July 2015 Moms

Anyone have baby's heart rate drop during labor?

So I gave birth on my due date of 7/1 to a healthy happy little girl. I had to be induced because my fluid was low. After 12 hours of cervadil, they started the Pitocin at 3:00am. Around 5:00am, the nurse came running in and checked to see if I was dialated. Then another nurse had me get in all fours and gave me oxygen. I guess the baby's heart rate had dipped. Then they had me get on my side. That did the job and baby's heart rate went back up. They thought that her cord may have had pressure on it. I think it all lasted about 5 minutes. Baby is healthy and fine but I was wondering if anyone else experienced something similar? I guess I have this fear that it could have caused damage? But that's just the mama worry on me. Her heart rate was fine for the next 9 hours till I delivered her. All if her tests came back normal and we were discharged the next day.

Re: Anyone have baby's heart rate drop during labor?

• This happened to my sister and it was basically due to the babies position and putting pressure on the cord. They did the same and positioned her on her side which returned his HR to normal. This happened a couple times during a her labor. There were no issues (he's almost 5). They never let his HR drop too low and it was never for a significant period of time so the change for long-term issues is very very low.
  • With my first, he had the cord wrapped around his neck twice and positional changes and oxygen didn't get his heart rate back up during contractions. Luckily I was able to push him out quickly as they were prepping to wheel me to the OR. I was so scared to even look at him when he came out, as I was sure there would be damage (heart rate dropping into the 40s the whole time they evaluated and prepped me for a section). However, he is now a chatty, active, well adjusted 2 year old. Sometimes, we get really lucky!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much for the prompt reply. It's just good to have some reassurance even though I know everything is fine. The nurse even told me after it happened that they don't consider it a new baseline until after 10 minutes. Glad to hear your sister's son is fine. My older sister had to labor part of the time on all fours for her second child because his heart rate dropped. I guess it's somewhat common? Thank you. I tend to be a worrier by nature and being a new mommy just amplifies that! :)
  • This happened to me, I delivered on Friday. Every time I tried to push her heart rate would drop to the 30s and 40s and they were whipping me around on my sides and all fours. We did end up getting rushed to the OR though and they started to prep me for a c-section. They let me try pushing one last time and luckily with an episiotomy I was able to push her out quickly. Cord was wrapped around her neck 1 time, not tight...but the pressure from pushing and her position put pressure on the cord each time. Definitely one of the scariest moments of my life, but we had a great team of doctors and nurses and are home and healthy now. Glad to hear people who experienced this years ago aren't noticing anyone term effects on baby, very reassuring :)
  • My baby's heart rate dropped when I was pushing. They gave me oxygen and told me if he wasn't out on the next contraction she was going to use the vacuum. I did not want that so I pushed harder and he was out. It was only a brief dip in his heart rate but still enough to freak me out too
  • Happened with my son. Luckily I only had to push for 20 mins, though forceps were used. His apgar score was low at first, then he bounced back to healthy numbers. Now he's and almost 3 year old smart, funny and kind little boy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This happened to me as well as I was pushing and they told me I had to get him out quickly or they might need to use a vacuum. I pushed as hard as I could, he came out and was totally fine.
  • Hi there - This happened during DS#1's labor 2 years ago. He's a healthy, happy, and quite precocious 2 year old. So, the labor situation didn't cause any damage to him.

Kate
  • This happened with our daughter. The outocin was stressing her and her oxygen levels dropped and I had a emergency csection.