Natural Birth

I Have A Tiny Question

If I have experienced doubling over ovarian cyst rupture pain since the age of 14 that feels like a knife being shoved in the abdomen and sliced through the rectal cavity (unable to move for an hour) as well as Colitis attacks since 5 years ago, that feels like someone squeezing the insides tightly and slicing it with razor blades (also unable to move or think), would I be able to handle the pain of natural labor?

Re: I Have A Tiny Question

• edited July 2015
    You can handle anything you want! 
    no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
    ::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
     Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • People who have not experienced that handle the pain of labor...

What is predicating the question, may I ask? Has someone said they don't think you can handle it?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Nobody has said that. I just wanted to ask women who have maybe already given birth naturally if they could compare the pain in any way. I should've just said that. I've never heard from any woman what it's like to give birth. Most women I know got an epidural and did it in a hospital. 

I've been watching natural water births on youtube and crying because it's so incredible. I'm thinking about making it a part of my birth plan when I do conceive. 
  • I had a m/c that was labor-like and the last contraction was 10 of 10 for pain ---- med-free labor (after my water broke) was that last contraction over and over and then beyond. Completely doable b/c there's a good purpose and an end in sight! I had an ectopic pg rupture that according to the surgeon was like a gunshot and I was incoherent and couldn't move --- med-free labor was that every 1-2 min for 30 sec, but I was glad for the other seconds - although I was still not coherent. Completely doable b/c there's a good purpose and an end in sight (m/w reminded me when needed)! And of course the recovery time is amazingly fast - for mommy and baby.

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The difference in labor is that you know it's coming, know that it's normal (your body was created to handle it!) and you have time to prepare for it. You can always go into labor planning on a natural birth in the hospital and later choose to include medications or epidural. Take the time to learn about coping mechanisms like relaxation techniques, breathing patterns, etc. They will be the most helpful to you during this process. Also make sure your partner is on board and prepared as well, or opt for a doula. They are wonderful and will help direct and guide you through the process. The most important part is to have a positive attitude. Take it one step at a time and try not to get overwhelmed. 
  • it sounds like you've had your share of pain already!

From my experience, natural birth works best (and is quite manageable) if you have a good support team, if you understand what is happening (so that you're not scared) and if you are in a place where you can get in "the zone." For some people this place is the hospital, for others it's at home or in a birth center.  I found the Bradley Method to be helpful with pain management. Also, try to think of labor as a lot of work, and try to not think of it as pain that is happening to you. 

You can do anything you put your mind to-- especially with a good midwife!
  • Thank you ladies for all of your replies. 

@SharonB222 Med free labor is a 10/10 pain level for 20 seconds every 1-2 minutes? That's what I think you're saying. I could probably handle that if it was only for an hour. How long did it take you to deliver?

@mcmullenjc I would probably feel more comfortable at home with just a midwife, my mother, sister and my husband. 

@lindzandjer11 You're right about understanding what's happening. I believe knowledge is power. I plan to research whatever I can so that I'm as mentally prepared as possible. And I'll probably be the type of Momma who will voice what's happening to everyone else while it's happening to reduce the fear in myself ha ha ha! That's just my nature! 
  • If I have experienced doubling over ovarian cyst rupture pain since the age of 14 that feels like a knife being shoved in the abdomen and sliced through the rectal cavity (unable to move for an hour) as well as Colitis attacks since 5 years ago, that feels like someone squeezing the insides tightly and slicing it with razor blades (also unable to move or think), would I be able to handle the pain of natural labor?
    My dad used to have to pick me up from school and carry me out to the car and into the house because my cramps were so bad that I couldn't walk. When I was in labor with my son, I was having medium contractions and they weren't as bad as the cramps I'd had in junior high. When they got hard, I got a shot of demerol and that was it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • The point of a natural childbirth isn't to say, "Eff you pain, I'm going to just push through you and you can suck it!" It's to have other non-medicated pain management techniques in places to help you get through the pain naturally. So you wouldn't just be toughing it out, you'd be doing things (like water birth, pressure points, massages, etc) to help make the pain bearable. 

Pain is too personal a concept to really be able to guess, though. Keep researching methods for natural childbirth (Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (the book), the Business of Being Born (Netflix documentary) are fantastic ways to start that journey. 

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • @BabyIntegers, yep, seemed so at the time. I had relatively fast labors. 1st was strong contractions for 6 hrs - started at 7/10; and 2nd was strong contractions for 2 hrs. The 1st time (without guidance) I kept asking my nurse "why am I doing this?" LOL. The 2nd time I had m/w and we agreed I'd say "wow, this really hurts!" which I did once or twice. All good! As they say every one and every pg is different! GL!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

• Thanks ladies, so much, for your comments :) 
  • Late to reply but answering for future mamas reading through here - you can do it! Nothing could prepare me for what labor felt like - not even menstrual cramps. I actually felt the majority of the pain in my thighs -- the way I described it was that if felt like I just got done running a marathon every time a contraction hit and I had my husband push down on my thighs as hard as he could. Weird I know.

What you CAN prepare for - is how you will handle things mentally. How will you self talk to get through it? I made a list of mantras that I told myself over and over again in the weeks before labor and when I got to the room I was able to go to that place in my head.

How will you handle things physically -- think about all the positions that might work, move around, walk around, talk to your birth partner/team about what helps you relax and tell them to be prepared to change things up if something isnt working. You may love a massage on a normal day but want to punch someone who touches you in the labor room. Have several ideas.

As for the ring of fire, its not fun, but I am ready to do it again for baby #2! So in retrospect, it cant be that bad :)

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

• Honestly, the way you worded your question makes it sound like you just want everyone to tell you that you can handle it. The truth is, no one can answer that for you. Not even you will know, until you are in labor. While it does sound like you've experienced some fairly significant pain in your lifetime, labor is very different for each woman. Sure, you do get those women who say that it wasn't bad, or the ones who say they didn't even know that they were in labor, etc. But let's be real~ they are few and far between. I'm not trying to discourage you, but please do as much research as you can. I read Ina May's book on natural birthing, as well as many articles on the subject. Basically, anything I could get my hands on that supported my desire for natural birthing. Just having experienced pain in your lifetime isn't going to prepare you for natural childbirth.