August 2015 Moms

Pack n Play

itoepickitoepick member
edited July 2015 in August 2015 Moms
I just got the Graco Pack n Play with Newborn napper.  Is it safe to let a newborn sleep in the napper overnight for the first few weeks?  I really don't want to take off the napper and changing table part because they were a pain to assemble and attach. 

Re: Pack n Play

• I have the same question!
  • Yupp! My kids slept in the newborn napper for 2-3 months :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you!
  • I'm so glad someone asked this, because I was wondering the same thing myself. We got the Graco Pack n Play with the attached napper and I couldn't quite figure out if it was safe for overnight or not.
  • Thj417Thj417 member
    Yup my guy slept in the napper for first 2-3 months.
  • I got this one specifically for my LO to sleep in overnight. Mom friends told me newborns sleep better in something that hugs them a bit rather than on a flat mattress. Will use a swaddle as well I think.
  • Good question. And do you use the strap each time? Or they can't fall out? The website doesn't say.
  • Yupp! My kids slept in the newborn napper for 2-3 months :)

Ditto with DS and this one will be too.
  • itoepick said:

Mine does not either, but they are designed for the baby to sleep in. We had no issues and I am pretty conservative/paranoid when it comes to my baby's health/safety and I have no worries letting my baby sleep in it.
  • @itoepick Hmmm. Mine vibrates and has straps for the legs and lower body. Maybe its because it rocks.
  • @itoepick if you look at the product description (I had to look at it on Babies R Us because Target doesn't play nice with my IPad) it says for infants under 3 months who can't roll over and infants under 15 lbs. As long as you stick with what the warning labels say, you should be just fine.
  • I was told that sleeping over night in the napper can cause the baby to get a flat head. That the napper is for short naps for the baby. The reason the bassinet part of the pack n play is hard, is the same reason crib mattresses are firm, that the baby will naturally move their head while sleeping, where as in the napper, car seat, etc. they won't have that natural motion, therefore can cause the flat head. Hope this helps. :)
  • I was told that sleeping over night in the napper can cause the baby to get a flat head. That the napper is for short naps for the baby. The reason the bassinet part of the pack n play is hard, is the same reason crib mattresses are firm, that the baby will naturally move their head while sleeping, where as in the napper, car seat, etc. they won't have that natural motion, therefore can cause the flat head. Hope this helps. :)

I have never heard this and never happened with my son. He has a perfectly normal (albeit big) head!

My pedi said you have to leave baby in the same position for an extremely long time for it to cause flat head. Much longer than just at night.

Just make sure naps occurs in other places/positions as well. DS slept in this or a rock n play for the first 3+mo and had zero issues.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DS slept in the napper the first month. We won't be using it this time around though.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We used the pnp mapper part last time, just for naps in the living room since that's where the pnp stayed. I don't think I would feel super comfortable with the baby sleeping in it every night unless it was a really temporary thing like 1-2 months max.
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our pack n play is in our living room , I used the napper for daily naps and occasionally overnight in the beginning couple of weeks before using the bassinet in our room every night .

• I used a crib. Infact I never even bought a pack and play until I had to travel with LOs and got just the basic one with no attachments.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We used the napper until he exceeded weight limit and then the regular pack and play bassinet (without incidence of flat head )
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• I used the pack n' play in our room at night with my first two, but I just used the raised mattress pad. We never used the napper, changer, or vibrator because I need to spread everything out and have room. I believe it's fine to let the baby sleep in the napper as long as you're close for the first 3 months or until the baby starts rolling.