January 2015 Moms
Options

Baby Led Weaning

I have seen so many posts about baby led weaning all over the Internet and I would like to try it. I am so nervous about starting it, i can't decide what foods to offer first.

LO is exclusively Breastfed now, but cries and fights me wanting food every time I try to eat. Anyone have any suggestions or is anyone currently doing BLW and have any tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance!
☺️

Re: Baby Led Weaning

• Options
    Just give baby some of what you're having. We're doing the baby-led method and did it with our older child, too. We started around 5 months. At this young age we often hold pieces of food to his mouth and let him gum down parts of it. He loves pretty much everything: bread, pasta, meat, fruit, olives, vegetables. He seems to particularly like asparagus and black olives.

There are a few things you should avoid: sliced apple, raw carrot (since large chunks of both can break off in their mouth). If you're eating chickpeas or blueberries or something that is round and could block the airway, just make sure to cut it or bite it in half yourself before offering it to baby.

When you feed baby what you're eating while you're eating it is very rewarding. It's also far less work than having to make separate food for them! Our older child is an enthusiastic eater who loves trying new foods and I feel certain that she's so into variety and food because it was always connected in her mind with participating in a group activity rather than having her food look and feel different or be offered at different times from the rest of us.

Just go for it and enjoy yourself!

Also, one last piece of advice: baby has a gag reflex which will help move food that is right at the back of her throat further forwards so she can swallow it properly. Don't freak out if she gags--she might do it quite frequently during the first week or so. But watch out for choking! They actually look quite different.