October 2015 Moms
Options

Baby's weight/size at 26 weeks. Should I be worried?

I had an ultrasound last Thursday to check on a few things and everything looked great (thank goodness!). The only thing was that the ultrasound tech commented on how large the baby is at 26 weeks. She asked if I've had my Gestational Diabetes test yet and I told her no, not for a few more weeks. I was surprised that she even made that comment in the first place. It is really making me worry. At 26 weeks the baby is already 2.8 pounds and dating two weeks ahead. The doctor agrees that she's definitely big, but she didn't seem too overly concerned. I'm a FTM here and probably just overthinking everything. Any general thoughts? Should I be concerned with how big she is or is it more normal than the ultrasound tech made it seem?

Re: Baby's weight/size at 26 weeks. Should I be worried?

• Options
    It may be that your actual due date is two weeks earlier.
  • Options
    The ultra sound tech shouldn't say anything to you regarding the baby's health at all. Its the doctor job to read the sonograms and inform you. I wouldn't worry if your doctor didn't discuss it. At 21 weeks my baby weighed 1 lb. I thought that was a lot but if you think about it... by the time we have our babies they will be around 6-10lbs. They have to grow at some point! :) As long as you are eating healthy and taking your vitamins I wouldn't worry. I cant believe they are making you wait so late for your Gestational Diabetes Test, but if you find out you have that, its easily treated. A friend of mine had it and said its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    rue:Drue:D member
    edited July 2015
    Your due date could be wrong or the baby could just simply be big. This chart says at 26w average fetus weight should be 1.68 lbs.

https://www.babycenter.com/average-fetal-length-weight-chart

That said, if your doc isn't worried then I wouldn't worry too much either.
  • Options
    My doctor told me yesterday that ultrasound measurements at this point can be +/- 2 weeks and not to worry. My baby measured on track but we have to have another to check cervix so she mentioned it to relieve any potential stress
  • Options
    At my 20 week ultrasound my baby was already weighing 1 pound and was measuring a week and 3 days ahead of our due date. I am almost 27 weeks now so I am curious what my baby is at.. But I wouldn't worry about it!! At least you know the baby is growing!!
  • Options
    I just had an ultrasound yesterday & my twins at 26 weeks are 2 lbs 7 oz & 2 lbs 5 oz! My 3 previous children were all 8 lbs and born at 39 weeks. My tech also asked if I had my glucose test, which is on Thursday, so no. But I've never had it in the past. I just know from experience that I have perfectly healthy good sized babies!! Don't worry about it, I'm sure baby is perfect!
  • Options
    I'll be 26 weeks tomorrow and my "little" guy is also measuring 2 weeks ahead at 2 lbs 4 oz. The doctors did not seem concerned yet but also mentioned my upcoming glucose test. I'm quite small at barely 5 feet tall and 100 lbs pre-pregnancy, so I hope he slows down a little bit!
  • Options
    I didn't have gestational diabetes and my second baby was large. I love big chunky babies!
  • Options
    My baby weighed 2lbs 7oz at my 26 week ultrasound today. His body measurements were 1 week ahead, while his head measured 2 weeks ahead. My tech didn't seemed concerned at all and said something about him being a healthy baby. I'm sure everything is fine! I have to say I was pretty surprised! DH and I are both under 5 foot 5 so our baby might come out bigger than us! Haha!!!
  • Options
    my baby was measuring 2.7 at my 26 weeks ultrasound & is in the 98th percentile but doctor is not concerned at all , she just said wow big baby & everything is perfect with the baby , so dont worry i guess we're just having big chunky babies lol
  • Options
    At 23.5 weeks my son was weighing 1lb 11oz and I was told he was in the 93 percentile. I got my 3 hour gestational diabetes test done early because they were worried because of his size, all healthy just turns out he’s a big baby! I wouldn’t worry about it !