Babies on the Brain

The wait and the babies

Jlfoster0427Jlfoster0427 member
edited July 2015 in Babies on the Brain
Oh my gosh waiting to start TTC is so hard. I'm seeing a million babies and I just want to snuggle them all. This will be my first. How are you dealing with the wait?

Re: The wait and the babies

• jenfarm3jenfarm3 member
    edited July 2015
    It was a lot easier to manage my "want" before we actually put a tentative date on TTC. Now that we have, it's made it so real and I'm so impatient!

Luckily, we just got married a few months ago and moved into a new apartment. We bought all new furniture and I'm still in the process of decorating it so that's keeping my mind busy. Also, the fact that our new apartment is basically a closet, so the idea of having a baby in it is a no, no. Not gonna happen. LOL. So that's helping.

But I'm seeing babies everywhere! Everyone is announcing or having, it seems like, and my clock is turning into an alarm clock. :(
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• I am right there with you. This baby fever might just kill me. I leave today to start a 30 hour drive to AZ. It's going to be a long drive if I can't find something else to occupy my mind.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are on our 3rd month of TTC and we've been busy trying to finish getting our 1st house ready to turn into a rental property so that keeps us busy and offers plenty to worry about and figure out in our down time.  Also, working out for me is and always has been a big source of stress relief for me.  I'm hoping that once we do actually conceive if I can keep up my workout routine while TTC, that I'll be able to keep up my routine once I am pregnant for the most part. 

My best advice would be working out if you don't already for more reasons than one and taking up a hobby or craft or some sort.  Make a bucket list of things to do before baby comes and do as many as you can. 
  • Whenever I see tiny newborns, I remember my son and how tiny he was. My favorite heart melting memory was when he would stretch. Oh my goodness. He would stretch in a little peanut position, with his legs curled up and his head tucked in...and his scrunched face. AHHH you guys!!
  • We're about 1.5 years out from TTC for our first.  When we first got married a little over 2 years ago, I got hard core baby fever, but it went away quickly during the house buying process.  Then we bought the house and spent a year buying furniture, decorating, doing house projects, and I was feeling broke from all that.  So we set financial goals to meet before TTC, which I didn't expect us to meet for a while, but my husband got a big promotion about 9 months ago, and we've met most of those financial goals sooner than expected.  Now I have hard core baby fever again, but we decided to still wait a while.

I'm actually going a little crazy right now.  My SIL who got married 6 months before us, is already on her second round of babies and is expecting twins any day.  I'm not jealous because I'm so glad we've waited, but I know after the twins are born, I'm going to be gaga about babies again.

I figure the next few months will be super rough. Then I will get busy with the holidays and it won't be so bad.  In the spring we'll be doing some home improvements, so I will be busy with that.  Once that's done I can focus in on planning our TTC trip in the fall.
  • bmo88bmo88 member
    We are about 1.5 years away from TTC. We originally thought we would wait 5-7 years after getting married 2 years ago. However, after establishing our financial goals, accomplishing some career goals and really thinking about what it means to start a family, we decided to move up our timeline.

We still want to travel (going to Europe this Fall) some more, pay off student loan debt and save up some more money. We should be able to do all of these things in the next 1.5 years and be on track to TTC.

Some days, I am so busy I don't even think about our timeline, other days, it feels painfully far away.
  • Oh the feeling of it being painfully far away is rough. It took me awhile to get back to this level of baby fever and now this is all I can think about!
  • @bmo88 Where in Europe are you going?  We haven't picked a firm destination for our last big hurrah.  We want it to be some place we wouldn't bring a kid in the first couple of years.  Right now, Israel is at the top of the list, but we're not decided remotely. 
  • bmo88bmo88 member
    BlueBirdMB: We are flying into London and then going to Brussels, Germany, Italy and France (flying out from there).
  • bmo88 said:
    BlueBirdMB: We are flying into London and then going to Brussels, Germany, Italy and France (flying out from there).
    That's super ambitious!  How long will you be there?
  • EQKarli88EQKarli88 member
    edited July 2015
    My husband and I originally were going to start trying after our honeymoon which is in November. Do basically start trying December. He then reminded me I'd be VERY pregnant during our scorching hot summers. Yeeeea, not happening. So we moved it to start trying in the spring.
    I'm getting impatient, but I guess what helps me is doing everything I can now to prepare for it. It gives me motivation. Like... Financially setting money aside so I can take my full maternity leave, so I pick up hours at work (I'm a nurse). Being as healthy as I can be. My fridge is stocked of fruits and veggies. I've started taking vitamins regularly, not just when I feel like it. I got my husband doing the same. All this helps me with the "waiting game" because I'm doing it all so we can get pregnant when we want to. So even though we are not actively trying, we are preparing to start trying. It helps me to know that I'm doing something to prepare
    And when my baby fever gets really high I give my sister a call and take my cute but cranky loud nephew for half a day. I didn't realize cutting a piece of toast the wrong way would end in screams that the neighbors felt they needed to come over to see if everything was OK... Since I'm "new to having children around."....."Thanks for noticing nosey neighbor and yes, I just cut his toast diagonal instead of across, no big deal" and that there helps me deal :-) it gets me about a week of baby fever relief.
  • I won't be very helpful since I am saying the opposite of what others are saying. I am 26, and got married Oct 2014, we both wanted kids and thought to wait until about Sept 2015. My husband could tell I wanted one more and more as the days go on and so did he (more than he wanted to admit). One day we were just like screw it, let's start TTC now. So I got off the pill in May (we decided at the end of April that I would not start my new pill packet the beginning of May). 

There is never a right time to do things and everything will fall into place. You can start trying and it may not happen the first try or it could. I say just take the leap and see what happens. I understand if you want to finish school first and stuff like that but I don't understand trying to find things to take your mind off of it. Just give it a try and see what happens! Good luck with whatever you decide is best for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker