April 2014 Moms

Handedness

So has anyone's LO picked a hand to work with most?  Play, feeding, etc?

My LO most often goes right handed, but he absolutely stinks at feeding himself with his right hand.  He does awesome with his left hand, but he usually refuses to use it.  It's so weird.

Re: Handedness

• I'd say he usually uses his right hand, but then I'll look at him (like right now) and he's totally going lefty! When do kids tend to really settle in to one hand or the other as their dominant hand?
    smushi
  • smushismushi member
    I think it takes a while before they commit to a dominant hand, but it's just so strange to me that he absolutely refuses (will not take an offered spoon) with his left hand.  But on the rare occasions he does, he's at least 15 times more accurate at getting the food cleanly to his mouth than his right hand.  Funny enough, my husband eats left handed, but does everything else with his right.  He's such a nerd, he would do homework while he was eating lunch, calculating with his right hand and scarfing with his left.  Efficient engineers...
  • Loading the player...
  • That is so interesting @smushi! That would be cool (and handy for him later) if he inherited your DH's handed-ness quirks. :)
    smushi
  • With my first, I'd say I wasn't fully confident that she was right handed until about 2. By then it was clear. But with this LO, I'm pretty sure now that he's right handed.
    smushi
  • I was sure by this age with all three of mine-all righties, but DD1 golfs/bats left handed, which is what DH does.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    smushi
  • I've noticed that LO will colour and eat with his right hand, but throw the ball for the dog with his left. Which is exactly the same for DH, who is right-handed but plays all sports left-handed.
    Sporty1216