January 2016 Moms

DONT EVER TAKE LAXATIVE WHILE PREGNANT!!!!

warning TMI! I have been very constipated since I became pregnant! I haven't used the restroom for weeks... My nurse told me to use colace stool softener which didn't help so she said take ducolax... WORSE DECISION EVER MADE IN LIFEEEEEEEEE!!!! I took the pills at 6pm yesterday and I haven't been able to sleep since 3am last night it is now 2:00pm! I have the worse cramps ever felt in all my 26 years!!! I mean so unbearable I wanted to go to the hospital! My bowels did not pass at all! Around 10am I put on gloves and went inside to remove the blockage which was quite a lot. Still nothing. I drank prune juice and warm water. Nothing! After 12 long hard painful hours I decided to lay in a hot bath and 10 minutes later some relief! 30 mins later more relief! I'm starting to feel much better! Please don't ever do this!!!!!!! It literally felt like death or labor!!!! Or both at the same time!

Again! Please don't do this to yourself!

Re: DONT EVER TAKE LAXATIVE WHILE PREGNANT!!!!

• I know it seems gross (or maybe not, after what you had to do!) but enemas are the way to go. Guaranteed relief within 5 minutes and no having to hang out by the bathroom all day waiting for more to come out. I never would have made it through my first pregnancy without them! (Obviously check with your doc first to make sure they're ok with you using them)
  • Dulcolax even while not pregnant can cause that kind of stomach cramps (from personal experience :D). This sounds gross too but Dulcolax comes in suppositories that can inserted and then you find relief in 15 min without stomach ache. Since you went in with gloves I think you'd be OK with this.
  • Loading the player...
  • My mom told me that the bowl cramps can actually induce labour. It's a big no no to take a laxitive. I certainly wouldn't have even thought about it if it weren't for your post. Mind you I also wouldn't take anything without being told by my doctor or midwife, (I don't blame you for trusting your nurse).

Thanks for posting this for info purposes. I hope you feel better soon!
    STM - EDD June 24 '18
    DD - January 2016
  • nickicb7 said:

My mom told me that the bowl cramps can actually induce labour. It's a big no no to take a laxitive. I certainly wouldn't have even thought about it if it weren't for your post. Mind you I also wouldn't take anything without being told by my doctor or midwife, (I don't blame you for trusting your nurse).

Thanks for posting this for info purposes. I hope you feel better soon!

She did say laxative, but specified it was colace which is a perfectly acceptable and recommended stool softener for pregnant women. I hear you though.
  • tuitwotuitwo member
    Always try a stool softener before the laxative. The stool softener is not a stimulant so it shouldn't cause the cramping that a laxative can. I took fiber supplements and/or stool softeners throughout my first pregnancy (on top of getting the recommended amount of fiber in my diet), but I still had to use enemas on several occasions. My OB said to use them as a last resort.
  • Glad to hear you're feeling better!!!
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't been very constipated, but not nearly as regular as I was prior to pregnancy and yesterday my only bowel movement was extremely painful, so my husband told me to get laxatives before I end up with hemorrhoids. I didn't take his advice but I'm trying to get more fiber in my diet
  • I was taking Colace for a few weeks, and decided to stop because I thought I didn't need it anymore. I ended up not going for 3 days, and ended up taking milk of magnesia to hopefully make something happen. Unfortunately the blockage was so bad I had to do what you described...remove it manually. I'm back on the colace now. Once it's far down enough, the stool can't absorb water from your intestine anymore and gets dry and hard. I'm personally not going to let that happen again....it was horrible!! Colace for me, all the way. I've been going regularly every day with it.
  • SovvySovvy member
    It sounds like things were impacted rather than just constipated. If it had really been weeks then I'm not surprised you had such an experience.

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • Milk of magnesia followed up with a large glass of OJ. You will poop by morning but no cramping. Worked for me my last pregnancy.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Thank you all!!! I feel so much better now and now that I am eating better because my morning sickness has settled I will try to eat healthier I never want to experience that again! EVERRRRRRRRR lol
  • I'm So glad you posted this! I was constipated for 7 days, and was taking colace as well. Nothing was working, so my dr told me to take 2 exlax so I did, (Thursday) everything I eat since comes out like pee out of my butt. the first poo was so painful I thought I needed stitches. I was up ALL night going with terrible cramps and pain. I agree, DONT EVER DO THIS!
  • I second milk of mag. Prior experience (not pregnant) with exlax and others- never again.

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Just as another viewpoint, my Dr cleared me for both glycerin suppositories and Restoralax.
  • jjodomjjodom member
    I am one who suffers from this even when I'm not pregnant (lucky me...) to be honest dulcolax is the only thing that helps me. My advice is..

If you are continuously suffering from constipation, do not go more than 1 full day without going to the bathroom. If you have to take a laxitave with a stimulant, you can't wait 2+ days to take it. The longer you wait, the worse and longer the cramps. The stimulant is what causes the cramps