance and talk to the hospital! 
  • Options
    We did the hospital one and, frankly, it wasn't terribly informative but we did get the tour of the maternity ward. We also got to meet with other local moms expecting around the same time whih was nice. I think the best part was just bonding with dh, and doing mini dinner dates after every class.
    The class was free. :)) :)