Military Families
Options

Switching from Tricare Prime to Standard for maternity care and beyond

I went into my MTF told today to confirm my positive HPT. When speaking with the Patient Services Administration representative he informed me that I would have no other choice, being that I'm active duty, but to be seen at Bethesda. My pregnancy high subsided- I had my heart set on a birthing center. Then I found an old post with other active duty females who did not wish to be seen at MTF and switched from Tricare Prime to Standard in order to have more options and control of their maternity care. I didn't even know this was even an option!!! PLEASE if you have switched from Prime to Standard can you share your experience? The process of switching? The copay for prescriptions? Referrals? Etc?

Re: Switching from Tricare Prime to Standard for maternity care and beyond

• Options
    Sorry to say, but if you are active duty, you do not have the option to switch to Standard: https://www.tricare.mil/standardextra (it's down at the bottom). However, the mother and infant care website for Walter Reed says that you have the option for a certified nurse midwife, so that may be something to look into. Good luck!